Talk

Advanced search

I'm new to this fasting malarkey. Can I 5:2 and 16:8?

(8 Posts)
BatCrapCrazy Wed 29-Jul-15 16:04:27

I had my first fast yesterday. Didn't eat after 7pm on Monday night, didn't eat yesterday until my 450cal meal at 8pm. This morning I had the gym at 9.30 which I prefer to do fasted anyway other wise i feel sick if I've had breakfast. Didn't eat today until 1pm. I'm planning another fast day tomorrow so won't eat after my tea tonight at about 7pm until my tea at the same time tomorrow. So technically that's doing 5:2 and 16:8 isn't it?

I've put on 10lb over the last 6 weeks (God knows how. I eat well and exercise 5 times a week). I'm getting married in 6 weeks and need to lose some bloat.

I'm also confused as to how many calories I should be eating on NFDs. My TDEE is 1800 cals which seems loads! My food today (lunch, tea and two snacks) adds up to 1200 and it's loads of food.

You can tell I'm new can't you?

HELP

JimmyCorkhill Wed 29-Jul-15 16:12:40

What calculator are you using to find your TDEE? If you use this one and put your activity level at sedentary (regardless of how active you are) this might shift some weight.

Do you read the main 5:2 thread? There is LOTS of advice on there and some very knowledgeable people who could help you.

Oh and yes, you can do 16:8 and 5:2 at the same time.

BatCrapCrazy Wed 29-Jul-15 16:27:05

Just used that tdee calculator and it's come out at 1800 at sedentary. I'm not going mad am I? I'm female, 24, 5ft10 and 10stone 10.

my BMR is 1500calories so should I work to that instead? That's still a lot of calories to consume in 8hours if I'm not including giant slabs of chocolate

BigChocFrenzy Wed 29-Jul-15 16:53:13

With your statistics, 1800 should be fine for NFDs.
Do NOT aim for BMR on 5:2
The FDs are what provide othe calorie deficit to lose weight; the NFDs are to keep this deficit, hence within TDEE. Don't try to force more of a defeicit on NFDs too, or the WOE will not be sustainable.

On NFDs, don't eat junk to come up to TDEE - many better iptions

Nutritious high cal food:
. Oily fish like salmon & mackerel
. avocados
. unsalted nuts
. almond / cashew/ pnut butter
. hummus, taramasalata, tzatziki
. full fat Greek yoghurt, e.g. Total
. olive oil (NOT standard veg oil) drizzled over salads or baked veg
. 85-90% cocoa chocolate (v high antioxidant and v little sugar) e.g. Lindt Mild Excellence
. Dates or figs with cream

BigChocFrenzy Wed 29-Jul-15 16:56:00

The whole point of 5:2 is that you cram the "diet" part into 2 days.

BatCrapCrazy Wed 29-Jul-15 21:30:58

I managed 1500 calories today between 1pm and 9pm. I'm so full I can't move!

BigChocFrenzy Wed 29-Jul-15 22:16:26

That's fine. If you are full, never force yourself to eat.
< I'm amazed. Most of us find 1500 cals easy to eat for a main meal >

Your BMI is only 21.5, but check your waist is less than half your height as a first step, ideally under 31".

Plenty of friendly support on the main 52 thread currently 52Thread55

BatCrapCrazy Thu 30-Jul-15 06:35:15

Thanks so much for your help. I was measured for my wedding dress 2 weeks ago and I'm sure my waist was 29inches but I will check again today.

I have been lurking on that thread. So much good advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now