Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any way to delay my period

(7 Posts)
Cottoneyed12 Mon 12-Mar-18 20:38:46

I have the copper coil and have 26 day cycles. Period has just arrived and lasts anywhere from 8-13 days with 2-3 extremely heavy days which can often result in leakage if I’m not very proactive and careful.

I am due to go on holiday in 26 days and so my period will be there on holiday and will limit a lot of what I can do particularly on my extremely heavy days.

Thinking of getting it removed soon tbh as it’s so draining but in the mean time can I delay my period?

If I go to GP could they prescribe a pill to help? If not could I have the coil removed which would obviously not delay my period but would it return to a normal period straight away?

I could live with my old period on holiday but my current coil periods will effect it very negatively.

Thanks for any advice.

Btw I have had it now for 13 months so don’t think it’s going to change. I put up with it but the thought of being so limited for the full during of my holiday makes it almost unbearable.

Also I have migraines with aura and believe there are certain pills I’m unable to take as a result.

Bluntness100 Mon 12-Mar-18 20:41:14

Yes, sure, utovlan or Norethisterone. Order on line from boots, three a day, three days before your period and it delays it.

Cottoneyed12 Mon 12-Mar-18 20:42:59

Wow thank you. How long does it delay for?

Honey2468 Tue 13-Mar-18 00:02:51

I bled continuously for the whole time I had the coil in. But the bleeding cleared up within a few hours of having it out. I think because there are no hormones to get out of your system you would be back to normal fairly qick if you had it out, or I was anyways

Hogtini Tue 13-Mar-18 00:06:00

Agree - Utovlan or Norethisterone. It delays it for as long as you take it and iirc period comes a couple/few days after stopping. I've used it a few times and it's been very effective.

Hogtini Tue 13-Mar-18 00:06:15

GP or order online.

Bluntness100 Tue 13-Mar-18 04:24:59

I think they recommend up to twenty days delay every time you use it.

I only take two tablets a day, I found I didn't need three. However as I'm 49 my hormones may be weaker. Your period comes three days after you stop and for me it is very exact. Using them now as on a work trip, I just always keep a stock.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: