Advanced search

Dh off to ask for anti-depressants, any info please...?

(4 Posts)
hangonasec Sat 28-May-11 21:06:04

My dh and I are in the process of separating. I think he is bi-polar and has been for as long as I can remember. He has finally said he is going to the GP to ask for help. He isn't saying this as a last ditch to keep us together, he still wants us to separate, but for the sake of our children I am pleased that he seems to be doing something positive.

My worry is this, if he actually goes to the GP then this will be HUGE for him. This is a man (a real blokey bloke!) who never ever goes to the docs, has been once in the last 15 years. Never takes a tablet for anything, no matter how poorly. Our GPs are crap. Surgery is going through a real period of change, am not sure who'll he see, what respose he'll get. Also my worry is what they'll give him. A while back they gave me 10mg citalopram as I had breathing difficulties and the GP said it could be anxiety and this could help. It didn't. Was referred to the hosp. Saw a lovely consultant who felt it was prob asthma and she said 10mg is such a low dose it wouldn't have helped me anyway. Are anti-depressants linked to your size?! Don't mean to sound ignorant my dh is a huge guy, tall and heavy, will he need a stronger dose? This is just such a massive step for him I want it to be succesful as there's no chance he'll ask for help again if this doesn't work.... Grateful for all replies, hope I've made sense x

Keziahhopes Sat 28-May-11 22:16:26

Hi, anti-depressants are not, as far as I know, linked to size - but Gp's traditionally start someone off at the lowest dose possible (even if it is not a therapeutic dose) and build the dose up gradually, to avoid problems with side effects etc. How bizarre to get citalopram for breathing difficulties, and it is not always the case you get an AD the first time you see a gp. If suspicion is bipolar then the Gp should send Dh to see a consultant for diagnosis and appropriate medication - which may not be citalopram. Could you go with him, to ask for referral - as your gp didn't seem to do the best for you with citalopram instead of checking asthma out. And even if Dh given an AD, the gp should ask your dh back to monitor dose and monitor his progress.

nomadwantshome Sun 29-May-11 07:01:33

Go with him if he'll let you. If not, can you not phone the surgery in advance and tell them your concerns?

hangonasec Wed 01-Jun-11 09:29:51

Thanks for your help and advice. We are going tomorrow, have been told its a good GP we're seeing so fingers crossed. Separation is on hold whilst he seeks help. This is such a major step for him so here's hoping it goes well.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: