Talk

Advanced search

Has Levonelle worked? So worried

(29 Posts)
Violetsugar Tue 07-May-19 21:33:12

Hi all
I’m new here but really wanted second opinions on the issue I’m having.
Partner and I had a burst condom incident the day after my last period ended. The next day I went and got levonelle (it was within 24 hours from the incident).

6 days later I began to bleed, like a period but it only lasted 3 and half days and although started out more like a normal period it trailed off to light bleeding/spotting.
I don’t know if this was my “real period” or not?

Anyway my period is now overdue by 5 days (Counting from my original last period, not the other “period” that happened since taking the pill). I am panicking like mad!

I took a pregnancy test at 2 days overdue - it was negative. (Used first wee of day)

But still no period! What’s more my breasts are sore as hell! I normally can get sore boobs before my period but this month they seem worse. I’m feeling incredibly hormonal and weepy.
I’m also feeling at times a little dizzy and potentially nauseas like early pregnancy, but I don’t know if I’m just imagining this because I’m paranoid (as when I’m busy or distracted I tend to not feel this so much).

Has anyone had a levonelle failure?
Did the bleed I had mid-cycle mess up my cycle and make my period late? Do these bleeds indicate levonelle was successful? Was that short period my actual period?
Ah I’m going crazy with worry.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

lemonjumper Tue 14-May-19 16:09:59

Levonelle works by delaying ovulation, so it's not unusual for periods to be delayed as well. I believe the guidance is to take a pregnancy test if your period is more than 5 days late, so it might wise to test again in a day or two just to be sure?

lemonjumper Tue 14-May-19 16:12:00

Oh, I've just realised you posted this a week ago! I guess you'll have an answer by now grin

CarolDanvers Tue 14-May-19 16:14:17

Yes it failed for me and I ended up with an ectopic pregnancy. There's some research indicating that the MAP can slightly increase the risk of an ectopic pregnancy. I would see a doctor ASAP if I were you.

GummyGoddess Tue 14-May-19 16:17:52

I hope you got the answer you wanted, my Levonelle baby is one this month. I think Ella One had a higher success rate for future reference.

Violetsugar Wed 15-May-19 06:35:05

Thank you for replying everyone.

I still don’t have my period but I tested again yesterday and negative again.

I’m thinking (hoping) my cycle has just been thrown out because of the Levonelle?

GummyGoddess Wed 15-May-19 12:55:10

I would make an appointment, that's a long time to be late and not pregnant. If you don't want to be pregnant it's obviously best to find out asap, though if you do you also need time to work through how you feel about it.

Violetsugar Wed 15-May-19 22:46:52

Weirdly the pregnancy “symptoms” I was feeling kinda disappeared after I got that negative result, and I felt fine all day today. I wonder now if I did just feel sick because I was nervous. Still no period though so I think I’m going to see a doctor before the end of the week

GummyGoddess Sat 18-May-19 13:24:41

Did you see a doctor?

Violetsugar Sat 18-May-19 15:00:08

I’ve been unable to get in at my gp yet. They are near impossible to get an appointment. I’ve bought ANOTHER test to do tomorrow morning. Still no period, sore boobs, but no other pregnancy symptoms.

Violetsugar Sun 19-May-19 11:24:26

Tested again this morning. Negative AGAIN.
I’m starting to think I’m probably not pregnant after 3 negatives.

Violetsugar Sun 19-May-19 20:54:02

Sorry to keep bumping this but I’m curious if anyone has had repeated negatives and still been pregnant? I can’t help worrying as my period hasn’t come yet. I have terrible anxiety (in general) and perhaps I’m over-thinking all this?
I’m still going to see my doctor when i can.

GummyGoddess Mon 20-May-19 13:44:25

Bumping, and what tests are you using? I know a friend was late but then her period eventually showed up. I don't know anyone who got so many negatives and ended up being pregnant though.

Tattletale Mon 20-May-19 13:46:42

Sounds trite but if you are anxious it's probably delaying things as well. You are quite late now, so I would have expected a positive pregnancy test by now if you were pregnant.

JaniceJoplin Mon 20-May-19 13:47:17

My Levonelle failure is now 3 watching Gigglebiz.

ineedanewjobplease Mon 20-May-19 14:02:17

@Violetsugar I can't be certain, but I remember taking Levonelle years ago and I'm almost certain that I skipped a period completely! Made for weeks of worrying but all ok in the end smile

Violetsugar Mon 20-May-19 16:28:35

Thanks for the replies all.
The tests I’ve used were - first response, superdrug, and one from my local pharmacy (can’t remember the brand)

I have my doctors appointment shortly

Violetsugar Mon 20-May-19 17:31:31

Ok so now I’ve been referred for a blood test...
thank you for your support everyone.
For a bit of context, I already have a wonderful 5 year old child, but for various reasons absolutely do not want another pregnancy right now. Losing a lot of sleep over it but hopefully it will be resolved soon

DrCoconut Mon 20-May-19 17:50:36

I'm just about to collect my lovely levonelle failure from nursery but I think it works far more often than not?

Violetsugar Tue 21-May-19 21:12:15

Thing is they didn’t seem to really want to give me the blood test at the docs, but gave me a form at my request. I don’t even know when I’ll find time to go to the hospital for it done.
I’m starting to wonder if I imagined the nausea due to anxiety as I’ve not felt nauseas at all the past few days. Breasts still sore though.

Violetsugar Wed 22-May-19 21:24:00

I’ve done another urine test today which was also negative.
That makes 4 negatives now.
I’m wondering if I should just chalk it up to anxiety after all? I’ve had a rough month in general, but I don’t normally miss periods due to stress.

Rottielottie Wed 22-May-19 21:31:16

I think if you’re this late and you’ve done an FRER, you’re not pregnant. Obviously it’s not impossible but I really would doubt you are as FRERs are so sensitive.
I would imagine the bleeding you had was actually your period- if it reassures you, i took Levonelle a few months ago and my period started a few days after and was also light. Not as light as yours by the sound of it but definitely light for me!
Hope this reassures you a bit! Hope you get an answer soon

Violetsugar Wed 22-May-19 22:10:18

Thank you. The first response test I did was just a regular one I think, not early response.
What’s weirding me out is that even if the bleed I had was my period my next period, counting from then, is still over a week late.

IrregularCommentary Wed 22-May-19 22:33:41

Levonelle messed with my cycle for a good 6 weeks. Likelihood is you're fine.

lemonjumper Thu 23-May-19 18:07:24

Did you managed to get the blood test done yet? It does just sound like your cycle has been well and truly messed up, but the blood test would put your mind at ease I'm sure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »