Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Depression and social occasions

(4 Posts)
existenceisfutile Thu 30-Dec-10 16:28:57

I have namechanged.

I've been on Citalopram for about a month now and I'm feeling a lot better.

dh's family are currently visiting and want us to go for a meal sometime. Their eldest daughter will babysit.

Trouble is, I have terrible social phobia and can't cope with stuff like this. I'm okay at work and being with people for short periods, but I just can't face up to going out. None of them know I'm being treated for depression. They do know I'm a bit 'odd' about stuff, but just treat me normally, which is kind, but doesn't really help me.

I just want to crawl into a corner and avoid people even though the actual low mood does feel a lot better.

What can I do to get out of this meal? Should dh just tell them the truth and allow me to remain in my comfort zone, or should I just stress myself out and go to the meal? I also have a thing about going out at night. I can cope with lunchtimes, but not being out in the evenings. I don't know why this is, it's just the way I am.

I'm also feeling a bit unwell due to having a tummy bug and I've been working all over Christmas as well, so I'm quite tired.

Scruffyhound Thu 30-Dec-10 17:56:09

Maybe DH parents are trying to help by taking you out for a meal to give you a break and are worried? What about saying I have had a tummy bug and are not really up to going out just in case but we could have a take away instead then they think they have helped and you get to stay at home. Maybe give your self some more time on the drugs and then if this happens again get DH to tell them? How comfortable are you with them knowing? Hope you resolve it. Good luck

existenceisfutile Thu 30-Dec-10 17:59:05

I feel a bit embarrassed if find out and don't want to be judged. I have a bit of an antisocial personality at the best of times, but when I'm depressed I just can't be bothered with people apart from dh and the dcs.

GingerbreadGiraffe Thu 30-Dec-10 18:14:33

Hi

Wanted to post and offer sympathy. I've been in your shoes with undiagnosed/untreated similar issues and its awful when you have to go out to places you dont want to etc.

Can you find a way to make it lunch time event instead? Say you want the DCs to join ?

Hope you get it sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now