Talk

Advanced search

Blood Sugar Diet and Fast800 thread 14

(1000 Posts)
thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 13-Mar-19 19:48:45

Here’s the new thread for the BSD followers, plus those following the Fast800 plan. Everyone is welcome to join us. Here’s a quick recap!

The BSD/fast 800 is a low carb, Mediterranean style way of eating, with the primary aim of stabilising your insulin response when you eat. You achieve this by: eating fewer carbs, cutting out sugar and sweet tasting foods including most fruit, and by following a low calorie plan that reduces your visceral fat meaning that everything functions more effectively. Less insulin means less fat storage (in a nutshell, although more info can be found on this online). The blood sugar diet was designed to reduce T2 diabetes symptoms (or even reverse it entirely) but can also be used for weightloss.

Eat:
Meats and fish
Oils
Eggs
Full fat dairy products
Nuts, seeds
Pulses/ beans
Veg that grows above ground
Limit fruit: apples, pears, berries- in moderation, with meals, with fats

Occasional alcoholic drinks allowed (spirits, red wine are preferable to beer, lager, etc) although alcohol is calorie heavy and can influence your appetite
Tea and coffee, herbal tea etc.
And water- drink lots of water!

Avoid
sugar, sweets, and ‘naturally occurring sugars’ such as fructose, maltose, honey, agave, puréed dates etc....

Potatoes of any variety
Pasta
Rice
Breakfast cereals (occasional steel cut oats are ok)
Breads/ flour based products

Exercise:
Michael Moseley recommends HIIT workouts to increase calorie burn and help to tone up, and recommends walking more (increasing your steps weekly until you hit around 10000 a day)

Mindfulness
MM also suggests a programme of mindfulness, meditation, practised for a few minutes each day.

How to follow the plan:
Fast800: follow the plan above, sticking to 800 calories every day for 2 weeks. Ideal to give your weightloss a real kick start, plus improve your insulin function and reduce your sugar cravings.
8 weeks BSD- 8 weeks, follow the guidelines above- 800 calories a day. You don’t need to count carbs grams because the diet is naturally self limiting.
BSD 5:2- for a more leisurely weightloss journey, or as maintenance, or once you’ve done an 8 week stint or 2 weeks of Fast800, you can play around with a combination of increased calorie count, ‘free eating’ and fasting days (800 cals) until you achieve your goals. Many of our long standing members now follow this approach.

You can stop 800 calorie days at any time once you achieve your goal. It’s advised to limit yourself to 12 weeks maximum of 800 calorie days, but you should get excellent results in 8 weeks. Depending on your weightloss goals, you can do further ‘rounds’ of either the 8 week BSD or the Fast800. We recommend you take your measurements before you begin, not just your weight. A target pair of jeans in a smaller size or even a photography or two can be very motivating!

Some useful links:

previous thread

meal planning thread

TDEE calculator to calculate your daily calorie requirement

information about the ‘whoosh’ phenomenon

PartTimePancreas Thu 14-Mar-19 09:31:27

Hi, I'm starting today with about 1.5 stone to lose. Currently 11st 2 and 5ft 6. Have put on weight since September due to a variety of reasons - happiest and healthiest when I'm below 10st.
Do most of you update with losses once a week?

anascrecca Thu 14-Mar-19 10:33:14

Place marking, I need this diet,

MissBartlettsconscience Thu 14-Mar-19 10:39:10

Thanks for the thread. I started Fast 800 last Monday (so 10 days in now). I've lost half a stone in that time, although I've plateaued for the last few days (period due soon). It has been fine! I've been cooking and having boiled egg for breakfast with asparagus, a salad and chicken or tuna for lunch and a dinner with the rest of the family without carbs. I'm quite peckish today but have just had a breakfast meeting where I had to watch everyone else eat pastries!

I'm planning to move on to 5:2 from Monday next week and stick with that for a few weeks and then go back to Fast 800 after Easter.

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:53:03

Welcome all.

Parttime I tend to post quite regularly on here, but feel free to post whenever/whatever you like!

Bangingdoors Thu 14-Mar-19 20:29:03

Hi there, thanks for the new thread. I hope it's ok to join in?
I did the BSD last year for a few weeks before switching to low carb and had good results.
I've still a lot more to lose, actually I gained some of what I'd previously lost so I restarted fast800 on Wednesday and plan on doing it until Easter.
Looking forward to chatting and supporting each other on heresmile

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 14-Mar-19 20:47:59

Welcome banging, how are you finding it so far?

Aberforthsgoat Thu 14-Mar-19 21:05:13

Thanks @thenewaveragebear1983 here for the placemark I am getting right back on it and need to know where to find you all!

greenpop21 Thu 14-Mar-19 21:25:33

Checking in.

notapizzaeater Thu 14-Mar-19 22:25:50

Checking in too, started in Jan, had February off and restarted last week, lost 23.5 lbs up to now.

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 15-Mar-19 07:18:23

I'm another pound down this morning, making it 10.0.4 -so close to those 9's! A total loss of (I think) 4 pounds this week, maybe 5, which I'm pleased with especially as I'm so close to my target. It just proves really that I've been a bit lot sloppy recently because by really focussing on the plan this week I've seen results.

Supposed to be a fast day today, but I'm out tonight so will have to see how it goes- and also out tomorrow evening for a family do. I'll spend the day assuming I'll stick to 800 calories and see what happens later when I'm actually out. Hopefully being half a pound from new numbers on the scales will motivate me to stay on track today!

Bangingdoors Fri 15-Mar-19 15:14:42

Thanks bear, I'm finding it ok, I'm really watching the carbs so having carb flu right now which isn't pleasant but I'm looking forward to when it goes and the hunger and carvings go too. I find I've more success if I watch my carb intake but boy the first few days are hard. I think this must be at least my 10th attempt this year to get back into this but I have what I call THE FEAR cause we're off to Spain for Easter so I need something that works fast.

Well done on the weight loss this week and up until now, I read the previous thread and you've done really well.

Bangingdoors Fri 15-Mar-19 15:15:42

Well done you too notapizza, 23 is a great loss, have you much more to go?

Seawig Fri 15-Mar-19 19:28:39

Still going on the fast 800 here. I've now lost almost a stone in less than 3 weeks. My belt is easily in a notch, my rings are looser, and my jeans feel baggy round my thighs.

And I avoided offered chocolate eclairs last night without any real effort. And got Fast food for a carload as we raced between events, but didn't have any. Then got home and made a salad with manchego cheese and ham. And am full!

Maccalenny Sat 16-Mar-19 07:09:30

seawig that is brilliant! Well done on the loss and avoiding temptation.

bear what a great week. Hope the meal out was good and the family event goes ok.

bangingdoors carb flu is nasty but doesn’t last long - by the end of the weekend you will be back on track and feeling good!

Maccalenny Sat 16-Mar-19 07:29:37

My three-weeks-in summary.
My weight loss has slowed/plateaued this week, giving me an overall loss of 15lb in 3 weeks which I am really happy with, although only one of them was this week! I’ve lost two inches from my waist which I’m also really pleased with. I have 4 stone still to lose.
I’m still eating early in the morning, and lunch, then on some days an early tea, although on others I’m not hungry or busy so am not eating from about 1.30pm till 7.00am the next day. I only really feel hungry before breakfast, then mid-morning. No blood-sugar lows, no shakes or faintness. I feel like I’m eating enough.
I have more energy. I’ve never been keen on exercise, but am doing a bit every day and enjoyed a walk last weekend. One planned for tomorrow too. I can feel my body changing - stomach definitely flatter, the lumps and bumps a bit less bumpy!
I’m planning how to move on with the diet, as I don’t want to stay on 800 for too long. I think I will do another full week on 800, then stop counting and measuring at weekends, still following Mediterranean guidelines. I will stick to 800 through the week. When I did 5:2 before, I used to get really anxious before a fast day, even though I did not find it hard to do. So keeping it consistent through the week will hopefully work for me.
So overall I am really happy with my results and how easy it is to stick to. I’ve found some really gorgeous soup recipes and am eating more healthily than I ever have, making sure everything I eat provides nutrients.
Sorry about the huge post - I’ve not posted much this week so had lots to say!
Have a good weekend everyone

MairzyDoats Sat 16-Mar-19 08:00:07

Hi, can I join you all? I am finding reading your posts really helps at weak moments! I'm on day 6. Not much loss yesterday or today, although have lost 5lbs overall in 6 days so I suppose that's not bad compared to a regular diet! I'm hovering around 10.1st and just want to see a dip below 10! My partner is doing it with me which is great in terms of meal prep etc but oh my goodness he is moaning about being hungry! I want him to lose weight around his middle, he's a big tall guy with slim legs but quite a big tummy, which I know is dangerous for his health. Fingers crossed I can persuade him to stay on track for the whole two weeks. What are the best filling/most satisfying meals you have made?

S021 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:22:11

I’m jumping on this thread as want to shift some weight before the summer.
Not ready to start just yet though 😂
Reading and absorbing ....

S021 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:23:34

I have downloaded the Fast800 book 👍🏼

greenpop21 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:28:24

Some great losses on here. I'm still plateauing after big loss in week one. I'm reading French Children Don't Throw Food at the moment. Really interesting that in France they don't overeat in pregnancy ; our culture has a lot to answer for!

PhoenixMama Sat 16-Mar-19 12:30:42

Can I join you too? Just started reading the book but planning on starting properly on Monday. I'm worried i might struggle as I'm on meds for ptsd, depression & anxiety. Anyone else have experience losing on meds?

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 16-Mar-19 13:25:23

Welcome to all the new starters!

Meal out was nice, but not BSD friendly- I had a chicken dansahk and shared a rice and naan with my friend, plus 2 glasses of wine and 2 g&t. Back on track today, I ran 12km this morning then have just had a lovely salad lunch with avocado, halloumi and ham. I think it's unrealistic I will calorie count today, but hopefully good choices will see me through!

SevenSeasofRye Sat 16-Mar-19 14:09:32

I'm totally on board with this in a week. I can't start till then. Reading the book has filled me with horror . I realise why I can't lose weight and why I have so many health issues.
I need to lose 4 stones.

Flurgle Sat 16-Mar-19 14:25:08

Jumping in as recent attempts have failed miserably and I am addicted to carbs and sugar.
72.7 kg this morning. I need to be at least 10kg less. Nearly all my fat is round my middle too which is baaaaad.
Had eggs, half avocado and asparagus for lunch. Currently starving so just eaten some walnuts. Veg curry later and I already can’t wait grin

MairzyDoats Sat 16-Mar-19 17:17:14

That's the funny thing, I've discovered all meals taste bloody amazing when you get them now :D

SevenSeasofRye Sat 16-Mar-19 17:17:41

I would really like to know what everyone is eating. I love breakfast, so forsaking cereal is a big issue. The book mentions that porridge is okay, but it is carbs, so I am confused by that. Full fat Greek you and fruit is recommended by someone else. I am allergic to yoghurt unless it is proper Greek yoghurt. I am also not keen on eggs. I don't mind poached eggs occasionally, but generally do not like eggs.
I don't like eating a lot of meat, and don't eat ham.
I lost a lot of weight a few years ago cutting right down on carbs, and felt so much better. I didn't cut them out entirely. Hunger is going to be the issue for me if I do 800 cals, I can't imagine that.
I need things that are easy to prepare - don't like seafood or prawns, but like fish.
Also is it okay to have milk in tea and coffee?
I can't drink red wine, it gives me headaches, prefer whisky to wine really!

SevenSeasofRye Sat 16-Mar-19 17:22:24

Ah! Just found the recipe thread. Brilliant.

Flurgle Sat 16-Mar-19 17:24:33

I won’t be at 800, I have to go to work and be nice to people!
I reckon on around 1000. I’m having milk in tea and coffee. I don’t eat meat but I do like eggs.
Breakfast will be hard- I cannot stomach claggy food in the morning so yogurt will be hard and I can’t do savoury really. Hmm.

Maccalenny Sat 16-Mar-19 18:05:48

I’ve found 800 so much easier than I thought possible. I eat three meals so I’m not really feeling hungry. But I’m lucky that I don’t mind eating meals at odd times eg salad or soup for breakfast, and I love eggs, which makes life a lot easier. I have yoghurt, raspberries and seeds some mornings, which is nice but I find I need lunch earlier than usual on those days. Soups are really filling and you can cram them full of veg so they don’t use up too many calories and carbs, then a bit of protein or fat to keep you going for longer.
A lot of people just skip breakfast - doesn’t suit me, I need to eat 2-3 hours after waking. But might be worth a try if you can’t think of anything to substitute for cereal.
I’ve always drunk tea and coffe with milk, but have swapped to herbal tea and black coffee and am enjoying them!

MairzyDoats Sat 16-Mar-19 18:18:51

I'm having tea with milk first thing as I just need it. Then herbal for the rest of the day. I don't really enjoy the herbal teas as much as a proper cup but it does help with the mid afternoon hunger pangs.

I skip breakfast and am properly ravenous by lunchtime, lunch this week has been salad leaves with some protein, olives, toms, avocado etc and then a sort of normal dinner without carbs. Portions do seem very small though!

Just had an early dinner as we have to go out and had cauli mash, loads of cabbage (with soy sauce as I love it) and chicken sausages which were lovely! OH said its the first dinner we've had all week that felt like a proper meal. grin

Maccalenny Sat 16-Mar-19 18:33:35

Cabbage and soy sauce sounds good! What brand were the chicken sausages?

agteacht Sun 17-Mar-19 00:11:20

Been reading your previous thread and you are all doing so well! Have been looking for something that could work for me for ages, maybe this is the one. Am so so fed up of none of my clothes fitting comfortably.

Have messed up hormones that I'm trying to fix through doctor as ttc. Have PCOS and always struggled with weight. Fingers crossed this could help. Thanks got the inspiration!

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 17-Mar-19 08:50:30

Hi, welcome everyone!

Seven you can have porridge but I wouldn't have it every day. If you make overnight oats with yogurt or milk and eat it cold it has less impact on your blood sugars than cooked oats. There's no reason why you can't eat yogurt and fruit, but it depends on you- I find if I eat too much lactose in the morning it gives me carb cravings. You can have milk in tea/coffee just count the calories.

I had a rather disastrous evening last night, too much red wine and very much food and pudding, So feel quite unhealthy today. I'm not going to weigh myself, but just get back on track and plan my meals for the week ahead. Keep on keeping on and all that!

MairzyDoats Sun 17-Mar-19 10:00:44

@Maccalenny they were Heck sausages and you can get them in most supermarkets (not sure about sainsburys) and they're bloody lovely.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 17-Mar-19 10:59:13

The heck chicken sausages are delicious, Tesco also do their own version which are also nice, but a lot thicker than the heck ones.

Maccalenny Sun 17-Mar-19 14:44:49

I’ve tried the other types of Heck but not the chicken...adding them to the shopping for next week right now. Thank you!

Maccalenny Sun 17-Mar-19 14:53:50

I didn’t sleep much last night due to my 17 year old having several friends over....I’m amazed to note the impact on my appetite and cravings. I’d had breakfast and lunch by 11.30 and am trying to save my spare 200 cals for another couple of hours, but I could eat the contents of every cupboard right now. Not stomach-rumbling sort of hunger, just a desire to eat....and eat...and eat!

onanothertrain Sun 17-Mar-19 17:20:49

I've not had a very BSD friendly weekend, pizza on Friday --under the influence of red wine--and a piece of bread and chocolate yesterday and didn't really enjoy either. I think I'm in danger of using exercise as an excuse to fall off the wagon but need to remember it might combat the calories but not the carbs.
Had a good day today though and hopefully will continue that next week

Maccalenny Sun 17-Mar-19 17:57:08

onanothertrain hope next week is a bit more straightforward for you.
I may have a glass of wine this weekend - probably save it till I have just finished eating, rather than when I’m hungry, to avoid temptation a bit. I’m hoping that works! If not I will have to keep off it for a while longer.

Flurgle Sun 17-Mar-19 18:01:32

I have a stubborn headache. Dunno if it’s the lack of carbs or sugar. Powering through (eating a sneaky apple).

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 17-Mar-19 18:11:41

Flurgle if you think it's detox related, try some salt, it can help with that fuzzy headache feeling.

Hah, hangovers and lack of sleep and crap food do not mix well for me. Felt rubbish all day, lay on the sofa and slept for 2 hours and generally have picked and grazed on fridge bits all day!

Although I have planned my menu, fast days and running days, plus written my shopping list, so at least that's one positive. Fast day tomorrow so I'm going to do a quick run in the morning and a hiit workout in the afternoon, plus stick to 800 calories (lamb steak and veg)

thisyeargoodyear Sun 17-Mar-19 20:49:19

This weekend was very bad - takeaways, lots of wine, gin and cocktails and currently eating milk chocolate buttons in bed, but I enjoyed it and I am ready to get back on it tomorrow.

On my night out I work a top and trousers that haven't fitted for years. It feels amazing getting back into my old clothes and have them fit comfortably. My holiday shorts still don't fit but they are my next goal. 25 lbs down in 9 weeks. 3 more weeks of 800-1000 calorie days then I am going to change my approach.

I am TTC and this diet is great for weight loss but I am finishing it affects my cycle and hormones quite a lot so I need to start upping my calories again soon.

Home77 Mon 18-Mar-19 10:25:42

Hi, I'm going to join you...going to try two 400 cal meals, lunch and early dinner. I have tried this in the past and it did work. Going to try doing some exercise in the mornings as it seemed to help with hunger pangs, and drink water.

I had porridge in the past but just did a small amount of oats and served the porridge with some greek yoghurt and fruit / seeds. (so not too many carbs)

PhoenixMama Mon 18-Mar-19 10:30:40

First day! Weighed & measured myself yesterday 😳 at least there's a lot of room for improvement! I know I'll call apart unless I menu plan so done that & groceries arriving later. Bit of a shock at how expensive all the healthy food was in comparison though!

onanothertrain Mon 18-Mar-19 11:02:17

I found that as well to begin with phoenix obviously the carby stuff is cheaper!

PhoenixMama Mon 18-Mar-19 11:43:22

Help! I've got the blood sugar diet cookbook, planned my week on the calories it says in the recipes but when I enter them in MFP it comes out as almost double the calories per serving? Has anyone else had this?

StubbleTurnips Mon 18-Mar-19 12:47:04

<lurking with intent>

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 18-Mar-19 12:51:56

Phoenix yes unfortunately it's quite a common occurrence in the original books, the calorie counts are very hit and miss. Check the portion numbers though (eg. Some recipes are for 1, some are for 4) but I'd advise checking all on mfp anyway.

Good start for me today, I'd gained a few pounds this morning after my weekend off plan- but a quick 5km and a few coffees in I feel good now. Been to the supermarket and ready for the week.

PhoenixMama Mon 18-Mar-19 13:51:46

Thanks TheNewAverageBear I've managed to figure 2 of them out - 1 must be a typo & is 410 cals instead of 210 hmm and the other should be 2 servings not 1! Quite annoying!

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 18-Mar-19 14:33:41

Phoenix to be honest I find the calorie trackers hit and miss anyway, several different calorie counts for the same foods sometimes, so I usually enter a new item for the things I use regularly and get the values off the packets, or use supermarket grocery online values for fresh veg etc. Pain in the bum at first, but to be honest I eat the same things generally week after week even if it's different recipes so saves time in the long run.

Seawig Mon 18-Mar-19 17:06:50

Still keeping going. Though harder today for some reason, stress I think.

Sticking to the key foods and ignoring a box of chocolates someone gave us.

Have lost nearly a stone and while I've not lost any in the past few days I hit a plateau before and stuck to it and then had more loss.

Really good to hear how you are all doing and especially that people are having off days and still feeling the benefit of the whole approach.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 18-Mar-19 19:04:11

Closing the kitchen on 795 cals, 38g carbs, 14k steps (5km run)- so a pretty successful fast day for me.

Tomorrow- I plan to do my long run in the morning, so I will prepare some overnight oats to have as breakfast beforehand, then a salad lunch, and pulled pork wraps for dinner (although I will just have mine with salad).

I feel like I'm brewing a cold again so I am going to have a hot bath and an early bedtime as I'm sure otherwise I'll be rattling around the kitchen tempting myself!

PhoenixMama Mon 18-Mar-19 21:49:57

First day done! Hit 851 calories, missed a few of the little things when I was menu planning but I'm ok with that. Kinda weird to not be eating all day, but aside for around 40 minutes I never really felt hungry!

PhoenixMama Tue 19-Mar-19 08:40:16

6lbs down from day 1!

S021 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:41:32

6lbs!
Wow - how much do you have to lose?

S021 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:42:29

Sorry as worded wrong.
Not have to lose. How much would you like to lose.

alem Tue 19-Mar-19 08:48:29

So I'm joining in today. Day 1. I have done 5:2 good a long time... On and off.
So day 1 should be ok, just like a usual fast day. I think it will be continuing that will be hard. Is this what others have found?

PhoenixMama Tue 19-Mar-19 09:48:23

S021 No worries, I knew what you meant grin Ideally 3 stone, but that might be hard as I'm on antidepressants which made me gain 25lbs in 2 months so I'm not sure how my body will respond. I'll happily take 2 stone but plan is to do 8 weeks & then re-evaluate.

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 19-Mar-19 11:36:06

Welcome alem and so21 and anyone else new - great to see so many people joining!

Alem it's interesting, I find the fast days almost easier than the other days, less to think about I suppose. Longer term I think the low calories forced me to really think about how and why I eat, and some of my unhealthy behaviours around food and that can take a bit of getting used to, and I used to crave a big feed which I suppose you don't get doing 5:2 because you can always have more on a non fast day. I am finding g alternate day fasts working well for me at the moment.

howhowhow Tue 19-Mar-19 12:58:54

Hello all. I've graduated from my 8 weeks on bsd now. Not really sure what I'm doing to be honest but seem to have lost 3lbs in the last week which is better than I was doing on 800 cals a day. Still doing 800 occasionally and trying to keep overall cals down. Think I need a better plan than just skip breakfast. I'm 13 stone 11 now and feel much thinner. I think the next half stone will make a massive difference to how I look. I started at 15 stone 13lb at the beginning of Jan so am quite pleased with my progress. Only another 4 stone to go!!

agteacht Tue 19-Mar-19 19:04:06

Some amazing results here. Well done @howhowhow !

I am on day 3 and haven't hit 800 yet (always over) but getting much closer!

noworklifebalance Tue 19-Mar-19 19:23:57

Hi all - I am completely new to all this.

My weight has crept up over the last few years in particular and I am about 1.5-2 stone over my ideal.

My vice is refined sugar and carbs such as bread/pasta/potatoes are a distant second. I do like wine but can easily not drink it for weeks on end.

I have googled endlessly about BSD/5:2/fast 800 but I don't know which one I should start with - pointers in the right direction welcome! TIA

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 19-Mar-19 20:18:06

Closing the kitchen on approx 1300 cals, 60g carbs, I did an absolutely ludicrous 32,700 steps of which 18km was a run so all in all a pretty good day! I feel weirdly not hungry, although I should be after that! I am going to have some Greek yog and frozen cherries while watching the last episode of Shetland!

No work welcome. Personally I never got on with the original 5:2 because I have no appetite off switch so I negated my fast days with high calorie non fast days. Fast 800 and BSD are basically the same in the early days, it just depends how much weight you have to lose and how long you can manage on 800 calories a day. Perhaps try the fast 800 for 2 weeks then reassess, you might feel ready to switch to a more relaxed approach or might be ok to continue 800 calorie days for a while longer.

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 19-Mar-19 20:20:02

Oh and tomorrow is a fast day so I'll be having a bolognese type meal in the evening with lentil pasta and grated cheese. Enough calories in the day for an almond milk shake if necessary. I'm trying to get some live bacteria in by having kefir shakes to try to shift this wretched cold I have.

noworklifebalance Tue 19-Mar-19 20:37:25

Thanks very much, thenewaverage, I'll give the fast800 a go.
Insane step count, btw!!

Home77 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:36:37

Anyone else finding their appetitive becoming a bit more manageable on this plan? I'm a total carb and sugar addict and can never stop after one biscuit. It's helping that a bit.

PhoenixMama Wed 20-Mar-19 11:00:42

Thenewaverage Do you run on fast days? I want to get back into running but worry it will make me insanely hungry while I'm doing Fast800.

After day 2 I'm another 2lbs down, that makes 8lbs in 2 days!

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 20-Mar-19 11:37:30

Home that's ideally the result you're after. It's all to do with insulin resistance- if you eat lots of carbs you will pump out lots of insulin, which does 2 things: 1) it is the fat storage hormone so you'll store fat rather than burn it, and 2) it will give you peaks and troughs in your blood sugars which means you will be hungry as the excess insulin 'mops up' the blood glucose, so you body thinks it's starving and goes hunting out more carbs. This exacerbates the 'can't stop eating' feeling Even further. By balancing out your insulin response, you should hopefully experience a much calmer appetite.

Phoenix to be honest I have really struggled to balance out my fast days and my running days, especially since January when I switched to doing longer runs on fewer days. I was just starving all the time! I've settled in a nice routine now of doing alternate day fasts, and running on non fast days, which seems to be working quite well. I am really focussing on getting my protein levels up as well on both fast and non fast days. It's a balancing act really because I need to run for my mental health and also it really is helping me maintain my weight, but if I run too often or don't fuel myself properly, I The go too far the other way and find myself bingeing on carbs.

howhowhow Wed 20-Mar-19 11:45:23

Nowork I would start with the original bsd 800 cals a day. Fast 800 is similar but seems to allow more grains / fruit. I'm going to reintroduce the grains when I have less to lose but right now I want quick weight loss. I've sort of moved to 5:2 now but not in a very scientific way - I try and stick to 800 cals but don't stress out if I go over as long as it's on plan. Alcohol stalls me.

I bought size 14 jeans the other day and they are a bit big so nsv for me!!!

Home77 Wed 20-Mar-19 11:59:50

Thanks, yes I think that is the case - still eating some carbs in this plan but small amounts and unrefined / veg type things helps...it is a good thing isn't it. Not missing having the shaky stressed feeling when the blood sugar crashes.

Astella22 Wed 20-Mar-19 12:10:43

Hello everyone
I’m a complete newbie to the BSD and am on day 3 today, it’s going ok so far. I feel like I need a strict diet to start with otherwise I’ll just fall back to bad snacking. I’m a total carbaholic bread with nearly every meal and multiple bars of chocolate a day blush
I’ve allot of weight to loose about 2.5-3 st.
The scales said I lost 3lbs the first day but I’m thinking that can’t be right and I must of taken an inaccurate reading the first day. Anyway I’m carrying on.
I’ve an underactive thyroid so loosing weight has always been a very slow process which can be extremely disheartening.
I felt hungry last night after dinner but just drank a few cups of tea (2tsp milk each) and the hunger passed.
Best of luck to everyone today.
My meals today are
Breakfast: 2tblsp Greek yogurt with 20g toasted almond flakes and a handful of blueberries 200cals
Lunch: Mushroom Omlet 220 caps
Dinner Chicken fillet with chilli and lime, portion guacamole and steamed broccoli calories 350

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 20-Mar-19 12:48:10

Home it's one of the best things about this diet when it's going well, it just doesn't feel like a diet because I feel so calm and in control around food. For someone like me who's basically a golden retriever- constantly rewarding myself with food and always chasing my next morsel- it's life changing really.

Astella 3lbs On day 1 could well be real! Welcome to the club!

notapizzaeater Wed 20-Mar-19 15:59:27

Week 1 - 7.75
Week 2 - 3.5
Week 3 - 2.5
Then oops 3 weeks off - (birthday, valentines etc) with a gain of 1.75 lbs
Week 4 - 4.5
Week 5 - 4
Week 6 - 3.5

Loving this WOE ......

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 20-Mar-19 18:11:00

Not that's brilliant, well done!

Closing the kitchen early today on 965 cals, 44g carbs, I did 17k steps cleaning my house, no running today!
I haven't drunk enough as I've been so busy so I need to guzzle a few pints now. Plus, it's not technically BSD, but I bought some sugar free lemonade and raspberry syrup in tkmaxx yesterday which I will have later with an ice cold sparkling water- hoping it will be a nice change from squash and a calorie and sugar free treat . We'll see!

Maccalenny Wed 20-Mar-19 20:17:58

bear that is an impressive amount of cleaning!

Not well done! What are you planning at eight weeks? Carrying on or adjusting a bit?

Astella the hunger passes within a few days, even for the most carb-addicted. Your body just adapts and it feels really good not to obsess about the next meal all the time.

howhowhow result on the jeans! Congrats on your loss so far, it’s fab!

I’m nearing the end of week four, 16lb down and feeling good.

PhoenixMama Wed 20-Mar-19 20:24:13

Love the phrase 'closing the kitchen'! All done at 843 cals. Most surprising is my dinner was half veg & much smaller than usual and I feel stuffed full.

NotSureThisIsWhatIWant Wed 20-Mar-19 20:25:27

Place marking. I have been doing some of the recipes but still eating other stuff.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 20-Mar-19 20:31:01

Not sure where 'closing the kitchen' came from, we've always said it on here! It's the old line in the sand thing, eating is done for the day.

I would love to say that after 4.5 hours cleaning (I even moved the sofa dammit) the place was spic and span, but annoyingly not. Plus anyone with kids will know that they can undo in ten minutes that which took ten hours to complete....!

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 21-Mar-19 08:13:05

Weighed in today after my fast day and I'm another pound ish down, so now 10.1.4. The shrewd among us will notice that I regularly boing around from excesses of eg. 10.10 on 25th Feb, to around 10.3 which is my 'normal', so it's very difficult to calculate if I've actually lost any weight really, although that's 8.5lb since Feb 25th! What I really need to do now is carry this momentum forward over the weekend and into next week, and do the same again, which I think is how I'll see actual weightloss and not yo-yoing.

Today I'm going for a run this morning in this lovely sunshine, then a salad lunch (I've been watching an avocado ripen all week and I reckon today's the day!) and a tandoori roast chicken and salad/roasted cauli tonight. Non fast day so aiming for about 1200 cals.

Lots of jobs to do, including getting my summer clothes down to plan my suitcase for dh and my weekend away in a few weeks. Not because I'm super organised but because I'm going shoe hunting tomorrow and I need to know what to get! But it will be interesting to see if my body shape has changed at all since September (because my weight hasn't)

Home77 Thu 21-Mar-19 08:44:14

I know this is a 'real food' diet but has anyone found certain things to buy convenient and fit in with the plan? I'm having the Fit Kitchen lunch boxes sometimes and they seem good filling and high in protein. Also the Fage greek yoghurt.

