Talk

Advanced search

Can you follow the 5:2 diet whilst breastfeeding?

(4 Posts)
mostlyconfused Thu 06-Mar-14 22:33:31

I plan on breastfeeding my DS but also want to lose weight ASAP. Can I follow this diet safely if I am breastfeeding ?

BigChocFrenzy Thu 06-Mar-14 22:54:17

Yes, but have 1000 cals on FDs, instead of 500. Some BFers gradually reduce to 750

Join us on the main Thread40
smile
Do read the OP, very useful info.

MetellaEstMater Thu 06-Mar-14 23:46:31

I'm currently breastfeeding DD2 who is eight weeks and have done two weeks of 5:2, so four fast days so far. I'm finding it great but the day after fast day two I did notice DD was fussing during her first feed of the day so wondered whether my supply had been effected.

DD has a bottle of formula a few times a week to get her used to it (DD1 was a bottle refuser so don't want that situation again for various reasons!), so I do one FD at 1000 calories and one at 750. I spoke to my GP at the six week check and he is a 5:2er for the health benefits do very supportive. It's a huge help to me that DH also fasts, no weight to lose but he finds it energising!

MetellaEstMater Thu 06-Mar-14 23:49:59

Should have said - on the FD which was followed by DD fussing at her feed is stupidly oy had circa 600 cals. Definitely not enough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now