Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ellaone and mini pill

(5 Posts)
Flutterbyx303 Tue 06-Feb-18 19:24:39

Hi,
I am on Cerazette and have been on it for about four months now. I have always taken it regularly and well within the twelve hour window they give you.

My periods are generally normal however the past couple of months I have been getting two periods a month, two weeks apart.

I accidentally took my pill 12.5 hours late last Tuesday (so half an hour outside the window). I then had sex that night without a condom, and took the pill again at the regular time (normally about 11pm). I suddenly panicked and realised I had unprotected sex so I ordered ellaone the emergency pill that can be taken up to 120 hours after sex. I took it that Friday so within the 120 hour time frame.

I continued taking my pill as normal between that Tuesday and Friday and immediately after taking ellaone and I am still on it. I only just found out yesterday that I if you take the mini pill after ellaone it prevents ellaone working properly and you are supposed to use condoms for 9 days! I didn't do this and I had sex on Saturday night and Sunday night!

I am now really really worried I am pregnant because my period hasn't come on. My last one stated 27th January however I did get about three days of bleeding (more than just spotting I would say) starting 8-12th January. I am not sure if I should count this as day one of my cycle this month or not? If so I am only two days late on my period this month and they are normally a few days late (i.e. More like 30 day cycle than 28).

If I am at the end if my cycle it is a bit more reassuring because I know you are less likely to get pregnant at the end.

I have no sure way of knowing what part of my cycle I am in, I have been getting stomach cramps all day but thy could be due to ovulation which if we are saying my mid cycle bleeding wasn't a period, ovulation would be about now.

I am not sure what to do, I am not going to have sex with my boyfriend until Sunday as that is 9 days after ellaone. I really hope I come on my period soon. I would take another ellaone to protect myself from the sex I had at the weekend but I know I can't have two ellaones in the same cycle, plus I think all the birth controls I have been taking might affect it.

I am so worried, I have done three pregnancy tests and all negative, I even did a clearblue ovulation test to see if I am ovulating to give me an idea of where in my cycle I am and they came back negative.

I am thinking of holding off sex until right at the end of the week, testing every other day and including Monday next week. The thing is, if my period was due in the past few days, surely a pregnancy test would pick up something if I take it up to the end of this week as that is basically one week after my period was due.

I have heard you should also test up to 21 days after unprotected sex too.

I just need some advice and reassurance. In hindsight I really regret taking ellaone as I was only half an hour late taking my pill.

Does ellaone really affect the mini pill???

KRx13 Thu 08-Feb-18 12:59:55

I took ellaone in the middle of my cycle and read that it could make your period early but I ended up being 10 days late for my period (so I didn't bleed for over 3 weeks after taking the ellaone pill).
Not sure about the mini pill though, I wasn't taking any BC pills at the time.
Also not to panic you but during the 10 days after my period was due I did a few tests and one showed a faint positive but all the rest were negative! Hopefully you are ok but definitely be careful until you finish your period! Gone back on the combined pill now - I never want to take ellaone again!! x

Flutterbyx303 Thu 08-Feb-18 14:44:32

Didn't you end up being pregnant? I am avoiding sex until 9 days after taking ellaone so that is Sunday night. I should be ok to have sex then regardless of if I get and finish my period? I still haven't come on but because I had a little 3 day bleed after two weeks into my cycle last month I am not sure what to count as day one, that or the previous period?

I put this on another thread and someone replied saying it's unlikely I ovulated on the weekend after the Friday I took ellaone so the sex I had that weekend should be ok. That is the sex I am worried about.. I will keep testing then if I am still negative two weeks after the sex last weekend I should be ok. Will probably test one week after that too just to be sure but I might be stopping my periods anyway now due to cerazette stopping ovulation.

Strange though as I am getting cramps, I'm taking parsley tea to try and stimulate the flow!!

KRx13 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:24:55

Nope I just think one of the tests was faulty.
Ellaone is supposed to prevent or just delay ovulation by 5 days so the other commenter is probably right, but with the 'cycle apps' they keep advertising I've learnt that sperm can live for upto 5 days so there is a risk if you had sex after you took ellaone and did ovulate 5 days later, but chances of that seem rare!!!
Personally hated the mini pill for this type of reason as it was so random with bleeds and it meant I couldn't tell what was actually a period and what was just bleeding from the hormones - the whole thing of some people never bleeding at all scares me !!

But anyway you're following the right instructions by waiting til Sunday now - and it's right to test 2-3 weeks after last weekend as it can take that long for pregnancy hormones to show, a week after sex is quite early. No guarantee that you didn't get pregnant from the 2 days after you took ellaone but as you know there shouldn't be any chance of getting pregnant after this Sunday - obviously if you are really worried speak to your dr but this is just from my own experience and what I learnt - hope this is some kind of help !!

Flutterbyx303 Fri 09-Feb-18 09:39:54

Just to update I came on my period today! So happy does this mean I am not pregnant?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now