Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Vitamin B Complex

(9 Posts)
pinkpiggy Tue 02-Nov-10 19:36:24

I have been suffering from mild/moderate depression for a while now with classic symptoms such as lack of interest in things, feeling exhausted, overwhelmed, angry etc. My mum, sister and aunt all have a long term history with depression and are on ADs - I have been trying to avoid this route but am really struggling lately. The last week I have been taking vitamin B complex with B12 and I have seen an improvement in how I am coping. My question is what is a 'safe' dosage and can you take it long term? Also, if I do go down the route of ADs then which ones should I avoid/what should I know?

Thanks

topsi Wed 03-Nov-10 08:17:13

I have been on a high strength vit B complex for over a year, I don't think that they build up in your body so should be safe.
If you wanted to go down the more natural route with some supplements then I could give you a few pointers.
I have been on and off traditional AD for years and feel that in my case the supplements have done a better job of keeping me stable than traditional meds. Every one is different though.

madmouse Wed 03-Nov-10 08:19:40

If you are not on the pill or pregnant you can also try St Johnswort. It is a very mild natural anti-depressant (not anti-anxiety)

I've been taken it for a few months now. I started taking it when after two years with Post Traumatic stress my adrenalin levels dropped and I shot down the other side getting really down. They help me really well and I have noticed no side effects.

vintageteacups Wed 03-Nov-10 08:23:09

Hi - I found an advery for this last night and will defo be buying some. I need the iron but the B12 will hopefully do some good for me too. It's in liquid form so doesn't make you constipated and for your depression, having your iron boosted must surely be a good thing; everything seems easier to cope with if you have energy.smile

Feroglobin

vintageteacups Wed 03-Nov-10 08:23:26

advert not advery!

schmee Tue 16-Nov-10 07:04:08

I take pyroxidine for PMS which is a prescribed clinical dose of B12. The gynae explained to me that it is effectively the train which transports serotonin in your body. It might be worth enquiring from your GP if this might be an option for you.

Keziahhopes Tue 16-Nov-10 23:38:44

Hi,
I think B vitamins are water soluble, as I have to take a higher dose of folic acid for pregnancy and that is ok.

Re: Ad's - the Gp's usually offer first line SSRI's, the newer Ad's with less side effects, the main ones being citalopram and prozac used first. If you look up the NICE guidelines for Depression this is the recommendation, with more info etc...

Eurostar Fri 19-Nov-10 22:18:25

You can get a blood test for vitamin B12 levels. I wouldn't worry at the moment as the improvement probably shows you were low, but at some point in the future you could ask for a blood test. If you are supplementing B12 you should also take folic acid too as they work with each other.

PhishFoodAddiction Mon 22-Nov-10 22:00:52

You can take an everyday multivitamin and an extra vitamin B complex- I'm trying this at the moment instead of my anti-d's and hoping it works.

B vitamins are water soluble so you can't overdose on them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now