Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

help

(19 Posts)
KalokiMallow Sat 15-Jan-11 20:08:45

I don't feel good. Like I'm not attched to my body, feel really dizzy and like my legs are a million miles away.

Breathing is hard.

Is this a panic attack>? What do I do?

madmouse Sat 15-Jan-11 20:21:01

Breathe out Kaloki - switch from focusing on breathing in to breathing out

madmouse Sat 15-Jan-11 20:21:37

can you walk? it reminds you where your legs are and helps your oxygen levels to normalise

madmouse Sat 15-Jan-11 20:22:25

if you think it is not a panic attack in your state of health (if I remember correctly) you may need to call 999

brightlightsandpromises Sat 15-Jan-11 20:23:25

it is a panic attack so dont panic - if that makes sense. Go with it.

Do this, imagine a window, like on the playschool house, breath in, following the line from the top lefthand corner to the right, now out, folliwing line to botom righthand corner, keep doing this around the window until you start to feel better.

The fact that you can still type means you are in control, this WILL pass.

Talk to us, keep talking

madmouse Sat 15-Jan-11 20:23:29

I'm posting in short bits so it doesn't take too long for an answer to appear

madmouse Sat 15-Jan-11 20:24:23

you there Kaloki?

brightlightsandpromises Sat 15-Jan-11 20:25:23

hope you ok x

madmouse Sat 15-Jan-11 20:35:09

Kaloki can you tell us how you are doing?

KalokiMallow Sat 15-Jan-11 20:50:13

Thank you. DH noticed I wasn't doing well and helped, as did your posts.

Not feeling wonderful now, but that was awful

madmouse Sat 15-Jan-11 20:53:03

Good, glad your DH was there and you have calmed down.

Important to remember: panic attacks are not serious and nothing to be scared of. Just your body getting a bit over excited. (If I had a pound for every one I've had yadayadayada wink

Still here if you need support x

KalokiMallow Sat 15-Jan-11 20:55:43

Thank you.

Depression I'm used to.
Self harm I'm used to.

Anxiety/panic attacks is a whole new thing, and I'm struggling to cope with it.

brightlightsandpromises Sat 15-Jan-11 20:59:50

ah, glad you are feeling better. So know how you feel. Might i suggest bachs rescue remedy, works for me and ive had some humdinger panic attacks i have

madmouse Sat 15-Jan-11 21:01:10

when you have a panic attack you start breathing too deeply and/or too quickly.

The oxygen level in your blood gets too high - you start to fee ldizzy, get something that feels like a tight band round your chest and pins and needles or odd feelings in your limbs.

Frustratingly your immediate response is to try and breath more/deeper which makes it worse.

But that's all it is, too much oxygen. Keep telling yourself that it is annoying but innocent.

Brightlight gave a really good suggestion of how to focus your mind away from it and distract your mind. i use some mindfulness techniques: Focus in absurd detail on my surrounding, feel the cold floor under my feet, smooth steering wheel in my hand, red car behind me, green leaves on the tree, indicator goes tictoctictoc etc.

You have a lot going on in your life judging from other threads and especially when you are trying not to sh the stress needs to go somewhere.

madmouse Sat 15-Jan-11 21:01:50

oh yes definitely rescue remedy - although i tend to forget taking it when I really panic hmm

KalokiMallow Sat 15-Jan-11 21:13:25

Does that help? I have some that I tried for insomnia! Shall find that then.

I'm very grateful for MN right now, it's good to have somewhere to go when I'm struggling

brightlightsandpromises Sat 15-Jan-11 21:17:49

Mnet saved my life! im not joking.

Yes Bachs does help, it is very effective - even my DP swears by it now. I reckon i do a bottle a month! lol

madmouse Sat 15-Jan-11 22:10:09

I take the rescue remedy pastilles everywhere and they do help to keep level, I find they also help when I get a little too stressed about something without panic

GooseFatRoasties Sun 16-Jan-11 12:54:12

Thinking of you Kaloki. What you are going through with your landlord and the council is terrible. xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: