Talk

Advanced search

What food has the least calories for the most bulk and has the best chance of filling me up?

(20 Posts)
fakenamefornow Thu 25-May-17 20:58:58

I'm not eating celery! Disgusting stuff.

StealthPolarBear Thu 25-May-17 20:59:59

Mushroom are good
Eggs

SoftSheen Thu 25-May-17 21:01:55

Lentils?

Tinseleverywhere Thu 25-May-17 21:03:59

I would say that its best to have something with protein and fat along with your low cal veggies. That might use more calories but it will satisfy your hunger better.

LiveLifeWithPassion Thu 25-May-17 21:05:40

A hearty soup or stew with beans, veg and fish/chicken/lean meat.

pangolinfan Thu 25-May-17 21:26:11

Soup, prawns, eggs, quorn (in stir frys or other veggie based dishes), are my go to things.

fakenamefornow Thu 25-May-17 22:20:35

Any science? Bulk to calorie ratio? I don't mind eating just one thing, it doesn't have to be a meal.

SleightOfHand Thu 25-May-17 22:26:39

Oats.

Blondie1984 Fri 26-May-17 00:31:53

Studies have shown that protein in the most satiating of the 3 macro food groups so why not try something like a big prawn salad or, if you can bear them, some egg whites

Soup is another good option as the liquid element helps fill your tummy

I'm also a fan of 0% fat greek yoghurt and sugar free jelly,

MaudesMum Fri 26-May-17 08:35:06

I add some lentils to a veggie soup to give it a bit more bulk, and do find that a bowl of that fills me up nicely at lunchtime. Mixed veg casseroles with beans are also very good, and there's a dahl recipe in the BSD recipe book which is very filling and comforting. So, basically lentils and beans!! They also have the advantage of being cheap, so if you're trying to do this and save money, they're helpful, and leave more cash for nice but healthy treats like free-range eggs and wholemilk yoghurt.

AuntieStella Fri 26-May-17 08:46:12

Definitely soup for me.

And perhaps a whole large pot of an Alpro yoghurt (lots of the same thing theory, and very filling) or Skyr.

Strokethefurrywall Fri 26-May-17 18:23:25

I always eat steamed vegetables. The best filler with the lowest calories for me is cauliflower or mashed swede.

Barely any calories and spectacularly filling. Even better if you eat them together!

bingohandjob Sun 04-Jun-17 06:46:28

Courgetti, cauliflower rice - I like them with strong herb or spice flavours as they add bulk, texture and feel really satisfying to scoff. Mountain of green cabbage and broccoli.

MyOtherProfile Sun 04-Jun-17 06:48:34

Courgette, mushrooms, eggs, green salad

PicardsCombOver Sun 04-Jun-17 20:37:23

Pickled onions.

missanony Sun 04-Jun-17 20:38:37

Grilled chicken breast

annandale Sun 04-Jun-17 20:41:27

I find a big plate of spinach leaves with cucumber slices and drizzled dressing of mixed mayonnaise and vinegar keeps me going quite well.

Also eating a big ripe Bramley apple.

P1nkP0ppy Fri 09-Jun-17 17:00:38

Celery stuffed with cream cheese or peanut butter is divine.
Roasted Mediterranean vegetables and couscous.
Large glasses of grapefruit juice diluted with fizzy water fill me up.

TalkinPeece Fri 16-Jun-17 18:07:03

Have a look at this
www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm

If I want to absolutely stuff myself on 400 calories, nothing beats vegetable soup - one of those big pots from the supermarket

if I'm meant to be fasting but know my tummy will rumble, I munch on three whole raw carrots - they take about 20 minutes to eat and are stuff all calories

clickhappy Sun 25-Jun-17 13:15:20

Not healthy, but zero noodles in a veggie stir fry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now