Treating myself to fast days

(14 Posts)
LovelyBath Wed 16-Mar-16 21:33:04

I've recently started fasting and trying 4:3 to start with as have a bit of weight to lose. Something which is helping me is going to a cafe on these days and having this salad- it's very healthy with lots of things like avacado, chicken and mango as well as green salad and sprouting seeds. It's pretty big- so not sure exactly how many calories but I guess under 400? Anyway having that and then later, some Total Zero yoghurt with lots of berries- strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.

So trying to get my 5 a day too. So far, it's been Ok and not really hungry that much, going to bed early helps too.

I think, as it's a 'treat' to eat out and away from the snacks at home, it's helping me. It's not cheap, I know but giving up booze and putting this into my new habit...

TalkinPeace Fri 18-Mar-16 14:37:19

anything with avocado and mango will not be under 400 calories
does it have any dressing?
sounds to me like your intake is nearer 800-900 calories

on a 500 cal day you need to eat in and record accurately

kiwidreamer Fri 18-Mar-16 21:18:26

Unfortunately I have to agree with pp that its very unlikely that the salad you described is under 500cals... however in saying that I do 3 fast days at about 600/700 as I struggled terribly on 500cal and kept screwing up, upping my cams and adding a third day works well for me... as long as I don't eat back my calorie deficit during the NFD!!

kiwidreamer Fri 18-Mar-16 21:20:06

cams = cals

StealthPolarBear Fri 18-Mar-16 21:21:13

I don't do 5:2 bur agree treating myself helps to counter the feelings of denial and punishment. So I buy sushi and edamanae beans.

kiwidreamer Fri 18-Mar-16 21:22:31

I have some super posh tea - chocolate tea - that I adore and at £10 for 30 tea bags its a definite fast day treat!

yumyumpoppycat Fri 18-Mar-16 22:22:21

Pret does salads with avocado that are quite low in cals - you only get a little avo though, you have to be careful as the calorie count in those salads doesn't include the dressings in little pots.

yumyumpoppycat Fri 18-Mar-16 22:23:57

chocolate tea you say! I suppose it only works out at 33p each?

LovelyBath Tue 22-Mar-16 17:11:02

Hi again. Thanks for the replies. I was interested to hear the salad could be so calorific so I got the ingredients and amounts from the cafe and thought I'd put it through a calorie counter app to check it out. (I also would like to make it at home sometimes) Here's what I got- (it doesn't have a dressing)

Avocado 30g- 48
Mango- 30g- 18
Radish- 10g- 2
Sprouting seeds- 30g- 12
Sugar snap peas-50g- 21
Mixed leaves-100g- 17
Carrot-50g 12
Seeds- 20g 89
Sliced chicken- 100g 113

Total- 332

I also did my Total zero yoghurt and berries-

Yoghurt-100g- 57
Berries- (strawbs, 25g 8
rasps 25g and 13
blueberries 25g) 14

Total- 92

So my total for the day is 424

I'm quite happy with that. I think it would be a good idea to try and make batches of the salad at home but not sure where I'd get the sprouting seeds...maybe the grocer nearby would have them. Any thoughts welcome.

yumyumpoppycat Tue 22-Mar-16 17:18:39

sainsburys sells sprouted seeds i think in the salad section. In theory it is quite easy to sprout your won, never done this myself though!

SummerHouse Tue 22-Mar-16 17:23:37

Wow. Its impressive to do the 5:2 and be that healthy and tasty! You have it sussed! I can only suggest black coffee as a helpful aid.

LovelyBath Tue 22-Mar-16 20:30:31

Well, I've only been doing it a couple of weeks so far, we'll see if I can keep it up! I'm kind of trying to be healthy too and it seems this kind of goes with fast days... I've read a couple of books as well as the fast diet ones, the ones which I have found helpful so far are the Headspace diet and also the Sugar Solution.

I do like black coffee and now I've done my calorie totals think i can maybe even have a square of dark chocolate mmm

BigChocFrenzy Fri 25-Mar-16 08:20:55

Sounds a delicious menu.
You are welcome to join us on the Main 5:2 / IF Thread
It's pretty active, so always someone around for friendly support & advice.

LovelyBath Fri 25-Mar-16 18:19:58

Thank you BigChoc, i am feeling a little guilty as have rated a choc cake today haha...but it is easter and not a Fast Day I suppose x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now