Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Worried about going back to work...

(5 Posts)
MrsSatsuma Sun 28-Nov-10 20:03:25

Some of you may have seen my earlier post about having been signed off work for a week becuase I keep having panic attacks. I'm going back in a couple of days and dreading it... the next two weeks are horrendously busy at work (I'm a teacher) and I feel sick every time I think about it. I can't face people asking why I've been off (I'm not going to tell them why because of the stigma and I don't know what to say), and people asking if I'm feeling ok. My colleagues, lovely as they are, are already feeling awkward around me as I think they're worried I'll have an attack any moment. And of course I'm worried about feeling rubbish once I get to work.

Has anyone been in a similar position, or got any advice pleae?

madmouse Sun 28-Nov-10 21:17:25

the only advice I have is to try and take it a day at a time - you are only midway through the week you've been signed off for. Deal with today, not four days ahead. If you struggle do some mindfulness - make yourself aware of what you are doing right now - feel the plates in the warm water washing up, your feet on the cold lino, the soft cushion under your head, and breathe

and the first day back at work doesn't happen all at once - it starts with the journey, then the quiet before the pupils come in, then one lesson at a time - don't let it all overwhelm you

neverenoughMEtime Sun 28-Nov-10 21:53:14

Great advice madmouse
OP im in a similar position. The anticipation is often worse than the actual task.

I think you have to change the way you think about it. The advice i just got from my psychologist is to see it as a challenge. Go there and see what happens. If you do feel panicky, see it through and notice that you are ok, it is just a feeling. When you get through each task, be proud of how far you have come, how well you have done.

Other than that, i have no other advice but wish you luck

hariboegg Sun 28-Nov-10 22:04:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsSatsuma Tue 30-Nov-10 13:20:58

Thanks for the advice I'm getting more and more stressed now though... got loads of work to do today before I go back, will be non-stop till 10pm tomorrow, then non-stop till 7.30 on Thur, and till 10pm again on Friday. Then next week till about 10.30 every night. I seriously don't know how I'm going to cope!!! I need to get out of the house but don't have time to spend over an hour going into town and aimless walks around make me jumpy if I'm on my own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now