Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Is this PND or just life with 3 kids??

(39 Posts)
mosschops30 Wed 03-Nov-10 13:37:22

Now bearing in mind I dont really believe in depression, have never suffered from it, this has been a hard post to do and Ive thought about it for days.

I had a traumatic 3rd birth, was diagnosed with PTSD and have received treatment for it, although I dont feel that a lot of the issues have been resolved.

At the moment Im tired all the time, massively irritable, I feel like the word 'mum' is repated 1 million times a day wink. I just wish I could have a break, and me and dh are away this weekend and Im so looking forward to it.

I just dont think Ive felt this 'annoyed' with everything before, Im not sure if this is what its like having 3 kids, a job, clubs to take to and pick up, meals to cook, house to clean, etc etc etc or something else.

Would be glad of any advice, thanks smile

BooBooImpaledOnBrokenGlass Wed 03-Nov-10 13:38:12

Moss why do you not believe in depression?

memoo Wed 03-Nov-10 13:40:46

Moss, saying you don't believe in depression in Meantal health is a bit insensitive.

There are people here who have had it so bad they have ended up in hospital.

How long have you felt like this?

mosschops30 Wed 03-Nov-10 13:40:57

I dont really want this to a discussion about my feelings on depression. I know lots of people 'have' it, but I dont!

Just wondering if this is something from my PTSD or what people would consider as being PND

memoo Wed 03-Nov-10 13:41:03

*mental!

notnowbernard Wed 03-Nov-10 13:41:57

PND is a form of depression though confused

BooBooImpaledOnBrokenGlass Wed 03-Nov-10 13:42:35

I can't believe I'm doing this in mental health of all places but biscuit
Go and join Tom Cruise and take some vitamins. I'm sure then you'll feel all better

mosschops30 Wed 03-Nov-10 13:42:48

oh fgs I have as much right to my opinion as anyone else, if people are offended because I dont think everyone has depression then they really need to lighten up.

I have asked this to be deleted, I asked a genuine question but can see the mood youre all in today. You know Im a genuine poster, so why the round up.

notnowbernard Wed 03-Nov-10 13:44:59

Of course not everyone has depression

But that's not to say it doesn't exist

Agree it's insensitive to discuss it as you have

I'm sorry you feel like shit though

memoo Wed 03-Nov-10 13:45:10

you didn't say that not everyone has depression, you said you don't believe in depression.

FWIW Moss you sound like somebody who just needs a break rather than being depressed.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Wed 03-Nov-10 13:46:58

Whether you believe in it or not, you can still suffer with it. It is a chemical problem with the brain triggered by an event, sometimes not. It doesn't matter whether you are rich or poor, young or old, healthy or not you can still suffer from it.

You could 'just' be exhausted, but you have mentioned PTSD so that is something that can leave you susceptible to depression. Can you get anyone to help you a bit more and see if some rest and an extra pair of hands relives some of what you are feeling. I would go and see my GP though. You sound as though you need to resolve what has happened to you.

mrsruffallo Wed 03-Nov-10 13:49:35

A lot of people don't believe in it. Depressed is bounded about a lot isn't it?
I prefer downcast, tired or a bot fed up, for example
Anyway, muggle, whatever it is sounds like you need a break

BooBooImpaledOnBrokenGlass Wed 03-Nov-10 13:51:10

Being depressed is not at all even in the same league as being a 'bit fed up'
No wonder so many people are ashamed to get help, I cannot believe some of the attitudes coming out here hmm

notnowbernard Wed 03-Nov-10 13:51:29

It's a serious illness

People are hospitalized for it

There are drugs that treat it

People kill themselves because of it sad

People can become psychotic with it

mosschops30 Wed 03-Nov-10 13:52:14

sorry I didnt make myself very clear. I believe in clinical depression, in a chemical imbalance in the brain.

memoo Wed 03-Nov-10 13:53:27

I guess I was a bit fed up when I couldn't remember having my baby, or when I thought she had a bad spirit inside her, or maybe when they finally carted me off the hospital!

mrsruffallo Wed 03-Nov-10 13:55:44

I didn't mean it was the same, I meant the common or garden word for how muggle was feeling, not the manic/psychotic diagnosis of deopression

mosschops30 Wed 03-Nov-10 13:57:05

memoo is that not PPP rather than depression

memoo Wed 03-Nov-10 13:58:55

No, it was post natal depression, I had occasional periods of psychosis with it.

mrsruffallo Wed 03-Nov-10 14:00:35

What was your treatment memoo?
(DON'T ANSWER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO)
i HAD TERRIBLE ANXIETY AFTER dc2's birth, he is 4 now and I have only felt right for around a year

memoo Wed 03-Nov-10 14:03:02

I had to stay in psychiatric hospital for a few weeks and was put on anti-psychotics and AD's. Still on the AD's but much better now smile

mosschops30 Wed 03-Nov-10 14:03:21

my point is memoo that PND is different to those people who bandy the word 'depression' round like its the common cold.

I genuinely think that 50% of people with depression dont actually have it.
Im not saying it doesnt exist, just that most people dont have depression, theyre just a bit pissed off, or down or whatever. Clearly that does not apply to your experience

SagacityNell Wed 03-Nov-10 14:03:35

mosschops, if you are saying that you don't believe everyone who says they are depressed has actual depression then i understand where you are coming from.

However, if you are not, i don't understand why you think you may have Post Natal depression.

From your it sounds like you jut need a break.

Maybe those of us with a fake illness should all just pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and get on with it?

mrsruffallo Wed 03-Nov-10 14:04:14

I am glad everything worked out and that you are feeling healthier.
(sorry for caps btw)

memoo Wed 03-Nov-10 14:05:51

I often have caps in my posts MrsR, usually when DD is sat on my knee while I'm typing grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: