Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice.

Absolute knackeredness or PND? How can you tell the difference?

(5 Posts)
PomPotty Wed 27-Oct-10 13:52:36

I have a 13.5m old DS who is rubbish at sleeping unless bf and co-sleeping - so basically I haven't had a good night's sleep in well over a year.

How do I know if I am just v v tired or if this fuzzy-headed-am-going-mad-and-can't cope feeling and the constant irritation through to screaming arguments with DH is just me being crap at dealing with my bone-achey-tiredness or actual PND.

I have recently moved to a new area and my HV just says things like... and you're coping well... all is fine... with only space for a "yes" answer.

My DH occasionally throws the PND diagnosis at me in the heat of an argument but I struggle to believe there could be a "cause" for how I feel rather than it's just that I am a crap mum/wife/person.

Sorry for self-indulgent pity thread, thanks for reading.

Lotster Wed 27-Oct-10 20:43:18

Sorry to hear you're feeling low.

I've been treated for mild depression and then PTSD/PND after my first baby. My GP used to say the difference was, that if there's a reason for feeling tired and low then it's appropriate feelings, but if everything's sailing along perfectly and you still can't find the joy in anything, then she would start investigating depression etc.

Firstly, your baby isn't sleeping well so neither are you.

Secondly, you are trying to make it in a new area. I moved to a new area 3 months ago and still have some days when I feel a bit despairing, lonely and sad. It's tiring putting your best foot forward all the time, trying to make good first impressions, when in your old area you could just have off days with people you know better, I found.

So give yourself a break and acknowledge your feelings, feel a bit sorry for yourself, and then see if you can dust yourself down a bit and find new ways to approach the sleeping challenge, or get a break (as with the "a change is as good as a rest" theory). Ask your GP for some support and let them ask you the appropriate questions ref: PND and see what they say.

Best of luck and sure others will be along soon with even better advice!

PomPotty Wed 27-Oct-10 21:29:57

Thanks for your reply Lobster, that makes sense about the reason - I hadn't thought of it like that. Lots more food for thought smile

I hope you settle in well to your new area, it is difficult finding your feet.

Lotster Thu 28-Oct-10 14:06:22

Thanks, you too. Best of luck with it all.

tb Fri 10-Dec-10 16:22:12

Have you had your thyroid checked? It can cause post-flu type tiredness and then some, together with muscle aches, sinus problems and a host of other symptoms.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: