Advanced search

getting counselling- what type and did you go through GP or find someone yourself?

(6 Posts)
jaggythistle Sun 29-May-11 16:41:39

everything is getting a bit on top of me sometimes. i had counselling a few years ago and am hoping talking to someone might help.

i think i am getting a bit hard to live with! getting worked up over small things, kind of a cumulative effect i guess. DH getting a bit worried about me smile

anyway my question is as in the title, not sure how I'd feel going to the doc, so interested in opinions.

thanks in advance.

Chocattack Sun 29-May-11 18:27:58

I'm not sure about 'types' but I'm sure others with experience will come along. I've been through various routes over the years (never through GP because the waiting lists are too long). Probably the most successful to date was a MIND counsellor. Initially I think I had about 8 sessions free directly through MIND then after I'd finished they put me in touch with a couple of their counsellors that did private work then paid for over a year. It was based on ability to pay - this was 6 years ago so not sure if they still do this but worth enquiring with your local MIND.

If you work it's worth checking with your employer to see whether they have access to sessions. Some larger employers do limited sessions (mine did six). Depending where you are you should also be able to self-refer to IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) - my GP gave me my local IAPT telephone number - although there is likely to be waiting lists for counselling and CBT.

jaggythistle Sun 29-May-11 18:42:36

thanks. smile

by 'type' i was meaning CBT etc, sorry if that didn't make sense!

totallylost Sun 29-May-11 19:05:51

I am having counselling through mind. I did not go through a GP but phoned them direct. I had an assessment session when they assessed what sort of counselling would be best for me and of course whether they felt I would benefit from counselling. As I understand it CBT is how to deal with specific problems by changing the way you react to them - DH has had this for panic attacks and phobias.

I have self esteem issues which have affected all my relationships so we are looking at why I think in such a way and why I follow repeated patterns in relationships.

I believe if you go through your GP you only get a certain number of sessions (although that could vary between counties) and then if you need more therapy you may have to move to a new therapist.

Mind is a voluntary contribution of £15 or more.

Chocattack Mon 30-May-11 21:15:45

Jaggythistle you made perfect sense! Clearly I didn't! grin What I was trying to say was that I don't know the name of the 'type' of counselling that I've had. I do know that I've never had CBT (in the past 10 years I've twice been deemed unsuitable and am now waiting again to hear whether I've been put forward again for a preliminary assessment). MIND sounds like a good way to go. Hope you manage to get some help.

Totallylost it's good to hear that MIND still do counselling. Am I correct in reading into your post that they now don't restrict the number of sessions? (because of the voluntary contribution?). Good luck with your counselling.

jaggythistle Mon 30-May-11 21:29:59

I'm not sure what the MIND equivalent is if there is one in Scotland, but I'm looking into it smile

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: