Talk

Advanced search

Vomiting and headache on the first day

(16 Posts)
winterwalks Thu 16-Apr-15 22:15:18

I did the jason vale juice fast a year ago and was fine.
On the first day of the 5 2 I had a bad headache and threw up all the apple, carrot and celery sticks I had for lunch.
Jason ' s juice for breakfast.
After a sweet cup of tea and a three hour sleep I was ok
Is it a coincidence and I had a bug.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 16-Apr-15 22:27:44

I've been doing 5:2 for nearly 2 years now, and frequent the main thread - I've never heard of people throwing up due to fasting. Headaches are not uncommon at first - can be associated with not drinking enough (because normally we get a lot of fluid from food) and/or not having caffeine if you usually do and/or needing a bit of something salty like marmite or miso (so I suppose there's a salts imbalance of some sort). Most people find what works for them and it settles down.

Curious what's in the 'Jasons juice'? It does occur that perhaps what you had was rather acidic. My norm is a couple of cups of tea with milk in the morning, sometimes a cup of miso at lunchtime, then dinner (mainly protein/veg)

Or it could have been an unfortunately timed bug.

winterwalks Thu 16-Apr-15 22:33:51

Errol

It was freshly juiced Apple, celery, carrot and beetroot
Then I had herbal teas and veg crudités.

Today I was fine.

I had oat smoothie - oat milk, one piece of frozen banana and berries.
Tea and milk.
Oatcakes
Bean salad with celery and tomatoes
2 olives

ErrolTheDragon Thu 16-Apr-15 22:40:41

That sounds like it would be kinder on your tum than the juice etc. Glad it went better today!

Come on over to the main thread - lots of support and advice there. smile

winterwalks Thu 16-Apr-15 22:54:42

Thank you errol
Will do

BigChocFrenzy Fri 17-Apr-15 07:10:26

When you are getting used to fasting, we recommend plenty of protein and veg, so you feel fuller for longer. Later on, a few folk do veg juice / smoothie fasts.
I'd avoid any pure fruit juice on FDs, or for breaking the fast on the next NFD, because of the acidity and also the higher GI - one of the aims of fasting is to keep insulin levels low for a day.

Surprised if it would cause actual D&V though - likely a bug.

BigChocFrenzy Fri 17-Apr-15 07:12:50

I do a green veg smoothie with almond milk. I'd swap some of the fruit for veg on FDs.

winterwalks Fri 17-Apr-15 21:41:03

Hi Big choc
Could you give me the recipe for the green veg smoothie.

winterwalks Fri 17-Apr-15 21:41:35

Also Big choc number of calories - many thanks

BigChocFrenzy Fri 17-Apr-15 22:44:38

I just posted "Healthy GF Vegan Green Smoothie" on the FD Recipes Thread
Also posted "Vegan GF Green Powder Shake" if you want prepared powder when lazy / no fresh ingredients
Plenty more great FD recipes there from many 5:2ers

BigChocFrenzy Fri 17-Apr-15 22:46:32

oops, FD Recipes Thread

HermiaDream Fri 17-Apr-15 22:49:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HermiaDream Fri 17-Apr-15 22:49:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GatoradeMeBitch Mon 20-Jul-15 00:27:09

Raw apple on an empty stomach makes me throw up, which may not have anything to do with your situation, but it is a 'thing' for some people - as Errol says, it may be too acidic.

TerrorAustralis Mon 20-Jul-15 05:21:13

Not sure if it's exactly comparable, but my mum used to fast for religious reasons, and she used to become quite ill and sometimes vomit. The difference being she didn't take any liquid or food at all.

I think part of it was caffeine withdrawal because she's a big tea drinker.

BigChocFrenzy Mon 20-Jul-15 20:50:05

Fruit on an emoty tum can cause vomiting. Fruit juice is even worse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now