Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Antidepressants - happy oblivion in a blister pack?

(18 Posts)
ilovehens Mon 29-Nov-10 15:43:54

Just wondering if antidepressants might help me to accept the crap in my life and just help me to not give a damn about stuff.

Feeling very depressed and miserable right now, but can't figure out if it's because of my situation, or if I'm just focusing on my situation more because I'm feeling depressed confused

I've been taking shedloads of herbal products, vitamins and amino acids which have been helping loads for about three years and now, nothing helps.

Hate antidepressants with a vengeance, but can't carry on like this. Can barely string a sentence together without snapping and feeling angry and irritable.

Am on waiting list for cbt, but may take about 18 months before I get an appointment.

The kids are asking why I'm so snappy.

CMOTdibbler Mon 29-Nov-10 15:50:03

Well, I'm on ADs to help me cope with what is going on (currently no use of one hand, outlook unknown, chronic pain), and they are just helping me to cope better, less snappy and a bit more together.

So, not oblivion, not happy happy happy, just a bit more able to deal with things

Eleison Mon 29-Nov-10 15:53:34

ADs don't make you happy. They adjust a chemical imbalance, if one exists, that might be distorting your mood, and so contribute to conditions in which you might be able to feel positive enough to act and react in such a way that your mood lifts a little bit. They don't create oblivion either. The effects are small and prosaic. It sound like you think them more powerful than they are, and that that is why you hate them.

ilovehens Mon 29-Nov-10 18:35:21

I hate them because of the side effects, mainly the sexual ones. I've been on and off them for the last 20 years.

peggotty Mon 29-Nov-10 18:37:27

the right antidepressant does not make you 'happy happy happy', just enables you to cope better. Have you been on them before? Why do you hate them?

peggotty Mon 29-Nov-10 18:40:19

sorry have just seen that you've been on and off them for 20 years.

I agree that side effects can be crap but it does get to the point when you've got to choose whether to go on without their help or put up with the side effects.

Eleison Mon 29-Nov-10 18:54:36

Yes, the sexual side-effects are a drag -- but they don't occur with all ADs. Do try another kind if that is what is putting you off.

ilovehens Mon 29-Nov-10 18:57:14

Will see the gp tomorrow sad

This is a total defeat for me because I've managed to avoid them for quite a few years.

ilovehens Mon 29-Nov-10 18:58:12

I'm a Seroxat veteran, but they just seem to prescribe Citalopram now.

ilovehens Mon 29-Nov-10 18:59:36

Why should I end up on medication just to be able to cope with the shite that everyone else is doling out atm? angry

Are they on meds?

I don't think so.

orangeflutie Mon 29-Nov-10 20:07:45

I take ADs. I'm on a low dose right now but was on a much higher one. I'm on dosulepin, one of the older tricyclic ADs and haven't suffered any side effects.

For me atm they're a lifesaver. They've helped me sleep which was a big problem and although I'm not 'happy' I am less moody and irritable and can get up in the mornings. A lot of things happened to me at once and I had not realised that it was too much and I couldn't cope anymore.

I agree you shouldn't have to take them to cope with problems caused by other people. However at the end of the day, life is stressful and ADs do provide you with a cushion and you are then less annoyed by other people.

Maybe say to yourself 'I'll try them for a bit and see what happens.'

Good luck

Keziahhopes Mon 29-Nov-10 20:09:56

Hi - if you do decide to ask for Ads and want seroxat again, am sure you will get it. Equally if the symptoms of that not suit you there are others like citalopram, escitalopram (newer one) etc... I tried quite a few till I found one I tolerated better.

colditz Mon 29-Nov-10 20:11:39

They do not give you oblivion - if anything, they make you MORE aware of everything, by reducing the thick black fog of misery.

Certainly I am more capable, functional and 'normal' on antidepressents than when I'm depressed.

Teaandchristmascakeplease Mon 29-Nov-10 20:22:45

I'm on anti depressants, been on them now for 7 weeks. I was always irritable, tired (in yet I had trouble going to sleep at night and would wake in the middle of the night and have trouble going back to sleep again), I was always restless and fidgeting, I had trouble concentrating on anything for long, I felt so low, hopeless, tearful and guilty all the time, I had such a lack of motivation, everything was an effort, even washing up. I also had very little appetite and never felt hungry.

After a series of events I started to question whether I had a problem and despite hating the thought of ADs, I went to speak to my GP, who asked me to fill in a questionnaire and we had a chat. She prescribed me 20mg Fluoxetine (sp?) and within about 4 weeks I began to feel like a different person.

For me rather than having extreme lows or highs I'm now feeling stable and calm and it takes a lot more to upset me now, no matter how troublesome my two toddlers are. I'm sleeping better and feeling better all round. So I am a great advocate of ADs now. But when I first got home with them, I almost threw them in the bin.

Google and read up on depression and ADs, speak to your GP, then make a decision. But I am a better parent now than I was and a lot more likeable. I wake in the morning now at peace, rather than a bear with a sore head. That was the big difference for me.

ilovehens Tue 30-Nov-10 18:47:46

Thanks for all the replies.

Have been to see the gp this morning and she's prescribed 20mg of Citalopram each day, but I've halved the tablet and will start on 10mg to minimise side effects.

Am currently feeling calmer, but a bit zombified and have a headache, but will persevere in order to feel better because it's no good being depressed.

Teaandchristmascakeplease Tue 30-Nov-10 19:14:47

Wouldn't it be better to begin on the exact dose the GP gave you? Otherwise it won't be as effective?

I certainly didn't have any adverse side effects on beginning, although she did warn me about nausea.

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Tue 30-Nov-10 19:18:11

alot more people than you think are on medicatipn

BU|T the biggest thing I feel the need to say is

depression (i fucking hate that word) is an imbalance of seritonin in the brain. you cant help it, its not your fault but it does fuck you up

medication trys to sort it for you but does not turn it in to happy happy happy

they sort the imbalance and put you on an even keel to deal with whatever shit comes your way

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Tue 30-Nov-10 19:19:16

I agree , go with what the doctor has told you to do, two or thee weeks and you wont be having any side effects

try it properly or else you are just doing yourself a disservice (sp?)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: