Talk

Advanced search

New Copper Coil?

(6 Posts)
sassafrassj Thu 30-May-19 20:02:30

I'm nearly at the end of the life of my copper coil that was placed shortly after my last child was born. We were living in the US then and it was placed by the obstetrician.

I have a choice about where to try and have it replaced, as we happen to have health insurance that will cover it, but I could also get one via the NHS. WWYD? It seems like the kind of thing you want to have done by someone who does it all the time, which seems more likely to be someone who does them on the NHS since how many people in London would get them privately placed? Where do such things get done normally on the NHS? I'm in SW London. Thanks!

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Mon 10-Jun-19 21:26:39

Look for a family planning clinic. If you have a NHS GP surgery they might do them but you could ask them where you could have one fitted. Mine was done by a GP who has an interest and fitting was fine.

zinrepus Thu 13-Jun-19 15:06:14

My hormonal IUD was installed in the US on private insurance, now have a copper coil that's NHS placed. My GP has nobody who is qualified to do that, so they posted me my coil and referred me to a clinic (I'm in a university town, so any walk-up services for coils would be reserved for under 25's).

There was a bit of a delay before getting it put in, but the doc did a fab job. I think the main difference would be timing. How much of a rush are you in to get it "installed"?

Nikki2ol6 Sun 23-Jun-19 09:33:12

I went to a family planning clinic for mine, I live further up the country but it’s all the same.

jackparlabane Sun 23-Jun-19 09:45:17

The NHS family planning services are very oversubscribed - in my borough you have to book coil appts online at noon on a certain weekday, as they run out by five past.
I would guess that the nurse doing it privately would be the same NHS nurse doing extra hours - worth asking.

CmdrCressidaDuck Sun 23-Jun-19 09:47:58

Marie Stopes clinics do them privately and fairly cheaply, and would be very experienced. In general private and NHS services are delivered by the same doctors and practitioners, it's just a case of how you access them. Depending on the area NHS family planning clinics can be quite oversubscribed as PP have said.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »