Talk

Advanced search

Only eating 1 meal a day to lose weight?

(22 Posts)
MarmaladeTeepee Thu 05-Nov-15 17:51:15

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and lost weight as a result? I think this is the natural way of eating for my body as I'm never hungry in the morning and find if I eat lunch (healthy or otherwise) I suffer a massive energy slump mid-afternoon and I find I can easily go til the evening without eating anything. Unless I'm planning on having a takeaway every night (which I'm definitely not!) only eating 1 meal a day should create a calorie deficit for the week shouldn't it? I'm a big fan of homemade stews, curries and stir fries so I'm confident I can get a good balanced meal packed with veggies and lean protein.

I'm 2 stone overweight so although I think this WOE will come naturally to me I really want to lose weight on it too. Today was my first day of consciously trying it and I was surprised at how little I thought about food, normally I'll graze from lunchtime onwards but keeping myself detached from food seems to have eliminated the need to pick, which seems really promising to me.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 05-Nov-15 17:55:23

Sounds good to me. Each to his own I say - whatever works for you. Overall, its the number of calories you consume that counts, whether these are all in one meal, or spread out through the day makes no odds IMO. Just consume fewer than you expend.

I'm calorie counting with the aid of MFP.

MarmaladeTeepee Thu 05-Nov-15 19:48:08

Thanks MrsLeigh I'm not sure why I need the reassurance, it's only food after all! And like you said whatever works. Good luck with your weightloss.

annandale Thu 05-Nov-15 19:51:15

I had a partner who could do this, it worked really well for him. I think AA Gill the food writer only eats once a day too. Tricky if you live with someone who can't do it though grin

MarmaladeTeepee Fri 06-Nov-15 11:22:23

Thanks anna that's good to know flowers

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Fri 06-Nov-15 11:34:38

I only eat one meal a day.
I just eat when i feel hungry. I tend to start thinking about food at about around 4ish and tend to eat about 5:30.

I do go out with friends at lunch but that will be my only meal, usually some fruit or veg infront of the telly in the evening.
I feel slugish and bloated if i eat mych more than that.

Im 5'2 and weigh 9 stone.

BigChocFrenzy Fri 06-Nov-15 21:39:11

If you achieve a weekly calorie deficit, which is sustainable longterm, you should lose the weight you want.
You are probably fasting 22 hours daily and fasting can help correct metabolic issues that may be causing cravings and weight gain.

Sounds like you have sensible balanced meals with plenty of nutrients. So, should be healthy enough and you'll have a daily calorie deficit.

Do keep drinking water, because you won't be getting water from your food during the time you are not eating.
So, start the day with a glass and drink something at least every couple of hours.

Many weightlifters have had success with the "Warrior Diet", which is a similar one meal.
Those guys really have to keep their strength up, so you should be ok.

If you find it tough after a while, you can try extending the eating window to allow 2 meals per day.
Just eating meals - i.e. no snacks, no grazing - usually helps weight loss a lot.

MarmaladeTeepee Fri 06-Nov-15 22:33:29

Thank you Majestic and BigChoc flowers Day 2 of just eating one meal and I'm feeling really positive about it, I can't believe how much more energised I feel. I had an apple and some carrot sticks mid-afternoon and didn't feel any urge to dive into the biscuit tin which is a huge step forward for me!

lorelei9 Sat 07-Nov-15 13:07:37

I'm currently looking at this too - I'm losing weight but it seems very slow. Plus I can totally see how not eating during the day would help - I'm actually running this experiment today and the thought of waiting till 6pm for dinner is actually fine (to my surprise).

That said, I can't see myself sustaining it forever so I'm wondering how it fares in terms of maybe trying it to accelerate weight loss, then maybe doing it 3 or 4 days a week as maintenance. That might not work at all?

I've already noticed that diet days are easier to manage if I eat breakfast later or not at all...so i wonder if breakfast is something I need to ditch in fact.

MarmaladeTeepee Sun 08-Nov-15 10:53:57

I think the key is just to listen to your body and find something that works for you. I'm finding this WOE surprisingly easy, I rarely had breakfast anyway and I would often suffer a huge energy slump after lunch which would lead me to reach for sugary coffee and snacks (normally biscuits) to carry me through. So by cutting lunch out I now feel more energised and productive and I've eliminated the need to snack - double bonus! Dinner has always been my favourite meal of the day and knowing I can eat what I want for this meal and still lose weight is fantastic! I can definitely see me keeping this up long term just because it's so simple and seems to suit my body but I guess it depends on what works for you. IME if it's hard work then you're never going to stick with it long term.

BigChocFrenzy Sun 08-Nov-15 14:03:39

lorelei Alternative versions:
+ 2 meals per day, in a 5-hr eating window. This is known as Fast 5 - there is a TED talk on it and quite a few people do it, at least some days.

+ Easier are 16:8 or 14:10, i.e. 8 or 10 hour eating window, skipping either breakfast or supper

The main key to weight loss is to sustainably achieve a weekly calorie deficit, by whatever combination of methods suita you.
Roughly 3,000 cals weekly deficit for 1lb loss, which is typical of those not far above healthy BMI
If you have a lot to lose, you may find you lose 2-3 lb weekly for several weeks.

A shorter eating period helps some folk achieve a deficit.
Some folk need to train themselves via say mfp, not to eat too much for their body.

What helps nearly everyone:
+ NO snacking / grazing EVER Just eat meals, nothing in between.
+ Keep to NHS safe alcohol limits
+ Cut down junk, especially sugary "treats" like choc, sweets, cake, biscuits etc

lorelei9 Sun 08-Nov-15 18:46:42

BigChoc - thanks, looked that up. Think I will try some variation of this and see if I can lose a bit more each week, half a pound or a pound just seems so rubbish.

thanks.

BigChocFrenzy Sun 08-Nov-15 21:43:32

1lb per week is a good longterm target rate for most folk, not rubbish at all.
It mounts up, then you look back and see how far you have come.

There are some very unhealthy - and temporary - crash diets advocated by daft slebs, which have caused unrealistic expectations.

Safe weight loss is a sustainable process over weeks and months, which takes patience and perseverence.

Any fasters are welcome on our Main IF Thread #58 for friendly support and advice.

lorelei9 Sun 08-Nov-15 22:55:21

Ive had friends lose a stone in 6 weeks on things like WW, SW, low carb etc.

This weekend has been interesting, I think fewer meals would suit me. I have packed my lunch for tomorrow as usual but I wonder if I will want it. Today I ate my main meal at 6 again. Main risk in the office is boredom eating tbh but I work a couple of days so that's helpful.

Thanks for the tips and I will mark that thread as well, looks very useful.

TalkinPeas Mon 09-Nov-15 16:53:00

Ive had friends lose a stone in 6 weeks on things like WW, SW, low carb etc.
But did they keep that weight off for ten years?

Slow and steady only needs doing once grin

lorelei9 Mon 09-Nov-15 17:33:07

Talkin five to seven years from memory?

TalkinPeas Mon 09-Nov-15 17:37:50

TBH there are people who can lose a stone in a couple of weeks - because they were massively over eating before

I lost three stone in 5 months on WW after all
but maintaining at a healthy weight involves re training your brain ....

BigChocFrenzy Mon 09-Nov-15 20:29:11

We've had a few on the 5:2 threads who've lost a stone in 4-6 weeks.
Also one person on the current thread has been losing 3lb per week for quite a while, only recently dropping to nearer 2lb.

BUT They all had quite a few stone to lose.
And they have followed the WOE patiently for weeks.

BigChocFrenzy Mon 09-Nov-15 20:40:36

Someone very overweight losing 3lb per week would lose a stone in 5 weeks.
It's not that unusual for people who are very overweight or massively overeating / boozing.

There are risks if you lose too quickly: there is a Mumsnet poster who often relates how she lost her gallbladder on WW that way.
That is a well-known danger and why doctors generally advise against rapid weight.

BigChocFrenzy Mon 09-Nov-15 20:41:12

loss

MarmaladeTeepee Tue 10-Nov-15 07:15:37

I've lost 4lb in my first week of eating like this. I had lunch on two of the days as was genuinely hungry not just thirsty (I've come to realise that what I thought were hunger signals were actually thirst ones) and I've eaten what I wanted for tea. I think the key for me is that it's all felt very natural and not at all like a hardship, I haven't felt deprived or weak and I can definitely see me sticking with this long term.

BigChocFrenzy Tue 10-Nov-15 20:39:52

Well done on your SV, Marmalade
You seem to have found a WOE that is sustainable for you.
The weight loss will probably reduce after a couple of weeks, but just lose at your own pace. Be patient and you can reach your goal.

And if you need an occasional change, say a couple days a week, you can always have 2 meals, still no snacking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: