Talk

Advanced search

5:2 and depression

(6 Posts)
whatsonyourplate Sat 01-Aug-15 12:50:45

Hello, I'm new to this forum, I've just done my second week of 5:2 and it seems to be going OK so far. I was wondering if anyone has experience or knows of any evidence of the effect (positive or negative) of the diet for those suffering from depression. My DH has full on, heavily medicated depression. And the medication makes him hungry and gain weight. I think he could cope with the fast days, but I don't want to risk making his mental state worse. Any advice/ anecdotes appreciated.

vxa2 Sat 01-Aug-15 17:01:03

It's a bit tricky and of course everyone is different. I have acute anxiety and am quite poorly at the moment. I am finding that although it has not resulted in me putting on a huge amount of weight I do find it harder to feel in control of eating which in turn makes me more anxious. I have had success with 5:2 before but I find it hard to do at the moment because if I don't stick to it I feel anxious but equally if I do manage a fast day I feel great. Possibly a bit too great though - almost high. Overall I think the best approach for me is to try and eat a balanced diet and avoid carbs rather than counting calories. I don't think it is a great idea to fast while on meds but really it depends on how your DH feels.

vxa2 Sat 01-Aug-15 17:04:28

I should add I am taking citalopram and rispiridone and before that was taking quetiapine. It's the last two which cause problems for me. What is your DH taking ?

QueenOfNothing Sat 01-Aug-15 17:14:01

The best diet for depression is 'potatoes not prozac'. It's awesome.

Based on it I wouldn't recommend 5:2 for depression.

whatsonyourplate Sat 01-Aug-15 17:55:54

Thanks for your comments. He's on Venlefaxine and mirtazapine at the moment, the latter being notorious for weight gain. Until very recently he was also on Olanzapine which has similar effects. I'll look up that diet Queen thanks.

BigChocFrenzy Sun 02-Aug-15 11:24:40

I'm a great fan of intermittent fasting WOEs like 5:2, but not for someone with a serious condition such as depression, because 5:2 often changes the insulin metabolism etc and may increase stress.

Do consult with your doctor before starting ANY diet, because any food restriction / change is stressful to some extent. Also, some foods or WOEs can interact with medications, even needing dose modifications.

Best wishes to your DH flowers
You are very welcome to post for support for your own 5:2 on the 52Thread55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now