If most veg is calorie neutral....

(6 Posts)
Scooterloo Wed 23-Mar-16 11:06:17

in that the body uses more calories processing the veg than the calories in the veg, can I eat as much veg as I want on 5:2?!

Vibrantella Wed 23-Mar-16 12:21:37

I'm not sure that anything is actually calorie neutral, but (green) veggies are pretty low calorie items anyway. Lots of people find a large salad with, eg. plenty of green leaves, radishes, celery, mushrooms (not officially a veg!), sliced peppers, a few olives, a handful of fresh herbs and a home-made vinaigrette dressing very filling, especially with a serving of protein (boiled eggs, piece of meat, tin of fish etc.).

Cooking, though, collapses plant cell walls, so cooked veg are much denser (so your whole bowl of fresh spinach becomes 2 spoons of wilted). Also, there's the added cooking fat that needs to be accounted for.

In my experience, it's always best to MFP everything at the beginning, until you find out what are your "almost-free" foods.

yumyumpoppycat Wed 23-Mar-16 18:08:30

Its not just about the calories its also about giving your body a rest from digestion. ..I think!

BigChocFrenzy Wed 23-Mar-16 20:12:11

No, veg is NOT "calorie neutral"- no food has yet been found - and scientifically proven - to require more calories to digest than it contains, e.g. see Wiki , MayoClinic

BigChocFrenzy Wed 23-Mar-16 20:16:44

However, if you just ate non-starchy veg on FDs (fast days) without any sauce or oil etc, with no other accompanying food or fruit, you would be unlikely to exceed the 500 cal limit for women.

If you made veg into smoothies / juices, you could probably drink more than 500 cals worth.

ivykaty44 Wed 23-Mar-16 20:20:18

The fibre is vegetables would bulk you out so that you would not be hungry. Though probably bored, they found feeding people veg only did eliminate a few problems health wise for people...

If you juiced or made smoothies you would get ride of the fibre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now