Talk

Advanced search

Loose skin question

(7 Posts)
NigellaEllaElla Wed 01-Jun-16 14:46:33

Hi,

I'm about to start the 5:2 diet as a few of my friends have had great success with it.

My question is more of a general weight loss one really. I've been overweight all of my adult life, generally between a size 16-20 and I'm now aged 39. Is it possible for me to lose weight and not have any loose flabby skin or do I need to resign myself to the fact that whilst I may lose weight, due to the fact I've been overweight so long, I am going to be left with loose, saggy skin that I won't be able to tone up?

Thanks

SeaEagleFeather Sat 04-Jun-16 11:47:36

everyone's different but I found that I got flabby skin but that after a few months it gradually tightened up. I was 43 at the time with generally poor/prematurely aged skin all my life. I'd hit Obese BMI at the time, am now middle - Normal weight due to 5:2ing and exercise.

could try losing weight for a while, stopping to let your skin adjust, then losing some more?

DaughterDrowningInJunk Sat 04-Jun-16 11:51:36

In short, I don't know. My skin is really good at the moment but I am worried that when I lose weight I will be left with loose skin as I am very overweight and have been for a while. I just have to keep telling myself that I will look and feel better when I am thinner, regardless of loose skin. Please don't let a fear of loose skin sabotage your attempts to lose weight.

Losing weight slowly seems sensible, as well as doing a variety of different types of exercise.

honeyandmarmitesandwiches Sat 04-Jun-16 11:54:32

I think if you're losing the weight slowly and taking exercise, something like Pilates for example which is very toning, loose skin won't be a problem.

NigellaEllaElla Sat 04-Jun-16 17:42:34

Thank you. I do Pilates and walk quite a lot. But you're right, the thought of loose skin shouldn't put me off losing the weight.

BigChocFrenzy Mon 06-Jun-16 22:52:46

Several people have lost quite a few stone on 5:2, starting at BMI 40+
At least a couple of them post on the current 5:2 Main Thread #63 So far, their skin seems ok.

If you lose weight at the natural pace of your body, which may be 3 lb weekly for the first few months, this should allow your skin time to maintain its elasticity.
The rate of loss normally slows down after this and also most people experience a plateau every few months. So this all allows the skin more time to adjust to your new size & shaoe.

What helps:
+ 3 days per week resistance training, e.g. pilates, pump, lifting weights, bodyweight training such as pressups & squats.
+ Massage your skin daily with birch oil, which may also help reduce the appearance of cellulite.
+ Reasonably healthy food, with not much sugary junk, so your body has plenty of nutrients. Also keeping within nhs alcohol guidelines.

loveyouradvice Tue 30-Aug-16 15:09:58

Hi ... Im going to post about this too.... I lost over 5 stone age 49 ... down to 11 stone... without loose skin... but who knows if that was luck or what I did....
- Regular bio oil self- massages - as often as I remembered - 3 times a week
- Daily skin brushing - buy from Body shop or similar - quite robust and you glow afterwards
- Great vitamins....
- Getting fit - walking, dancing, swimming...

Good luck! Ondine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now