Talk

Advanced search

Anyone reached a plateau and if so ...

(6 Posts)
fluffiphlox Thu 24-Mar-16 15:20:05

...how did you get over it? I'm still being quite rigorous about fast days but the weight loss has really slowed. I've lost roughly two stone so far but not much of that has been since Christmas.

BigChocFrenzy Fri 25-Mar-16 08:13:36

Well done on your SV smile
The reason for such a plateau is usually NFDs (Non Fast Days) - eating back the FD deficit. You have the classic symptoms smile
So this means learning to be more disciplined on NFDs:

1) Ensure a good weekly calorie deficit
After losing 2 stone, your TDEE has dropped, so you need to recalculate for your current weight.

Mfp for at least a week, for a reality check on your NFD intake - it needs to average around TDEE. Some folk have had a real shock after this.
mfp can highlight calorie bombs or excessive portion size for your body.

Many folk find it easier to "bank" calories below TDEE during the week, to allow extra on Saturday & Sunday.

2) NO snacking / grazing between meals
Otherwise your insulin level is permanently raised, which hinders fat-burning and increases fat storage.

So, have any "treats" or alcohol as part of a meal, not between meals.

3) The TYPE of food / drink
Of course FDs should be free of alcohol or sugary junk.

Also, the quality of NFDs affects weight loss
Your liver has a lot of work to do if you overconsume sugar or alcohol, so processing of bodyfat is reduced.

+ High sugar intake spikes insulin and switches your body to fat storage, especially around your midsection.
Keep sugary treats, cake, baked goods etc to sensible portions.
+ Alcohol stops fat-burning until the liver has processed the toxic byproducts. It also tends to store fat around your middle.
. Keep within nhs limits for alcohol

4) Exercise
Do at least your daily 10k steps
If you can, do vigorous exercise at least 3 days per week: HIIT and also strength training are especially good.

fluffiphlox Fri 25-Mar-16 09:05:47

Thanks so much for such a detailed reply. Not sure what SV stands for. smile
I don't eat between meals or drink on FDs. As I say I'm quite disciplined.
As you suggest, it might be an idea to revisit my TDEE. I have just finished the Couch to 10K app (though I'm not covering 10K in the time allowed- I'm 58) but I definitely think I could investigate some other sort of (weight) training in addition to the running. I've been busy with work lately but things are tailing off so I can probably get out more now.
Thank you again.

BigChocFrenzy Fri 25-Mar-16 10:53:08

You're welcome smile
SV = Scale Value
i.e. congrats on weight loss so far

BigChocFrenzy Fri 25-Mar-16 10:58:33

btw, I'll be 60 this summer.
No question that weight loss is much more difficult post-meno, because of the hormonal changes that have occurred.
Weight management for me, as a lifelong exerciser, was a doddle before about 45, when pre-meno started.

5:2 worked when nothing else had. However, I had to totally change my attitude and accept it was something that required discipline & planning.
Even more important, I've been successfuly maintaining for more than 2 years on 5:2

fluffiphlox Fri 25-Mar-16 12:05:32

There's hope for me yet! Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now