Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Diagnosis of ADD in adulthood

(5 Posts)
jellybrain Tue 24-May-11 12:38:44

Has anyone had experience of this? COuld you tell me how you broached this with GP, family etc. I know self diagnosis is not the best way to go but I am fairly typical of someone with ADD (I think) and have struggled with stuff for years and really want some help dealing with it now.
My feeling is that I shouldn't mention ADD but should arrange an appointment with GP to discuss. It feels a bit odd though as I'm not ill as such. WOuld it be more appropriate to find a local support group for example.

MyBrainIsOutOfTune Tue 24-May-11 13:05:25

I don't have any answers for you, but am following this with interest as I'm wondering about the same things. I saw my GP, who suggested I should contact the psychiatric department at the students' health services (am at University). I had my first appointment today, and I am slightly terrified. He didn't really say anything about possible help, he just asked 'probing' questions whenever I stopped talking. And I had to fill out a form. Hopefully he will have some ideas about what we can do after a few sessions.

As to the diagnosis - my impression is that GPs become a little annoyed if you come to them and demand to be screened for this or that particular diagnosis (not that I do this often you understandblush) You need to find out what particular problems you want help with (concentrating, sitting still, following up assignments, be places on time, focus etc.), and probably embellish those a little if needed to get their attentiongrin I think it would be helpful to have a look at some of the questions they are likely to ask, and to have some examples of your experiences ready in mind, because my head often completely blanks out if I'm asked a question I'm not prepared for - and I'm also usually very vague, and then I don't get my points across.

I think a support group could be helpful with support and in suggesting ways to live with ADD. I'm not sure what they could do about the muddle in my head thoughconfused Many people with ADD also suffer from other illnesses as well, and I guess you'd need a professional to see if that were the case.

jellybrain Tue 24-May-11 13:30:20

Thanks for your quick reply MyBrain. I will try my GP but will complete a diary first. I can make a long list of examples no problem. I know what you mean about the blank mind - I often find myself asking 'WHy didn't I say x or y' after a conversation.

I assume your quite a bit younger than me if your at Uni (I'm in my 40's) do you think ADD has held you back at all. I didn't go to uni myself but have done professional qualifications since however I don't think I've reached my full potential and though I've remained in the same field I have tended to move from job to job every couple of years. Despite positive appraisals I have a tendenancy (I'm always being told this is unfounded) to feel I'm under achieving and jumping ship before I'm found out or otherwise I get distracted by the lure of something new.
I will try to keep coming back and see how you get on and let you know what happens with me too. Having said that my lack of organisation may either mean I post loads all at once or nothing at all. Like you I sometimes wander what others would make of the muddle in my head!

MyBrainIsOutOfTune Tue 24-May-11 14:07:18

Yes, I do think ADD (or whatever it is) has held me back. I quit school at 16 because it became impossible for me to go there everyday and just sit there listening to the teachers for hours. Nobody understood why I quit, because I was always the smart onewink I've spent years taking the exams privately and doing other things while waiting for the possibility to start studying. So I'm an 'old' student, at 31. I've made it through the last years of studying because so much of the work is possible to do at home, in my own time, but every seminar/lecture is a pain. I'm also easily distracted into new topics/areas, but I think studying has worked with this so far, because while I study the same topic in general, the courses are different each semester, so there's always something new. I'm about to start writing my master's thesis, and I'm very worried that I won't be able to keep my interest (or focus) up for a whole year. This (and the thought that I will have to start working after finishing, and then what will happen) is one of the main reasons why I finally gave in and sought help (always wanted to manage on my own). I just hope the help will actually helpgrin

Good luck with your GP!

hsurp Sat 28-May-11 08:31:39

I was diagnosed with ADD when I saw a Psychiatrist. My GP only filled my script when I had to change Psychiatrists since my previous one retired. I started though with my GP, with my Mom, about my Depression and not being on an "even keel". It's always good to have someone with you that has witnessed your behavior. I was told to see a Psychiatrist so I did. I went through a few because of their own reasons to expand, they don't take my insurance, etc. I don't think you can go wrong with either doctor. But you might get there faster by finding a Psychiatrist that takes your insurance and going there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: