Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

how to find the right counsellor / Therapist

(5 Posts)
sprinkles77 Sun 29-May-11 14:33:14

I've been on the BACP website and found local counsellors / Therapists. How do I know what approach will suit me? Does it even matter if I get on with the person providing it? I found one lady who has training in lots of different approaches who says she uses what ever combination she feels appropriate for that client. Does that sound OK? She appeals cos she seems to be about my age. I went to someone before who was OK, but it felt a bit like talking to my dad as he was a middle aged man. Is that reasonable....to feel like someone closer in age might be easier to open up to? (especially as my dad is the last person I'd talk to!)

sunshineatlast Sun 29-May-11 14:38:33

The lady you have found sounds like she has a range of approaches which she can use to suit the client. You also say she appeals to you so why not give her a go?
You sound as if you have a good self awareness regarding your dad.
I would go with my gut reaction. You need to be able to trust whoever you choose.
Bear in mind its not just down to them, its down to you too. You need to be able to work together.

sprinkles77 Sun 29-May-11 14:45:25

Thanks. Will call her on Tuesday I think.

madmouse Sun 29-May-11 15:48:09

In my experience finding someone with whom you click is more important than how many techniques they know. So yes, if you feel you can work with this lady give it a go. If it doesn't work you can jsut stop and try someone else.

sprinkles77 Sun 29-May-11 19:19:40

yeah, I guess it's like a lot of professional relationships, you need to get along, and qualifications are a guide but not a guarantee

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: