Talk

Advanced search

Fasting night shift

(3 Posts)
scampbeast Sat 17-Jan-15 10:59:32

I am about to start the 5:2 and trying to work out my fasting day with my shift work and no matter how I work it I am going to end up fasting on a night shift at least once in the first few weeks. I think this is going to be difficult as I will be up at 7am to get son to school, sleeping between 1pm and 5pm, working overnight then sleeping the next day between 9:30 and 1pm due to split shifts.
I know the fasting day works out at 36 hours as it starts the evening before, but most people would spend the first and last chunk of hours sleeping.
Can anyone experienced with fasting give me some advice?

MazzleDazzle Sat 17-Jan-15 19:45:56

You will be surprised by how easy fasting is.

For most people:
- hunger is a mental rather than physical thing
- hunger passes
- drinking lots of fluids fills you up
- something salty (Bovril/soy sauce) prevents headaches when you're new to fasting

Many people, myself included, have fasted two days in a row before easily enough.

If I were you I'd eat nothing until 8am, before your 9:30am sleep. However, if that sounds impossible, why not start with a 1000 FD and spread it across 3 meals as and when? Some people find, though, that once they start to eat it's difficult to stop! Personally, I find it easier so not eat than to eat 3 small meals, but it's just a case of finding out what works for you.

Good luck!

And remember, there's no such thing as a fail: if your FD doesn't go as planned, you can always try something different the next time.

Secretsout Mon 26-Jan-15 14:53:21

I don't fast on the actual night but start just before the shift finishes (on your last night) In other words last meal around 5am (or earlier if you want), then go home and go to bed! wake around 3pm, loads of drinks, a soup around 7pm, go to bed 10pm then wake the next day as normal but I go to the gym in the morning so I don't eat until around 12-1pm. That's a good and very easy fast.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: