Talk

Advanced search

Anybody just not eat at all on a fast day until evening meal but then go over 500 cals?

(9 Posts)
popgoestheweezel Mon 10-Mar-14 19:09:40

Last summer I was half a stone above my preferred weight so I flirted with IF, found it fairly easy and lost a few pounds. But unfortunately, a few life stresses came along and emotional eating + no exercise has resulted in 1.5 stone now to lose to get back down to my preferred weight- boo hiss!
Last time though, I found it very easy to not eat at all during the day and then just spend my 500 calls on the evening meal. So, I don't eat anything at all for about 20/21 hours. But, I know that I can't really be bothered with working out exactly how many calories are in my meal, I know it is fairly light, but I guess it might be more like 600 cals. How important is it to stick rigidly to the 500 cals? Is there a benefit to a total daytime fast which might outweigh slightly going over 500 calls in the evening?

Megrim Tue 11-Mar-14 12:17:12

I generally manage about 550 or 575 cals on an FD, although I also try and walk about 8 to 10 miles on an FD too, which generally burns around 600 or 700 calories. I drink tea, Marigold bouillon and fizzy water during the day, maybe with a skinny latte as a treat at the end if my walk, which generally accounts for around 120 cals and then the rest goes on my evening meal. So far, the extra 50 or 75 cals isn't having a negative effect, and I am still losing on average 1.5 to 2lbs a week. I am being reasonably careful on NFDs, and am averaging a daily calorie burn of around 2400 per day.

zeldamelda Tue 11-Mar-14 19:14:23

I do this too! I've been 5:2ing since start of December and lost around 1lb a week or nothing some weeks, but not gained (yet). I started really carefully, making sure I didn't go over 500 all day. Now I just have nothing all day which I find easy, then normal dinner which is usually healthy, but I've no idea of exact cals.

I'd be really interested to hear how others have got on with doing this. I'm sure my weight loss would be accelerated if I was more rigid on FDs.

TalkinPeace Tue 11-Mar-14 21:25:52

I do not eat in the day and then try to keep my supper below about 800 calories normally
I often only have a 400 calorie lunch
I "bank" my calories for the weekend
it works

"normal dinner which is usually healthy"
its only healthy if its below your TDEE - have you checked?

zeldamelda Wed 12-Mar-14 07:38:44

are you talking about what you do on FDs talkinpeace or just how you eat every day? on NFDs I eat at or below my TDEE (using mfp). on FDs I don't eat until dinner and yes I know it's healthy e.gs falafels and salad, homemade cracker crust pizza, ham and eggs etc. but I don't count the cals so probably not always under 500.

jainscakes76 Wed 12-Mar-14 15:26:18

Definitely the easiest way to do it, just drink plenty and have something hot (more comforting) like a herbal tea when the meal time hunger pangs strike. I find that I only feel hungry at my normal mealtimes, not all through the day. The unexpected benefit of doing this is how much extra time there is in the day when you miss out the minutes it normally takes to prepare, eat and clear away after breakfast and lunch!

PrimalLass Wed 12-Mar-14 15:49:43

I probably have more like 600 by the time I count all the milk for my coffees.

PrimalLass Wed 12-Mar-14 15:51:40

The unexpected benefit of doing this is how much extra time there is in the day when you miss out the minutes it normally takes to prepare, eat and clear away after breakfast and lunch.

I love that I don't have to pack a lunch for the days I go into the office.

TalkinPeace Wed 12-Mar-14 20:23:12

I never eat breakfast and I eat very little lunch even on nfd
my tdee on work days is only 1500 ish though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now