Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

anyone else completely lose the plot when their period is due??

(14 Posts)
neverenoughMEtime Mon 20-Dec-10 09:45:12

I can't cope with this at all! Im just recovering from severe postnatal anxiety and agoraphobia, doing great thankfully!

But every time my period is due, i feel so out fo control for 2 or 3 days. Crazy obsessive thinking, writing lists about everything, my thoughts race so i could just stand there and wring my hands thats how it feels! Im shaky, jittery, constantly worry about everything. If DH is late home ive already imagined getting a terrible call and rushing to hosp and all the horridness that would follow. It is absolutely awful. I don't sleep well these 2-3 days either. Feel constantly on edge and sick.

I wake up after my period has started and i feel totally different!!! Back to normal, calm, no racing or scary thoughts or anything!

What on earth can i do?? I can't cope with it, for these few days i feel mad. Actually crazy. Please help!

Have to take DD to doctor now will check back later. Im a shaking jittering mess as i type this! period is due today Arrgghhhh!

orangeflutie Mon 20-Dec-10 19:53:45

Hi it sounds like you've been through a lot.

I often lose the plot too when my period is due. At the moment I'm extremely premenstrual and am much worse this month as circumstances seem to have tipped me over the edge.

I found out last week I've got to have an operation in the next few months and my DH has been away for nearly three weeks and was supposed to be back yesterday but has been delayed because of the snow My depression seems to have returned. I thought it might be a blip but I'm having problems sleeping again when I had been OK. My sleep problems are worse when my period is due and my anxiety normally increases, but at the moment I'm feeling very tearful and much more anxious than normal. I've been advised by my doctor to increase my dose of AD. They're sedating ADs so I'm doing this tonight.

Before my latest worries things had improved for me and a low dose of AD was enough to make me feel much better generally and my PMT improved too. I also take Vitamin B6. Magnesium is also supposed to be good. I know coffee isn't great for PMT, but I'm not very good at cutting out coffee. I like it too much.

If you're finding your PMT is getting worse and really affecting your life and relationship with your DH, it's worth seeing your doctor. You may be able to have your hormone levels checked. Your doctor may also be able to refer you for CBT to help manage your anxiety. I think there are also other supplements out there that you can take to help manage your moods.

HTH

orangeflutie Mon 20-Dec-10 19:57:16

P.S. I started a diary in the Summer and have found this is a good way of keeping track of my cycle and the effect it has on my mood.

neverenoughMEtime Mon 20-Dec-10 20:10:45

Thanks orangeflutie

Sorry to hear your having a rough time too! Hope your DH manages to get home very soon, you must be so worried. Good luck for your op too.

Ah, i WAS taking vitamin B complex for months but stopped, kept forgetting to take it in the end! Maybe that is why this has got worse. I did notice it helped my anxiety. I will start taking it again.

I will start a diary too i think. Ive been marking on the calender the 2 days when i ovulate because i notice these symptoms then too. Can really see the pattern there so will start a diary thanks.

Im having CBT 1-1 at the moment, ive had 12 sessions so far and have come through agoraphobia and am doing so well After i had 11mo DD2 i felt like this ALL the time, day and night my body just shook with anxiety and i was a wreck. Postnatal anxiety they said, due to hormones. This feels the same but wears off after a couple of days thankfully.

So, off to take my vitamin B and start that diary! Thanks for your help. I may have a look at the magnesium supplements when i go shopping too. Oh and evening primrose, keep meaning to have a look to see if that may help!

coldtits Mon 20-Dec-10 20:12:45

Are you on cerazette, by any chance?

neverenoughMEtime Mon 20-Dec-10 20:39:41

no coldtits. Is that a contraceptive pill? Im not taking anything.

minxthemanx Mon 20-Dec-10 20:46:41

Poor you, I sympathise, I'm a complete cow for several days before my period, tearful, massively irritable, shouting at Dh and DCs. It's called PMDD or something - pre menstrual disorder or something like that - and is SEVERE PMT. My Gp (female) is fab and very sympathetic, and fluoxetine is a proven help with this disorder, so I take a small dose every other day for a couple of weeks, then every day in the run up to my period. It's a horrible condition, and nobody can begin to understand unless they've got it. It's like you have a complete personality change. Prozac really takes the edge off.

minxthemanx Mon 20-Dec-10 20:48:07

pre menstrual dysphoric disorder.

nymphadora Mon 20-Dec-10 21:28:36

I went on the pill to stop this. Worked but not wonderfully just brought me Dow. To a normal level of PMT

neverenoughMEtime Tue 21-Dec-10 09:59:13

Thats interesting minx thanks..will look it up.

I have considered going on the pill to see if it will help. Not sure yet.

Thanks for replies!

Daisyjk Wed 31-Jan-18 15:58:49

It does sound like premenstrual dysphoric disorder (pmdd), as the woman said. I know this post is old but Bc pmdd can cause serious issues like suicidal ideations in a healthy woman I felt the need to post.
GL

JessieKat Wed 31-Jan-18 23:29:57

Yes I have pmdd. I call the week before im due hell week because it sends me off into another dimension of depression entirely. My symptoms are incapacitated depression, non stop crying for NO reason, but heavy sobbing distraught crying, youd swear my whole family had died. Its a fucker. I di be praying for my period to start. Evening Primose Oil &-antidepressants lessen it somewhat. I struggle with mh issues normally, but then this week of emotional battering takes me a few days to recover from. Hell week!

Daisyjk Thu 01-Feb-18 17:14:21

I completely understand! I have it too and my doctors always say it’s the worse they’ve seen! No anxiety then all of sudden 4 years ago I’d get panic attacks so bad is convulse (every three weeks right on schedule), and to think it took me a good 6 months to figure out what happens every 3 weeks hahahahaha I want you to know that I’m totally here if you need even to just get through the day! I’ve got the symptoms you’ve mentioned and more like crippling nausea that hits any second. Tbh mine extends from the week before ovulation it starts and then (as you know) worse and worse until period. It’s a shit show lol I see an acupuncturist and asked him to focus on the pituitary, frontal lobe, and hypothalamus. I can explain why I asked for those but it’s complex. Anyway this has helped relieve my “hulk” where I hate everyone and wish they would all die hahahahah and a few others so it could be worth a shot. We did this for a few months and now we’re moving to the whole brain, then brain stem. They’d need to diagnose you in their manner but usually they have no issues adding in additional treatments.

Best of luck and I’m definitely always here if you ever need anyone who understands!!!

Orangecake123 Fri 02-Feb-18 12:32:54

I start to get very low moods a week before and there's an increase in suicidal thoughts.I never realized the link before, but I track my period so I can manage it bit better, knowing it's just that. I cry and I'm more irritated because of the pain. And there's just this overwhelming sense of tiredness.

I haven't really tried anything other than the occasional spoonful of marmite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now