Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Emergency contraception need advice

(10 Posts)
canderella Fri 02-Feb-18 22:43:10

I had the copper coil inserted a month ago for emergency and recently had the copper coil removed two weeks ago due to constant bleeding and discomfort (after my period). My partner and I stupidly had unprotected sex on Sunday and the condom split in Tuesday so I took Ella one on Wednesday. I went to have another coil put in but the clinic aren't happy because they said "we can't keep putting them in and out" please don't judge me I am so sick with anxiety I don't know what to do. Go ahead with the coil or take a chance with the Ella. I want the coil for extra safety but the clinics attitude has put me off. Please help

OnionAndGarlic Fri 02-Feb-18 23:08:55

What about renting a different form of contraception? The pill or an implant for example?

OnionAndGarlic Fri 02-Feb-18 23:09:07

Trying*

canderella Fri 02-Feb-18 23:35:12

I 100% plan on doing so but I need emergency cover until then hence why I don't know whether to try copper coil again

idontlikealdi Fri 02-Feb-18 23:38:03

If you took Ella on Wednesday I think you just have to hope it worked.

FissionChips Fri 02-Feb-18 23:41:01

I’d get the coil fitted just to make sure. Have you thought of trying the implant after?

canderella Sat 03-Feb-18 00:06:19

I have thought of getting the depo injection and see how that goes. I just really can't take any chances getting pregnant. I know I just had one out but we had an accident and I'm terrified. My dad has cancer and my mum recently died my stress levels are through the roof. The only thing putting me off a repeat coil is the attitude from the clinic. Supposed to take arthrotec tonight but really unsure

Honey2468 Sat 03-Feb-18 09:59:57

Morning after pills are pretty effective (obv there are no guarantees with anything) but the coil is supposed to be in for at least five years. If you had a bad experience last time and you know it is just being put in to be removed then I wouldn’t put yourself through it. You will be miserable and it is a waste of resources. It’s unlikely you will have a very different experience so quickly after the last one either. Have you spoken to the clinic about just getting the injection now instead? It’s effective after a week so leaves you very little time to have an accident. You have been responsible and taken the morning after pill this time, taking a chance would be having unprotected sex and doing nothing. I hope this helps and I hope the clinic can find you something which suits you!

canderella Sat 03-Feb-18 13:35:23

Hi honey thanks for your reply. I've been to the clinic they advised against the coil as they felt it would be too much on my cervix and reassured me the Ella one is the most effective emergency contraception. I have a lot of anxiety issues at the moment and they advised me to seek counselling instead as getting the coil in again it would be counterproductive so fingers crossed

KRx13 Thu 08-Feb-18 13:10:22

Just wanted to let you know Ellaone is pretty good from the stats I read, although it scared me a bit because I took it I think 3 days after the accident hmm...but to warn you it made me 10 days late for my period, but it DID arrive!! Just wanted to reassure you in case you end up being late try not to panic like I did!! x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: