Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

i am really struggling and could do with some encouragement

(7 Posts)
hariboegg Thu 09-Dec-10 10:05:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

madmouse Thu 09-Dec-10 11:39:46

Sometimes when something awful happens we go into survival mode and we are 'fine', we cope, we get on with it. But then as normality hits and we settle back down it starts to sink in what has happened and that things will never be the same again.

Do you think that may have happened? Your family thinks you are fine - have you honestly told them that you are not fine? It is well possible that they are really unhelpful, but maybe you have become awfully good at staying strong and keeping the mask on.

I'm sorry that you feel discriminated for working part time - I've worked part time since having ds (he's nearly 3) and my experiences are positive. Sometimes colleagues I don't know very well will make a silly comment when I leave on my half day but I usually just say 'remember you get half the wages too' and that tends to shut them up.

I don't have a magic wand to cheer you up haribo, but maybe it is good to get some things of your chest and acknowledge to yourself that you are in a tough situation and you are entitled to feel bad x

hariboegg Thu 09-Dec-10 12:00:16

madmouse Thu 09-Dec-10 12:05:10

Hi Haribo

No I'm happily married but have not always had the support from dh that I needed as he was severely depressed while I had PTSD confused - the UK is not our country of origin and we have no family here but we do have very special friends.

It is frustrating to get a response like that from your Mum - does she mean she's been there herself or that you have 'complained enough'?

Sometimes parents are not helpful because they want you to be ok even if you're not.

Any friends that can support you?

Try not to be too scared of 'crashing' - I made a very big crash two years ago and it is the turning point for healing and moving on. My good friend keeps saying it has to come out, you need to let it out and I'm finally cottoning on to it being true...

hariboegg Thu 09-Dec-10 12:12:40

hariboegg Thu 09-Dec-10 12:14:17

madmouse Thu 09-Dec-10 16:05:10

To be fair I had a six month sabbatical as I was in the middle of severe PTSD and exhausted from being on high alert/having flashbacks and needed what little energy I had for therapy. But other than that I have been able to work and keep normality up a lot, including being the ministe's wife in church without people noticing how crap i was feeling.

It does sound like you are doing too much on your own. You may have more friends than you think who woul love to help you. Talk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now