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 21-Mar-19 09:23:17

Home I like the Young's gastro fish range- look at the labels because some are quite high in carbs but others are good freezer staples. Plus calamari = yummy! Actually any frozen fish is an okay choice if it's an emergency (even breaded/battered occasionally). I also buy the Tesco own brand Greek yogurt because it comes in 100g pots as I cannot be trusted with the big buckets.
I buy peanut butter powder (PB fit) because I can't be trusted with peanut butter either (can you see the theme emerging....!)
Other things like frozen fruit/berries instead of fresh to keep the cost down.
Market gourmet pui lentils in the tomato sauce are absolutely delicious too.
It's really a case of having a try of new things. Read the labels, look for added sugar and added sugars in the ingredients lists, and look for those key carbs we avoid (so potato, rice etc ) and total carbs in the nutritional value tables. If sugar isn't listed and the carbs are low I'll try them out.

Oh and get some freezer pots and a sharpie- I freeze a few meals every week, saves eating the leftovers or having seconds, and it means I've always got a meal there if I need something.

PhoenixMama Thu 21-Mar-19 10:29:26

@Home I'm using some of the COOK meals for 1, you need to be careful which ones but knowing I just have to throw something in the microwave is super helpful for me.

@TheNewAverage Wow good on you for doing this for so long! If you don't mind me asking, how much have you lost so far? Are you tracking inches as well?

Weighed in for day three and down another 2lbs, so 10lbs for the week so far. I also measured myself and I'm 7.75 inches down in a week! I can't bloody believe it!

Astella22 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:46:30

@Maccalenny I really hope so. I had dinner last night which looked pretty big with lots of veg and protein but I would of wolfed down a portion of chips with it no bother. Had dinner @8 but was hungry until I fell asleep.
Woke up lots last night too but I think I’m just anxious over a job interview I had so it might not be related to the diet.
My kitchen was closed at 842 grin

Today’s weigh was another 2lbs down so that’s an overall loss at the start of day 4 of 6lbs shock

I’m finding the level of prep needed a bit annoying but I’m hoping I’ll find a few go to easy meals.

Wishing everyone well today

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 21-Mar-19 10:48:54

Phoenix I started originally (I think on thread 4 on here!) in January 2017, just had my third baby and I was 13.6 I think. I lost 21lb in the 8 weeks, then another 7 or so. Then yo-yo dieted, reintroduced carbs, and put most of it back on. Last January 2018 I basically decided that I was fed up of dieting, so I gave myself one year, and decided that I would do 12 Months hardcore and whatever I weighed at the end was 'my forever weight' and no more diets. I committed to run for 10 minutes every day on our treadmill and do 100% sugar free for 3 months and see what happened....

Well, I'm now running a lot and I've lost about 3 stone, but my body shape has changed so dramatically. I've gone from a generous 14 to an 8. I'm obviously still 'dieting' but I think because it's a health thing now and I'm not punishing myself to lose weight and bingeing it all back on it's ok. Plus I think if I didn't have some sort of diet in my life, I wouldn't know what to do having been on a diet my entire adult life!

PhoenixMama Thu 21-Mar-19 12:20:04

Wow @TheNewAverage that is massively inspiring. Good for you! Your shape is so very different. I really miss my waist! I used to be a lovely hourglass shape but since my daughter (9 years ago) and all the meds I've had to take I've become an apple. You're also inspiring with the running. I'm not going to do any on this first two weeks but I want to get back to it in week 3. I was doing Couch to 5km before we got hit with all the illnesses! Thank you for sharing!

howhowhow Thu 21-Mar-19 16:56:53

The new average you have done amazingly well. I'm desperate to get the next half stone off. I've been losing a lb a day for a few days but was slightly up this morning. I have to keep reminding myself overall it's going down.

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 21-Mar-19 17:43:17

Aw thanks. I always share those pictures because sometimes I think we don't really believe it can happen for 'normal' people like us! To be fair there's a lot of people who have lost a lot more than me, but it's really changed my life, and I still pinch myself a bit when I try on clothes or, like today, put on clothes that used to be tight and they are too loose to wear. I think because it comes off quickly, people really notice too and that's very motivating.

I'm closing the kitchen on nearly 1400 cals and 79g carbs. 20k steps of which 9km was a run. I went slightly over because my dinner was so damn tasty I had to have more! All I did was roast a chicken smeared in tandoori curry paste and served it with cauliflower rice (seasoned and cooked with garlic, cabbage and peas) but oh boy it was divine. Then, very bad BSD behaviour, I ate half a Tim of pineapple chunks with Ds, (I cannot bear wasting food especially something that's been flown halfway round the world) and that was also delicious- very sweet though!

noworklifebalance Thu 21-Mar-19 21:19:43

I am sure this has been asked several times before but I can't find the answer.... how do you manage the fast800 if you are going out for a meal? My friend has a birthday dinner coming up but I can't save all 800cal for that as I will be at work during the day and can't be distracted by hunger!

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 21-Mar-19 21:55:19

No work this isn't the official line but what I'd probably do is go low carb/low cal all day, then choose sensibly off the menu for the evening meal. I may even have a small pudding and treat it as a 'cheat' meal! Depending on whether or not alcohol is involved, this usually goes fairly well to plan. One meal out of a week isn't going to make too much difference; what does the real damage is the next few days if you carry on!

PhoenixMama Thu 21-Mar-19 22:58:03

I've got a baby shower tea on Sunday which will be lovely but not exactly healthy! My plan is to fast until I get there (1130) and have a healthy small dinner but not stress about it too much. Plus my stomach had shrink so much I can't comfortably go crazy!

