Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aura migraines - which contraception?

(14 Posts)
Rainyboooooo Thu 09-Nov-17 19:41:26

I haven’t used hormonal contraception for a few years, the last thing I used was the implant, which was ok but has left me with scarring on my arm as I had a very tricky removal.

I’m now in a position at the age of 37 where I want to reconsider my contraceptive options. However I’ve been researching and a lot seem to not be recommended if you suffer from migraines with aura, which I do.

I’ve considered the copper coil, but I’m a bit scared of possible cramping and heavy periods.

What do you use if you have migraine?

nooka Thu 09-Nov-17 20:04:22

My dd was told she could only use the minipill (progesterone only). Although weirdly when the two types she tried didn't work (she was taking them to avoid recurrent ovarian cysts) they said that the implant would be OK. Not sure if you'd be allowed a hormonal IUD or not, but otherwise you are pretty much limited to barrier methods.

Rainyboooooo Thu 09-Nov-17 20:13:27

Thanks nooka, that’s really helpful. To be honest, I’m not keen on the IUD anyway, maybe I should try for the implant again.

Mummaofboys Thu 09-Nov-17 20:21:57

Merina coil? No cramping side effects, no headache side effects but lasts for five years, just been to the doctors after the birth of my final child who says she thinks I should try this over the depo injection maybe you could consider it too.

museumum Thu 09-Nov-17 20:23:48

I have migraine with aura and have a mirena coil. It’s a very very low dose of hormones be as it’s delivered directly inside your uterus.

Rainyboooooo Thu 09-Nov-17 20:31:55

I hadn’t thought about the Mirena being a much lower dose of hormone. Do you feel it at all when it is in place?

Curiousgeorgey Thu 09-Nov-17 20:34:05

I have migraine with aura. Have a copper coil and had it for about 8 months and whilst the periods were very very heavy st first its definitely calmed down the last two months and I would recommend it now.

MozzchopsThirty Thu 09-Nov-17 20:35:09

I have the mirena also, I’m a migraine sufferer.
The hormone release is localised so no effect on you as a whole

I’m on my 3rd now and wouldn’t consider anything else

PeachesandPie Thu 09-Nov-17 20:35:54

Another recommendation for the mirena coil. I had the mini pill for 5 years before the coil which was fine too, but mirena is so much better! I had mine for 5 years and it had no negative impact on my migraines and I will definitely be having another once I am finished having children.

buzzingbrain247 Thu 09-Nov-17 20:36:55

I have a history of migraines with aura - haven't had one since I was about 12 but the doctor still can't prescribe oestrogen contraception because of the risk. I've had Mirena for a few months now and love it so far! You can't feel it at all once it's in, but you should check every so often that your strings are still there. smile

SheepyFun Thu 09-Nov-17 20:38:24

I'm on Cerezette for exactly this reason. I get light bleeding all the time, but no real period, and no period pain (which is great). I'm very similar in age to you, OP.

Rainyboooooo Thu 09-Nov-17 20:46:06

Thank you for all the replies, that’s been really helpful and I feel I have a few options to explore.

I’m a little wary because I was mis-prescribed a pill once that shouldn’t be given to people with aura migraines.

user71017 Fri 10-Nov-17 05:19:15

Noriday minipill is an alternative to cerazette

museumum Sat 11-Nov-17 13:04:21

You don’t feel the mirena after the first couple of days.
First couple of days you get cramping like a bad period but then your body seems to accept it and you don’t know it’s in.
I also have very very light periods on it - almost non existent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now