Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Scarred for life?

(4 Posts)
poshsinglemum Tue 30-Nov-10 23:27:11

I have posted about my seriously abusive relationship about ten years ago.
The problem is that I keep obsessing about it. I always think ''if only I'd never met him. How could I stay with him?'' So in effect the abuse continues.

I don't want the past to ruin my life. I have had cbt but it hadsn't helped. I just feel so hurt and humiliated by what happened. (He controlled what I ate and brain washed me with all sorts of woo shit). I just feel so stuck and damaged.

madmouse Wed 01-Dec-10 07:45:28

Sorry you are still going through this.

Bit of a brief post as I'm off to work but I think you may need more than CBT. CBT is great for changing thought patterns and learning coping techniques but in abuse recovery its effectiveness is overrated.

I would recommend - if you can face it - some old fashioned talk therapy preferably with a therapist/counsellor with experience in abuse survivors.

It sounds like you have come a long way and really only need a nudge to be free and you so deserve it!

MissTired Wed 01-Dec-10 17:56:19

it might be worth contacting womens aid for our area, in our area they do a survivors group xx

lilyliz Fri 03-Dec-10 16:58:30

I agree with Misstired womens aid deals with lots of stuff not just refuges,you can find your local group in the phone book.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: