Talk

Advanced search

How many calories should I take if I do 16:8? (and any other info about it please)

(3 Posts)
Tiredemma Thu 11-Dec-14 20:18:17

I cant do the 5.2- I managed it for 16 weeks and lost 17lbs but I dont know what is wrong with my mindset- I just cannot get back into it- regardless of how much I am convincing myself that for me, it works.

Ive seen some references to '16:8'. I think I have grasped that the concept is to eat for just 8 hours out of the 24. How many calories though? and how many days a week do you do this?
also- most importantly--- Does it work??

BigChocFrenzy Thu 11-Dec-14 21:18:44

Hi, TiredEmma

Yes, 16:8 means eat within an 8-hour window and fast for 16 consecutive hours.
Almost everyone who loses weight needs a calorie deficit
( the exceptions are those for whom fasting clears up a metabolic problem or removes a trigger food)

Easiest method is just to cut out either breakfast or supper and do NOT eat bigger meals in those 8 hours to compensate.

For best results, do this every day
After 2 weeks, see if you have lost weight and tune your intake if need be.

If you find that you need to count calories:
To achieve a 3,000 cal weekly calorie deficit and hence about 1lb loss, you need to average about TDEE-430 cals per day

btw, once you get used to fasting on 16:8, you might find you can add FDs again. Many of us on 5:2 do 16:8 on NFDs.

Tiredemma Fri 12-Dec-14 10:01:31

Thanks BCF.

Ive gone for TDEE -25%? so calorie intake will be 1280 a day which is realistic I thunk. I will then see how I get on with trying to get back onto the 5.2 bus!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now