Talk

Advanced search

I can't be trusted on 5:2 so I started ADF . I'm nearing the end of week 3 and....

(19 Posts)
MagnificentMalificent Thu 21-Aug-14 08:36:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BigChocFrenzy Thu 21-Aug-14 09:42:32

Well done, magnificent on your weight loss and your energy levels.
flowers
ADF clearly suits you, so carry on to your goal.

Have you read the excellent ADF book by the pioneer DrJohnson
He details studies on possible health benefits of ADF, re heart and autoimmune diseases. He and many of his patients ADF permanently, for weight maintenance and health.

You can also post on the MainIF-Thread47
Many there are on 5:2, but others are doing 4:3, ADF, 16:8, Fast 5

Feenie Thu 21-Aug-14 09:53:24

What's ADF? Well done you!

MagnificentMalificent Thu 21-Aug-14 11:14:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cleanmachine Sun 31-Aug-14 21:47:57

Well done. I can't seem to even complete one 500 calorie fast at the moment. You've inspired me to keep trying.

icanmakeyouicecream Fri 19-Sep-14 15:16:08

Wow you're my inspiration!

InfinitySeven Thu 23-Oct-14 11:42:42

I am amazed. That is incredible.

I started this last week, but only really properly this week. Yesterday I just had tea, and today I'll have lunch and tea. Then tea again tomorrow.

If I see half of the results you've seen, I'll be estatic.

Well done!

TiredNow Thu 23-Oct-14 11:45:28

I have hurtled rather spectacularly fallen off the 5:2 wagon recently, stories like this inspire me to climb back on, well done!

VenusRising Thu 23-Oct-14 11:51:50

I think the phrase "you can eat what you like on a non fast day" really buggered me!

I was suddenly fantasising about shed loads of chocolate, whereas I don't have much to lose, but actually ate more rubbish when 5:2 ing.

I might try ADF as I want to reduce my waistline a bit, but not enough to have a diet iykwim. Maybe I'll get a hula hoop

What did you do Magnificent - we want details of your fast day, and your non fast day regimen!

minibmw2010 Mon 27-Oct-14 22:08:24

Please can you update on what you are eating on your fast days ??!?

Oooh yes pray tell what you eat on your fast days!

BigChocFrenzy Tue 28-Oct-14 13:14:21

FDs
Concentrate on veg and protein, with little or no starches, e.g. no sweets etc and avoid most cereals. Some people like a small potato though.
A portion of fruit is ok, but avoid fruit juice.
Drink lots of water.
Tea & coffee are fine, but include any sugar or milk cals

Especially good are soups, stirfries, vegan curries. See the RecipeThread for ideas, or ready soups & meals are fine.

Many folk save most of their cals for supper; others divide them between lunch & supper.
Avoid grazing or snacking between meals.

NFDs
Eat what you like, but not as much as you like.

Mosely calls it "normal" eating, but your "normal" may have made you overweight, so calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Requirement) This is the average cals you need for NFDs.
Many folk automatically eat sensibly and don't need to count cals; others need to train themselves via mfp for a few weeks until they learn the correct portion size for their body.

Thanks, BigChoc!

I'd heard of the 5:2 diet but didn't think it would be suitable whilst breast-feeding so never looked in to it. DD is self-weaning now, though, and I HAVE to do something, I'm 3 and 1/2 stone overweight and becoming the biggest I've ever been.

Off to do more research and watch the Horizon program (if it's still there on YT).

fourwoodenchairs Fri 31-Oct-14 13:36:48

Cripes! Well done you. You've just massively inspired me, thank you.

BigChocFrenzy Sat 01-Nov-14 00:28:54

BFers can do 5:2. Most start FDs at 700-1000 cals and then reduce gradually to 500-700, in their own time.
Some folk have tandem fed without problem

Dresden123 Tue 04-Nov-14 06:35:22

What is M.f.p.?

ErnesttheBavarian Tue 04-Nov-14 06:54:54

My fitness Pal app.

Well done OP. I did 5:2 at the start of the year, lost a chunk, lost my way and have put half back on. I really want to get going again.

You said your bmi, would you care to say your actual weights? (please) I need inspiration. You have got me interested.

lavendersun Tue 04-Nov-14 08:16:24

I am going to try this today - never been on a diet before - well I tried a low calorie shake the other week and thought it was disgusting.

I love cooking, love nice food, food is my extravagance or one of them. I bought the 5:2 book and hairy dieters cook book last week, there is a minestrone soup recipe in it with only about 86 calories a portion (have no idea of calorie values so find this helpful). I could technically eat a whole pot of that a day on a fast day as it serves four (and have a bit of parmesan cheese on it).

I will be making soup when I get back from my dog walk this morning and hope I can summon enough willpower to stick to it as I am working from home which bores me at times!

BigChocFrenzy Fri 07-Nov-14 10:17:19

For anyone who is starting IF / 5:2, we have a new main Thread48
Come join us for friendly support & advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now