Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aura migraines - which contraception?

(16 Posts)
Rainyboooooo Thu 09-Nov-17 19:41:26

I haven’t used hormonal contraception for a few years, the last thing I used was the implant, which was ok but has left me with scarring on my arm as I had a very tricky removal.

I’m now in a position at the age of 37 where I want to reconsider my contraceptive options. However I’ve been researching and a lot seem to not be recommended if you suffer from migraines with aura, which I do.

I’ve considered the copper coil, but I’m a bit scared of possible cramping and heavy periods.

What do you use if you have migraine?

nooka Thu 09-Nov-17 20:04:22

My dd was told she could only use the minipill (progesterone only). Although weirdly when the two types she tried didn't work (she was taking them to avoid recurrent ovarian cysts) they said that the implant would be OK. Not sure if you'd be allowed a hormonal IUD or not, but otherwise you are pretty much limited to barrier methods.

Rainyboooooo Thu 09-Nov-17 20:13:27

Thanks nooka, that’s really helpful. To be honest, I’m not keen on the IUD anyway, maybe I should try for the implant again.

Mummaofboys Thu 09-Nov-17 20:21:57

Merina coil? No cramping side effects, no headache side effects but lasts for five years, just been to the doctors after the birth of my final child who says she thinks I should try this over the depo injection maybe you could consider it too.

museumum Thu 09-Nov-17 20:23:48

I have migraine with aura and have a mirena coil. It’s a very very low dose of hormones be as it’s delivered directly inside your uterus.

Rainyboooooo Thu 09-Nov-17 20:31:55

I hadn’t thought about the Mirena being a much lower dose of hormone. Do you feel it at all when it is in place?

Curiousgeorgey Thu 09-Nov-17 20:34:05

I have migraine with aura. Have a copper coil and had it for about 8 months and whilst the periods were very very heavy st first its definitely calmed down the last two months and I would recommend it now.

MozzchopsThirty Thu 09-Nov-17 20:35:09

I have the mirena also, I’m a migraine sufferer.
The hormone release is localised so no effect on you as a whole

I’m on my 3rd now and wouldn’t consider anything else

PeachesandPie Thu 09-Nov-17 20:35:54

Another recommendation for the mirena coil. I had the mini pill for 5 years before the coil which was fine too, but mirena is so much better! I had mine for 5 years and it had no negative impact on my migraines and I will definitely be having another once I am finished having children.

buzzingbrain247 Thu 09-Nov-17 20:36:55

I have a history of migraines with aura - haven't had one since I was about 12 but the doctor still can't prescribe oestrogen contraception because of the risk. I've had Mirena for a few months now and love it so far! You can't feel it at all once it's in, but you should check every so often that your strings are still there. smile

SheepyFun Thu 09-Nov-17 20:38:24

I'm on Cerezette for exactly this reason. I get light bleeding all the time, but no real period, and no period pain (which is great). I'm very similar in age to you, OP.

Rainyboooooo Thu 09-Nov-17 20:46:06

Thank you for all the replies, that’s been really helpful and I feel I have a few options to explore.

I’m a little wary because I was mis-prescribed a pill once that shouldn’t be given to people with aura migraines.

user71017 Fri 10-Nov-17 05:19:15

Noriday minipill is an alternative to cerazette

museumum Sat 11-Nov-17 13:04:21

You don’t feel the mirena after the first couple of days.
First couple of days you get cramping like a bad period but then your body seems to accept it and you don’t know it’s in.
I also have very very light periods on it - almost non existent.

Honey2468 Sun 26-Nov-17 02:16:53

Hey! I get migraine with aura - but only when on combined contraceptives. I bled continuously and heavily for nine months on implanon. I had a horrendous time with the coil, bleeding was constant from the minute I had it in, however the pain was the main factor and just got progressively worse. (I’m not trying to put you off of anything btw as every woman is so different). I’ve tried cerazette twice -constant bleeding again (6 months straight). Was then given cerelle. Bled for 3months straight but I’ve recently been told this is the exact same ingridient as cerazette, just a cheaper brand. I have also been offered (and therefore you could try) the mirena or the Jaydess. The Jaydess is a new, smaller version of the mirena with a really low hormone dose (supposed to be less painful on insertion but I have no experience here). Or there is a pill with the same active ingridient as the mirena, called norgeston (obv a higher dose but might be worth asking about. It is also the same active ingridient as the morning after pill -Levonelle). The other one with a different active ingridient is Noriday and it contains Norethisterone. I have tried 10 different types of contraception and although I have only been on this about 3weeks and having very painful and swollen breasts, this seems to be my miracle answer. I had all but given up hope if ever finding anything to work and I can’t believe how little side effects I am experiencing with it. I had to ask my dr about this though as most dr’s are mirena crazy and choose to spend there time badgering me about this instead of listening to me. The other option would be the jag/shot/injection, however my dr said he really would not recommend this to me because once it’s in, it’s in -cannot be removed and you cannot stop taking it if you experience bad side effects. Also, he said because it stays in the muscle it can stay in you system for a lot longer than the 3months intended and you could end up with bad side effects for possibly even years. I don’t know how you feel about a diaphragm although it’s not really very effective if you really, really don’t want kids however it is always still another option. I really hope you find something to suit you and I wish you all the best of luck. Just make sure you discuss all of your options and only try what you are comfortable with x

Ollivander84 Sun 26-Nov-17 02:31:21

I have a copper coil, it's my second one. Periods last a day longer, were fairly heavy anyway so not noticed a change there. No change in cramps that I've noticed
I love it, no hormones and I can forget about it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: