Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Starting ADF tomorrow - headaches putting me off - tips please ?

(9 Posts)
FestiveFrumper Sun 03-Jan-16 13:49:43

I've done ADF before and lost a lot of weight all now put back on

I'm an emotional eater - reaching for rubbish to deal with my roller coaster emotions , stress and anxiety . I need to tackle this and plan to read and do adult colouring books to help me relax .

My biggest issue is how rubbish I feel on a fast day - the headaches are awful and paracetamol doesn't touch it sad

I do think this comes from the lack of sugar for that day .

So my plan is on a fast day to have an apple and a low cal yoghurt for breakfast - hoping this will help me deal with the sugar withdrawal and minimise the headache .

Any other tips for headache coping ?

vvviola Sun 03-Jan-16 13:52:34

Would it be worth trying to cut out sugar completely, even on non-fast days (or at least reducing it dramatically?) and then the difference between fast days and non-fast days might not be too dramatic?

Although, from my days on the 5:2 threads really need to get back there I think it was suggested that the headaches can be due to lack of salt, and that things like miso soup or marmite can help?

Yddraigoldragon Sun 03-Jan-16 13:52:47

Eating apple and low cal yoghurt will not help the sugar withdrawal as they both contain sugar.
Better to have eggs or protein? And loads of water will ease the headache.

FestiveFrumper Sun 03-Jan-16 14:00:55

I'm definately going to cut down on sugar in general smile

I know apple and yoghurt contain sugar , the idea is that I need the sugar to avoid the headache - or have I got completely the wrong idea ? blush

FestiveFrumper Sun 03-Jan-16 14:01:33

I drink lots of water too .

The headache is blinding though - I only feel better when I eat but even then it lingers . sad

BigChocFrenzy Mon 04-Jan-16 21:57:52

Apple and yoghurt are simple carbs, which are likely to increase hunger and headaches on an FD.
The sugar hit they produce is short-lived, then your insulin level drops and you feel worse.

I recommend you concentrate on protein and lots of veg, no fruit or juice.
You could optionally have a small portion of baked or boiled potato or a complex carb, e.g. brown rice / quinoa / wholegrain toast.

Many find it easiest to just have black coffee / tea for breakfast, to save cals for a more substantial lunch and / or supper.
Best not to snack, but if you get desperate then raw carrot or celery (no dip)

Also to avoid headaches: a teasp Marmite (no bread) helps, because it replenishes lost salt & minerals and adds B vits.
If you hate Marmite, then a tbsp of unsweetened soy sauce or a mug of hot Bovril made with 1 teasp.

BigChocFrenzy Mon 04-Jan-16 21:59:47

If you eat a lot of sugary crap or booze on NFDs, your FDs may be difficult whatever you eat then.

ToniMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 16-Jan-16 10:31:09

I've found I get really bad headaches on FDs when I have eaten a lot of rubbish the rest of the week. The first few FDs after Christmas were awful.
The best way I have found to tackle the problem is to cut down on the sugar across your whole diet and the FDs become less of an issue.

BigChocFrenzy Mon 18-Jan-16 19:44:00

Yup, you don't have to give up all your favourites, but regularly eating a lot of sugary junk on NFDs would probably negate much of the possible health benefits of fasting; also can slow down weight loss.

So, sensible NFDs: enjoy a slice of cake, not half the cake; a couple of scoops ice cream, not a whole 500ml tub.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now