Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Borderline Personality Disorder

(8 Posts)
someoneelsetoday Thu 25-Nov-10 10:24:26

does anyone out there have any advice on how to self-help with BPD? I have been pretty much abandoned by the NHS - which really doens't help the symptoms. I have been back to my GP to get another referral as my CPN left a few months ago and I'm not coping well without the back up.
I'm taking vast quantities of omega oils - which do help with the more depressive aspects. But my brilliant intentions always seem to slump after a few days.
The internet isn't much use as everything points to it being such as serious mental illness that it needs lots of outside assistance

someoneelsetoday Thu 25-Nov-10 10:25:02

excuse the spellings, heating is off and my fingers are cold!!

NurseSunshine Thu 25-Nov-10 21:06:04

Hi, have you got a referral to the CMHT? Hav you had any therapy, even if just CBT? Have you had any counselling? Do you think that might help? What symptoms exactly are you struggling with?

someoneelsetoday Thu 25-Nov-10 21:42:19

What is a CMHT? I had a few sessions with the CPN, but about 4 sessions after she diagnosed and we started working on it she went on a course and I haven't had anything since August. It had been a rocky road up till that point because the previous Mental Health team diagnosed Bipolar and I ended up in hospital with lithium poisoning.

I'm mostly having issues stabilising my moods at the moment, the thought processes are very erratic too - I am getting a lot of suicidal thoughts. I am not a suicide risk though as I am at least aware that this is the illness. I have plateaued at a point which isn't horrendous, but could very easily get to that point if I don't learn more coping strategies. Being dropped by the CPN hasn't helped with the whole rejection paranoia either.

My GP has said that he will write a letter to the Mental Health team, but it took months before. I don't know if I go back and jump about a bit more - I told him that I was having suicidal thoughts and he seemed pretty nonplussed by it.

NurseSunshine Thu 25-Nov-10 21:56:48

Sorry, Community Mental Health Team, the team your CPN would've been part of. Did your CPN not refer you to one of her colleagues? If not why not? Have you still got contact details for her or her office? If so I would try to contact her or her office and ask why you've just been left hanging when you clearly are not ready to be without support.

Have you seen and been diagnosed by an actual psychiatrist? As a nurse cannot diagnose.

If you feel you need urgent help then go to your GP and ask for a referral to the crisis team if you feel suicidal or have thoughts of suicide. Tell them it is very urgent! If s/he won't listen then go to another GP at the surgery and go again and again until they do something.
Unfortunately with MH problems you may find that GPs are a bit crap and you have to really push and try lots of different ones until you find the one who will listen and actually knows what they're on about. GPs tend not to know a lot abut MH.
I know from bitter experience that this is the last thing you feel like doing when you're all over the place and depressde etc. When GPs are just dismissing your struggles as unimportant but you do need to push for help.

Have you considered medication?

NurseSunshine Thu 25-Nov-10 21:57:31

BTW lithium poisoning? That's fucking awful, so sorry

someoneelsetoday Thu 25-Nov-10 22:20:28

I will try the CMHT tomorrow.
Basically I had a breakdown in feb last year and ended up being admitted into hospital, but they released me very quickly and put me on antidepressants. It was Citalapram, I think, but after a few months of CBT my mood swings became even more erratic and I hit chrisis point again earlier this year. It was then that one of the consultant's minions told me that I was bipolar. After a few months of coaxing on their part I very reluctantly started taking lithium. Within a few days I was in A&E. I was then passed on to someone else on that team who alongside the CPN diagnosed BPT. We had a few sessions then I missed an appointment because I had a car accident and a few weeks later received a letter basically telling me that I was no longer going to be receiving help through the team. I left if for a while, thinking that I might be ok, but it's all going downhill again.
The GP has been brilliant in the past - my mother has spoken to him lots on my behalf when I have been feeling too crappy to do so myself - so I don't know if it's just my paranoia about rejection that is interpreting his attitude as lax

weegiemum Thu 25-Nov-10 22:33:27

Havw messaged you. Hope it helps!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: