Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Citaolpram and alcohol

(5 Posts)
fiddlydee Tue 14-Dec-10 12:16:33

Does anyone have any experiences they can share about Citaloram and alcohol? I used to enjoy a glass of wine (really, just one glass) a few nights a week. I have cut this down to one very small glass on a friday and saturday night but I am still wondering if this is too much. I am in the middle of a blib and cannot work out if the alcohol is effecting me. I know the best thing would be just not to drink at all but the occassional glass helps me to relax and awful as it sounds, I really don't want to have to become completely teetotal.

EldritchCleavage Tue 14-Dec-10 13:01:11

The two did not mix for me (it cancelled out the ADs leaving me feeling awful until the next day, but I'm alcohol-sensitive anyway).

The advice I got given in hospital was not to drink regularly or in anything but small amounts. A few nights a week would be too much and no more than a small glass on the occasions we did drink.

If you are in a blip I really would cut alcohol out now and see if you feel a bit better. Best to do it for a week now and allow yourself something at Christmas.

HTH

KalokiMallow Wed 15-Dec-10 01:59:22

I'm ok on it, but it does vary person to person, and also depends how high a dose you are on. Also I second what Eldritch said, if you are in a blip, alcohol is a depressant so not the best idea

feelingcrappy Wed 15-Dec-10 08:58:34

Hi ladies, I've been on Cit. for a couple of months - 20mg and now 40mg for last week. I'm really missing drinking - I would always have 1 or 2 glasses of wine most nights. Managed this fine on the lower dosage but then had a blip and medication was doubled to 40mg. Haven't dared drink on this new prescription yet - still feeling anxious and don't want to fuel it, need to feel like i'm on an even keel before I hit the booze - actually don't fancy drinking unless I'm in a good mood. But I must admit it's become a bit of a thing for me - I'm sure the thought of not being able to drink almost contributes to my anxiety.

EldritchCleavage Wed 15-Dec-10 11:06:50

Stick with the non-drinking, feeling. ADs put quite an extra load on the kidneys, I'm told, so ADs plus alcohol do tax your body.
Sometimes it's breaking the social habit/home routine that's hard, as much as anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now