Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Natural Cycles - How many Red days?

(13 Posts)
TheresALight Tue 01-May-18 17:50:39

I've been thinking of getting the Natural Cycles app but have read on their FAQ that the average user will have 10 red days a month.

I'm unlikely to want to dtd on period days this would add another 4 or 5 days of no sex per month, so I'm now wondering if the app is worth the subscription cost and the effort of temping everyday?

Anyone who is already using the app, could you please let me know how many red days you're averaging a month?

user2929 Tue 01-May-18 18:20:42

Here's my April and May

scaevola Tue 01-May-18 18:29:03

You don't need an app for NFP, but you do need to make sure you understand the method thoroughly, and chart reliably, using temperature per rectum before you get out of bed of a morning. And have several months also using a barrier method, until you are sure you understand your cycle. The app is just swopping pencil and paper temp graphs for an online version.

You need to combine at least two methods - temperature and mucus, plus any other regular symptoms you know you get. And it is safer if you restrict to post-ovulatory only.

You could try full Billings method, but that advises against condoms on days you're not sure about (recommending abstinence) as you have to really know your mucus for that one.

TheresALight Tue 01-May-18 18:33:18

Thank you for the replies. I'm thinking that as I'd need to use a barrier method for the red days I might as well ditch the app and just use barrier methods at all times!

furtile Wed 23-May-18 11:04:42

I get about 10 red days a month so plus 5 days of period basically half the month is green and period free. I think that’s great! we have no problem using condoms on red days, but it is nice to have some days without smile
If you want to sign up, here’s a discount link that will make your first year cheaper: www.naturalcycles.com/en/signup/secret?code=referralid30&referral=67dd635dd95743059e65c92c1084b759

Fink Wed 23-May-18 11:15:42

I used to use NFP but not the app. I had only about 4 'safe' days per month without bleeding, but I have unusually long periods and was cautious about pre-ovulation days. I could probably have pushed it up to 6-7 days reasonably safely.

mone33 Thu 19-Jul-18 17:06:28

I have been using the app for a couple of months now and love it!!! I have gotten to know my cycle and my body a lot better.
If anyone is interested in trying it, here is a 10% discount for the first year subscription including a free thermometer:
app.naturalcycles.com/?webSignup=1&refId=ocd5sdlseahzxa0d&refCode=referralid10#/reg-reg

UneViedAmour Sat 21-Jul-18 00:44:04

It depends on your cycle. My ovulation has varied from anytime between Day 11 to Day 18, so it’s red days 5 days prior to the earliest recorded ovulation I noticed. In my case this means 5 green days during period, followed by red days straight after until such time the ovulation is detected. TBH I like this approach as you are only really safe post ovulation. While ovulation can and does vary depending on lots of factors, one can’t count days and presume when in the cycle it happens. So personally I use the app as the ovulation detector and only treat days as safe past that point. For me the time between period and ovulation is too dodgy and I just can’t relax. Saying that, 10-12 green days excluding period is not bad given I am HC free, don’t struggle with my weight or moods anymore. Short of sterilisation, this is the best you gonna get while fertile (and even sterilisation has got its problems)

ram87 Sun 05-Aug-18 17:00:39

20% discount on natural cycles if anyone is interested in trying, use this link www.naturalcycles.com/en/signup/secret?code=referralid20&referral=5c815bd38a5d464085f92608416d508a

Somethingaboutlilo Sat 11-Aug-18 16:50:42

I used to work in a sexual health clinic and they run a NFP clinic which is free of charge. Why don’t you make some inquiries locally? If you have a professional guiding you it might be better. X

Fallennova Sat 11-Aug-18 16:58:01

I have been using NC for over a year now and honestly it depends on how often you input your temperature data into the app.

I've had really good months whereby I have measured almost every day and I had 17 days green then bad months and I had 9 green days.

I personally believe the good outweighs the bad, you can still dtd on red days but use condoms.

I recommend following them on social media as they are very good at answering questions and concerns on there.

Good luck!

rdh85 Sun 02-Sep-18 22:30:10

I’ve been using natural cycles for over a year with no mishaps and we’ve just changed to planning a pregnancy. I highly recommend it! It’s empowering knowing more about your body!

Here is a 30% discount code with free thermometer.

www.naturalcycles.com/en/signup/secret?code=referralid30&referral=82ab811501f24ef6af303920078eb7b1

Findlay6 Mon 17-Sep-18 18:02:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: