Talk

Advanced search

Why do I feel so shit?

(20 Posts)
midnightagents Mon 10-Mar-14 21:01:02

I have been attempting the 500 (ish) cals, and just generally eating less and healthier, but my body is protesting way too much. I keep going into a sort of daze, having 0 energy and getting chest pains/ tingly sensations. This is probably due to anxiety as I often get this and it has been in the past, but the cutting calories is definitely amplifying it!

I haven't been starving myself so i just dont understand why i feel so shit. Today was 1 slice of whole meal toast and a little butter, half a tin of healthy 3 bean soup and cous cous with toms, tuna & broccoli. As well as 3 crackers, lots of water and green tea. Yesterday was an avocado, coleslaw sandwich and small portion of rice & veg sausage casserole. Day before carrot and coriander soup with 1 slice bread and small portion spag bol. You get the jist... Not starving, just cutting cals. But I feel so vague and out of it, is this normal?!

I'm not over weight but have an unhealthy diet so wanted to get healthier. Not worth it of I feel so shit sad

Would love some advice, sorry if this is long!

QueenofLouisiana Mon 10-Mar-14 21:21:26

Have you suddenly dropped your sugar or caffeine intake? If you have, that would explain feeling rough.

I was amazed I didn't feel tired today, but quite pleased. I feel a bit spacey now-ready for bed I think!

midnightagents Mon 10-Mar-14 21:36:46

Hmm, I'm not a huge sugar eater normally- but I guess all food has sugar in it some capacity so by reducing calories im probably inadvertently reducing sugar in take. Not caffeine though, I don't normally much.

Is today your first day fasting too? I wish I could go to bed. My dd is still not sleeping grr... So tempted to reach for the crackers!

QueenofLouisiana Mon 10-Mar-14 21:41:49

Yep, my first day. I am ready to go to bed- it's further away from the kitchen!

midnightagents Mon 10-Mar-14 22:06:33

Good luck!

Well I've blown it now. Cheese & crackers and dd's left over pizza! Oh well, scared myself about it being bad for my heart anyway, think will just stick to low cal every day rather than fasting, seems im not cut out for it.

Mintyy Mon 10-Mar-14 22:09:21

I don't understand. Which of the past 3 days has been your fast day? How many calories are you eating on non fast days?

Boleh Tue 11-Mar-14 13:46:35

Yes, I 2nd Minty I'm confused too, all those days seem very low calorie. You only fast 2 days out of 5, usually not consecutive - then eat up to your TDEE on the other days. Don't 'diet' or try to go low cal on your non-fast days, you need a good contrast between those and your fast days and to get plenty of good nutrients in. If you are used to permanently dieting your TDEE can actually feel like a lot of food!
Try having a read of the start of the main thread and the links in it.

midnightagents Tue 11-Mar-14 14:22:24

Sorry didn't make it clear. I have attempted the fast day, not made it, so tried again the next day. Each day I attempt I have to give in in the evening because of all the symptoms I describe, makes me feel im going to have a heart attack if I don't eat more, so haven't had a 500 cal day yet.

MelanieCheeks Tue 11-Mar-14 14:32:59

Ah, I've seen advice on this one before.

If you've had a failed fast day, give yourself a normal eating day before attempting again.

midnightagents Tue 11-Mar-14 14:34:20

Ah ok thanks smile makes sense. Im into the low cal now so I think maybe trying for 1,000 cals a day for a few weeks will be as good?

CiderwithBuda Tue 11-Mar-14 14:38:28

And try protein rather than carbs. I've struggled with some fast days (gave up completely yesterday as was just too hungry) but find that if I am hungry and I just have protein I feel much better. This morning I had a couple of slices of ham. Last week I had two hard boiled eggs.

You seem to have had lots of carbs without protein which will be raising your blood sugar really quickly and then it drops again just as quickly leaving you shaking and weak.

Boleh Tue 11-Mar-14 14:53:01

midnight I'm not a medical doctor but I think 1000 cals a day risks putting your body into the dreaded 'starvation mode' in which it hangs on to every calorie it can. I believe this is why MFP never sets a target below 1200 and normal advice is to eat 500 cals below your TDEE per day.

If you have a fast day that's a bit over your target on 5:2 people usually consider it a 'mini fast' eat normally the next day or two before having another FD. Lots of people struggle with 500 cals at 1st, would 800 be more sensible for you? You could start there and decrease gradually as your body adjusts. You sound like you have done 3 very low cal days in a row which would be tough on anyone!

I can't advise at all on why you are feeling so grotty I'm afraid but the key thing for me is water - you get a lot of water from your food so I drink loads to replace it. Dehydration could certainly cause headaches and lightheadedness but chest pains and tingling sound more worrying.

If trying to stick so strictly to calories is increasing your anxiety and triggering these symptoms have you thought about an entirely different diet plan? Something like slimming world that doesn't involve counting calories? I love 5:2 hence giving the suggestions above but it may not be the one for you.

I think the main thread is at number 40 now, it had lots of helpful info and helpful posters!

midnightagents Tue 11-Mar-14 14:54:07

Yeah that's a good tip thanks! It's hard being a vegetarian to find protein snacks, I know there's nuts but they're high cal and fat. Might try a lentil soup at some point.

midnightagents Tue 11-Mar-14 14:55:21

Oops should say pescatarian as I eat fish, but I always say vegetarian cus noone outside of mumsnet seems to know/care about the difference!

MelanieCheeks Tue 11-Mar-14 15:04:58

Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, eggs, epsecially egg white?

Boleh Tue 11-Mar-14 15:29:31

Yep, I'm a pescitarian too, makes things more challenging but not impossible. My default always used to be tinned tuna on or in things as it was easy! Then started throwing prawns or handfuls of cashews into things like stir fries or pasta sauces, am currently having a lentil and beans phase! Eggs are also good and a hot poached egg massively improves salads in my view :-)
I find that the advantage if 5:2 is that on NFDs I have enough calories to eat things like nuts, seeds, cheese and yoghurt that have fairly high calories but also lots of other useful nutrients, protein and good fats. My FDs tend to be lots of veggies and lentils!

TravelinColour Tue 11-Mar-14 15:31:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TalkinPeace Tue 11-Mar-14 21:28:06

"starvation mode" does not exist

but yes, OP
you need to have a day off after a failed fast day as your body is not yeady for it
and go low carb / no carb on fast days
LOADS of protein and piles of veg is the best

Helliecopter Tue 11-Mar-14 22:16:15

Don't be scared of nuts. They are full of good fats and protein and other goodies.

Sorry you're feeling crappy - it's not sustainable to keep eating like that and you won't stick with it if it's making you feel shit. That's why 5:2 is great for so many people because it allows some semblance of normality most of the time.

If you want to give 5:2 a proper go, plan your first couple of fast days really carefully so you get maximum volume of food and plenty of nutrients for you calories. Also try different ways of spreading your cals too. Some people don't eat breakfast, some have 3 meals and snacks. Different ways work for different people and lifestyles. I'm a relative newbie to all this (5 FDs done) but I've realised that I feel capable of different FDs - my first one I ate 3 meals, my second I didn't eat all day until teatime.

I've eaten low cal for a few months and it's bloody hard to sustain. You shouldn't really go below 1200 a day (so they say) for any length of time. That's why we like 5:2. When you aren't fasting you're eating much more (still with a limit - that's where the TDEE comes in) and being aware of what you're eating.

If you're not doing it to lose weight, then you should definitely be eating your full calorie allowance (or even slightly over) on non-fasting days.

There are wiser folk than me here who can advise, but do it properly and stick with it, and I'm sure the shittyness will change to fabulousness!

Southeastdweller Tue 11-Mar-14 22:49:24

Nuts are one of the best foods there is - pure, full of protein, fibre and good fats. No need to be afraid of them because of their high calorie content, just don't go crazy.

nuts

I'm also a pescetarian and when fasting when I'm home I usually do what TiP suggests and have a pile of veg with protein.

If you must snack then pre-wrapped individual portions of cheese are good. I like the ones from M&S but usually add them to my meal rather than having them as snacks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now