So closing the kitchen tonight at 873(Ish because I tasted the hummus I was making & the bsd recipe came up differently on mfp).

I felt absolutely starving today. Ended up having to have a banana for a snack because my stomach was rumbling so loudly.

I'm terrified about tomorrow, I'm doing a master's and tomorrow is a class day with loads of biscuits & fish & chips for lunch! I've packed my own lunchbox with hummus, cukes, a low cal lunch & a piece of the peanut butter chocolate fudge. I need to stay on track.

Maccalenny Fri 22-Mar-19 04:53:02

bear amazing photos! I’m a really bad cook - could you more explicit on how do your cauliflower rice? I’ve tried but never really found a recipe I’ve enjoyed.

phoenixmama hope all the planning helps and you can through the day ok. The peanut butter chocolate fudge sounds gorgeous but also like 800cals in one bite! If this is a suitable recipe I need it...

Maccalenny Fri 22-Mar-19 05:46:28

My happy scale graph for the last month. I like the way it averages out the ups and downs so they bother me less. I had about a week and a half with very slow losses, but have dropped three pounds in a couple of days. Aren’t bodies strange!

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 22-Mar-19 07:38:27

Macca I have never particularly like cauli rice either to be honest but decided to try again. I chopped up the cauli (but it would be better done in a food processor) until it looks like couscous grains. The recipe I saw said to squeeze all the water out by wrapping it up in a clean tea towel but I didn't do that! Bit of olive oil in a pan on low and dump the cauli in, and then stir it round until it cooks soft, don't let it burn. Once it's nearly soft, add your flavours so I added paprika, garlic, some desiccated coconut, a handful of frozen shredded cabbage and a handful of petit pois. Lots of pepper and salt. It was very tasty.

You could do different flavours eg. Lemon and coriander, sundried Tom and basil, maybe some chilli? The key is to stop it going bitter by cooking it slowly I think and use the cauli as a base for other flavours rather than a main event. I must admit, with a curry, I love whole cauliflower just lightly roasted (cut into big thick slices down through the core so they look like trees) and seasoned, cauli and tandoori is particularly nice.

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 22-Mar-19 07:40:55

Macca I like your happy graph too! I weigh almost daily but record weekly and monthly if that makes sense, so for example I might have an up/down week, but at weigh in on Wednesday be 1lb up, but on my end of the month weigh in I'll be 5lbs down. It's very confusing!

Seawig Fri 22-Mar-19 08:06:22

Love the graph!

I'm on a plateau again at the moment but pushing on with lots of water, high protein and green veg and know it'll move again.

Remeasured my waist this morning. In 4 weeks I have lost 3 inches off my waist. I am amazed. I can see a waist again for one, but mostly I am relieved my risk of major health issues has dropped from losing all that belly fat.

I am slightly worried I will need to live on very low carbs and 800 calories forever, but I'll worry about that once I get to a healthy weight and see what I need to hold me at that level.

I'm a bit tired from going to sleep too late, but my energy is better on this food plan than I've ever been.

Still only eating between 12 noon and 8pm and that helps me resist the normal habit of eating non stop all day once I start.

PhoenixMama Fri 22-Mar-19 08:50:10

Keto flu in full effect here! Ugh.

Astella22 Fri 22-Mar-19 09:47:10

Stuck 100% to the diet but woke up this morning with. .8lb gain sad also got my period today so I’m hoping that’s what has thrown me off. Normally I’m a total carb addict at this time so I’ll see how the next few days go but it could be tough.

Great graph wink must do one of my own

PhoenixMama Fri 22-Mar-19 10:25:10

@macca I'll post the fudge review tonight. Mine works out to 88cals a piece. Def worth it!

Also what do you use to get your chart?

Maccalenny Fri 22-Mar-19 19:03:38

It’s the happy scale app. You can use most of it for free, but pay a bit to lose the ads etc. I really like it, as it’s not like the ones where your weight looks like it is going up and down like crazy. We know that fat levels don’t really vary like that, and that those little fluctuations are probably fluid, so it helps to show that graphically.

bear thank you for the cauli rice ideas. I have a cauli in the fridge so will be trying one tomorrow.

phoenixmama looking forward to the fudge recipe!

PhoenixMama Fri 22-Mar-19 22:09:11

So here's the Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge recipe. It's definitely worth entering the recipe into MFP and letting it know how many squares you cut it into as that changes the calories per piece. I also used a slightly longer tin and made it thinner which helps.

Time needed: 20 minutes + setting • Calories per serving: 102 per square • Servings: 16-20 squares •

Ingredients
• 200g (7oz) coconut milk
• 200g (7oz) dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, chopped
• 100g (3.5oz) peanut butter
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 4 tablespoons oat bran (optional)

Method
1. Bring coconut milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Meanwhile, line a loaf pan with foil or baking paper.

2. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Stand for a few minutes so the chocolate melts.

3. Stir in the peanut butter, vanilla and oat bran (if using). I like to leave a few chunks of peanut butter in the mixture.

4. Transfer fudge mixture to the prepared tin and refrigerate for a few hours, or until set.

5. Chop into small squares.

* After cutting them I added a sprinkle of seasalt & it really helps balance the sweetness!

This thread is not accepting new messages.