Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

fluoxetine

(12 Posts)
maddie04 Sun 02-Jan-11 02:32:19

Hi everyone I am on fluoxetine and was just wondering how this ad made you feel as I feel awful on it.
Been on it for 3 months!!!

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 02-Jan-11 03:06:15

tbh it didn't do much for me, I had it during pregnancy though so I don't think I was on a lot of it. Can you go back t the gp / whoever prescribed it to tell them how you feel?
Do you mean it's making you feel sick/lethargic/ all the listed side effects, or that it's not working for your head?

maddie04 Sun 02-Jan-11 15:16:09

Hi, yeah its making me feel dizzy and feel as though my whole body is shaking.
I also feel as though I am still really suffering with my pnd dont know what to do!!

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 02-Jan-11 22:53:24

Sounds horrible. well worth heading back to the GP or whoever you've already seen about it, it may need the dose adjusting or something entirely different. Try to look after yourself, not that it's easy to make time for yourself with small folk around. and keep posting here, hopefully someone else will be along with more knowledge than me!

Lynli Sun 02-Jan-11 22:57:36

I took fluoxetine and found it really helped.
I had the problems you mention but they settled down after about 6 weeks.

My DD took it and she felt awful and become much worse.

Definitely go back to your GP.

NanaNina Mon 03-Jan-11 00:37:07

Yes, go back to GP ASAP. The thing with ADs is that what suits one person doesn't suit another, and it is a matter of trial and error before the right one for you is found. 3 months is far too long to be suffering like this.

maddie04 Mon 03-Jan-11 10:52:02

Hi thank u for replys think i will go back and see gp as i really feel as though i am getting worse.
My husband takes care of all the children just now and has had to take time off work I feel as though i am just here for the sake of it and not really any help to anyone or really needed eiter.
I just get scared that i might not ever feel better and then whats the point !!!!!

MrsShrekTheThird Mon 03-Jan-11 21:22:11

Maddie, you will feel better, I promise you. They just need to get the right medication for you to be able to see your way through it. Meds are a good boost to get you on the right track, and it's such a shame you've not had the right thing or right amount of it so far. Please hang in there, that hopelessness you feel with PND because you're not able to care for your little ones makes things loads worse, but so many of us have been through it and have eventually got out the other side, you will enjoy your family and your life again, but you need to get yourself well first to set the ball rolling. Your DH sounds fab, start a thread on here if you want help, and above all be patient with yourself.

maddie04 Tue 04-Jan-11 01:59:08

Those were such lovely words thank u MrsShrekTheThird, I am looking forward to coming out the other side, thank u xx

MrsTucky Fri 07-Jan-11 02:36:47

hi Maddie, I'm another who's been on it....and it worked for a while for me, but then the effects wore off.
Do go and see your GP. As has been said before, its all trial and error. Wat works for one, won't work for another.
The help IS there, but as hard as it is, YOU have to keep going back and asking for more help, when the meds don't work. Believe me, I know.
My personal prob is that my meds only seem to work temporariy, then I have to go back and start again, and I know I'm not the only one living like this.
As many times as it takes, you keep going back and asking for new med/help......I've suffered on and off like this for 18 years (dont despair, I just want you to see that sometimes there is no magic wand, but as long as you keep asking, you'll get there.....and it all comes back to trial and error)
Keep going, and keep asking. You WILL get back to wanting and being able to care for your little ones. And do NOT feel useless. I promise you your babies KNOW you're there, and they always will know that and love you regardless.
Mine are 16 and 18 yo now, and we get on great !! You too will get there. I thought at one point they were better off without me, but that is so NOT the case.
PND is horrendous !!!! but there is light at the end of the tunnel ( even if it is temporary). That is a solemn promise to you.....and I don't give my promises willy nilly.
With the support of your hubby, you will get there. Many happoy thoughts your way xx

maddie04 Sat 08-Jan-11 03:13:51

Thank you MrsTucky after having such a bad day today i am still up and came on here and read your message........ what kind words and it kind of makes me feel better knowing there are other people out there who are going through the same thing, as i felt as if i was going crazy because when i looked around at other mothers they all seemed to be doing and acting the way i wanted towards my children.
I think i will definately make another app at docs just so hard to find the confidence to go but thank you so much and take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mumtomiaandjas Sat 08-Jan-11 12:58:05

Hi everyone.
Im new to mumsnet, but came acroos this thread about 'Fluroxotine' or Prozac as its former name was.
I have been on and off this drug for many years now, but for the past 9 months have taken myself of this, even tho doctors say you need to wean yourself of it.
I got to a point in my life where i realised 'I' was the only person who could really change how 'I' felt, and how i dealt with my depression.
It did help me for a while but to be honest,i wanted to help myself, without drugs.
I changed my pattern on a daily basis, firstly i used meditation to relax my mind and thougts, and took a long hard look at my life and what i wanted to change in it.
I am happily married, have two beautiful daughters, and battling with depression has been an up hill battle, but i feel free now.
I look at what i have around me and realise i am truley blessed, i spend more time doing more things with my kids, and try and not have time to dwell on things
I still feel 'low' on somedays, but i go look in the mirror and have 'words' with myself lol.

Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about getting out there and dancing in the rain!

Takecare ladies & smile everyday

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: