Wine on a fast day

(11 Posts)
Magichat Tue 15-Sep-15 10:14:03

I know this isn't the greatest way of doing things, but I'm interested to know how bad it is. I've eaten 300 calories so far and was planning an egg white omelette tonight. However, I've been invited out for drinks after work. Is it dreadful to use those final 200 calories for wine?

DriverSurpriseMe Tue 15-Sep-15 10:19:53

Drinking on an empty stomach is never a good idea!

Ta1kinPeace Tue 15-Sep-15 13:55:50

I don't.
I try to avoid alcohol on 4 days a week - including my fast days.
Also, alcohol when you have very little in your system will hit you harder.
Stick to something low calorie and non alcoholic and then you can feel extra virtuous smile

Magichat Tue 15-Sep-15 14:19:51

I've opted to turn this into a non-fast day, so I can have some food and wine. I'll do another fast day later in the week instead. Completely agree wine is never good on an empty stomach.
I'm only a month in, but I'm finding the 5:2 diet much easier to stick to than other diets and it definitely works. However, I've moved overseas and am trying to meet people, so I hate to say "sorry, I can't come out as I'm on a diet" when someone makes the effort to invite me. At least there is the flexibility to swap around fast days.

Ta1kinPeace Tue 15-Sep-15 14:30:59

Magi
Absolutely : I've been know to scrap a fast day due to changing circumstances - and I've been doing 5:2 for over 3 years!

BigChocFrenzy Tue 15-Sep-15 22:21:59

One of the reasons 5:2 is sustainable is this flexibility, to adapt to your lifestyle.
Best to change an FD to a mini-FD in those circs.

FDs should be alcohol-free because:

. Alcohol reduces fat-burning: The body prioritising metabolising alcohol (because the byproducts are toxins) and stops fat-processing until this is done

. Alcohol blocks health benefits of fasting: Having only 500 cals on FDs should allow the body to switch to cell repair mode (hormesis). However, alcohol or junk food will make the liver / pancreas work hard, which prevents hormesis during this period.

. The FDs should be high-nutrient, to nurture the body, with only 500 cals. Alcohol or junk don't fulfill this function and just waste calories.

We all need at least 2 alcohol-free and junk-free days per week, so it is logical to make these the FDs.

Magichat Tue 15-Sep-15 23:44:24

That makes complete sense BigChoc. What's a mini-FD? It's not a term I've come across.
Thanks for everyone's advice

Ta1kinPeace Wed 16-Sep-15 08:45:06

A mini fast day is the polite term for a half arsed fast that goes a bit wrong grin
1000 calories instead of 500
but its the point of NOT saying "sod it" and inhaling the fridge

BigChocFrenzy Wed 16-Sep-15 09:00:04

Or you can add a mini-FD to a week where you have eaten rather more than usual.

Magichat Wed 16-Sep-15 11:36:44

Excellent explanation Ta1kinPeace. Thanks!

Ta1kinPeace Wed 16-Sep-15 12:34:46

But yes, as BigChoc so rightly says, they are also great for adding a bit of an extra weekly deficit if you have events looming that will preclude proper fast days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now