Talk

Advanced search

Can you set MFP for 5:2??

(6 Posts)
runningLou Wed 19-Mar-14 07:59:59

Just started using My Fitness Pal this week to track calories. When I signed up I said I wanted to lose 2lbs a week so it set me a daily target of 1200 cals. That means on NFDs I would be over, and FDs it'll tell me I'm starving myself.
Is there any way to set it for different totals on different days? Or, is 1200 cals the way to go??

Helliecopter Wed 19-Mar-14 08:01:54

If there is I' haven't found it, and would like to know too!

plecofjustice Wed 19-Mar-14 08:15:38

You need to set MFP for maintenance. The 5:2 deficit should be enough for weightloss, without starving. The thing you can't change is MFP moaning at you for being under calories on FD's.

MelanieCheeks Wed 19-Mar-14 09:00:22

Agree - I have mine set for maintenance (which is your TDEE)

I use it to record the 500 cal days, but I never press the "close diary" button so I dont get the warning message.

runningLou Wed 19-Mar-14 11:36:28

Great tips - thank you!
Does anyone know if you achieve more effective weight loss by also cutting carbs on FDs?
Helliecopter I have tried to add you as an MFP friend but not sure if it worked!!

plecofjustice Wed 19-Mar-14 11:54:26

Carbs are quite calorie dense, so you don't get as many of them for your calories than you do other food groups. Also, high GI carbs just make you hungrier.

I tend to make substitutions for carbs on FD's, just to get more food for my calories. For example, courgette noodles (36 cal) instead of pasta (100+)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now