Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

I can feelt hose old feelings returning, how can i stop it now?

(8 Posts)
anonandlikeit Mon 10-Jan-11 18:44:21

A couple of yrs back i suffered a period of severe anxiety & was off work & ill for several months.
I went on to citalopram for a yr & it def helped.

Over the last few weeks i've felt increasingly anxious, over the last couple of days have been very tearful etc.

I suppose its good that i am recognising all the signs earlier this time but how can i stop it before it gets worse, how can I relax & feel better without going back on the meds??

All ideas greatly received. Thanks

SammEC Mon 10-Jan-11 21:40:24

Firstly - i could have wrote that post, I have recently become very panicky and tearful, panicking over the flu epidemic, i too was on Citalopram, and they helped me. I came off them as i felt better, but now i realise that it was a bad decision and am back at the docs on thursday to go back on them - if they work why not!!!

Good Luck, life is too short to just get by, I realise that I cannot cope with my irrational fears of panic and it does my family no good whatsoever to see me this way.

Take care of yourself X

clivesummer Mon 10-Jan-11 21:47:05

Why not have a chat with your GP and explain how you're feeling. You don't necessarily have to go back on medication BUT if you do, don't feel like you're taking a step backwards. You won't be. As you say you're recognising the signs and doing something positive. You've already come so far and achieved lots. Well done. x

Granny23 Mon 10-Jan-11 22:07:15

I am permanently on citalopram as I have clinic depression. I normally tick over not bad, neither happy nor sad, but since Christmas have plunged into the depths, although I am steadily improving again. My daughters pointed out that exactly the same thing happened last Christmas/New Year and the year before too. I expect it is the mid-winter blues or SAD and I will continue to feel better as Spring approaches.

I would second SammEC on the benefits of Citalopram, not only for yourselves but also for your family, friends and work colleagues. My doctor persuaded me by pointing out that if I had diabetes (also caused by a chemical inbalance in the body) then I would be glad to take a pill that helped for the rest of my life. Depression is not a sign of weakness or inability to cope - there are no prizes for battling through without resorting to medication.

Unfortunately it has hard to think straight when you are afraid and anxious about everything and attempts to formulate a plan or make a decision just seem to throw up more difficulties and problems. I find that I need an outsider - DDs, Dsister, BF - to tell me to get back to the doctor as when I am at my worst I try, and fail, to pull my self up, all by myself, which cannot work. It is like a quagmire - the more you struggle the deeper you sink in. You need a helping hand (which is what citalopram is) to get out of the depths.

Granny23 Mon 10-Jan-11 22:49:27

That should be clinical depression obviously. Our clinic is actually qite a cheery place.

anonandlikeit Tue 11-Jan-11 01:37:49

thank you all so much for your kind words.

I definately don't want to be back where i was a couple of yrs ago so i guess taking action now is the sensible thing to do.

I feel like a bit of a failure i guess as there is no reason for me to feel this way. I have a loving family, a job I enjoy with a great boss..... I did have an emotional few months before xmas (just the sort of stuff all families have to deal with) nothing too major and everything is settled again now.

Alos i think i amscared too, when i took citalopram last time i remember feeling worse before i felt better. Not sure if that was the side effects or because i left it too long before taking them - or maybe a bit of both?

SammE I hope you get on OK on Thursday, i spose I'll be making myself an appnt tomorow!

SammEC Tue 11-Jan-11 11:48:12

You are by no means a failure, you are doing the right thing by accepting you have a problem and need help, depression and anxiety is an illness and needs treatment, get that appointment booked!

My mood has already lifted slightly just because i know i am going to get help now!

take care! XXX

anonandlikeit Tue 11-Jan-11 13:17:02

I've ade an appnt too and actually feel a little better already.
Thanks Again x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now