Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Has anyone taken Citalopram for PMT

(9 Posts)
TheRuralJuror Tue 04-Jan-11 13:47:46

Did it work, and how bad were the side effects?

Thankyou

TheRuralJuror Tue 04-Jan-11 20:08:44

Anyone?

BrokenBananaTantrum Tue 04-Jan-11 20:15:49

Hi. I took citalopram off and on for three years after the birth of DD. For me it worked really well. I didn't suffer side effects as such until I was coming off them. It is really really important to come off very slowly when you are ready. I did find that it gave me some room in my head so I could start to get myself well. They didn't make everything ok overnight and initially made me anxious but for me it was worth it. Have you been offered counselling as well?

skyswept Tue 04-Jan-11 20:19:06

I take citalopram for migrains/pmt/depression etc.

It works very well for PMT. My periods have been easier and I've been less GRRR if you know what I mean. I would say I didn't notice a difference until I was on 30mg and took a few months till I had a regular calm. Good luck

BrokenBananaTantrum Tue 04-Jan-11 20:24:23

Oops sorry. Read your op wrong. I read pnd not pmt blush ignore my rambling....

skyswept Tue 04-Jan-11 21:12:43

Ah the side effects of nausea were quite for me and took about 6 weeks to wear off but the positive effects outweighed that so has been worth it for me.

TheRuralJuror Tue 04-Jan-11 21:34:39

Thankyou (please don't apologise for rambling, brokenbanana, I can ramble with the best of them, and although I have primarily been prescribed them for PMT, the dr thinks I may be suffering from PND as well).

I have read some horrible things about the side effects, so it is good to hear about them not being so bad.

I just have this fear of anti-depressants, and at the moment the 'grrs' are at bay and I am trying to kid myself that I am on an even keel. Of course, in reality I know that come the end of next week, the first feeling of crapness will start creeping in, and I'll start crumbling.

Am I right in thinking that the worst of the side effects are only for the first couple of weeks?

BrokenBananaTantrum Tue 04-Jan-11 22:07:45

Thanks rural. I was in a bad place when I started taking them so perhaps didn't notice the side effects as much. I certainly didn't experience any nausea tho just more anxious initially. Don't be afraid of taking anti dependants. If you had a physical illness you would treat it appropriately....

JustAnotherNameChanger Wed 05-Jan-11 22:11:34

Juror

I have just started on CIT and I am on day 11. I have not had any side effects except for feeling more tired (been sleeping 12 hours a night) and for the first couple of days i had a funny taste in my mouth.
I did have a headache one day but this of course could have been a coincident.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: