Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is crushing exhaustion a side effect of the implant?

(4 Posts)
TitsalinaBumSqoosh Wed 08-Nov-17 16:50:35

I’ve had the implant in for 4 months now, the last few weeks I’ve been having worsening crushing exhaustion, to the point where I’ve had to pull over the car today and set an alarm for 15 mins later and sleep because I was concerned my eyes were wanting to close. blush
This is getting ridiculous! Even with a good nights sleep I’m out like a light at 7pm and I feel awful with it, if I wake in the venting or the night I feel like I’m not really with it, slurring words, confusion and a general feeling of being unwell.
Apart from that I’m fine, if it wasn’t for the implant (and the fact that we’ve had sex once in 4 months) I’d be checking to see if I was pregnant because it’s reminiscent of that kind of exhaustion but this is worse.
Any ideas if this is an implant side effect or something else?

Triangularsquare Wed 08-Nov-17 16:55:09

Maybe this is what's happened to me too? I got it about 4 months ago. Last 6 weeks or so I've been overwhelmingly tired - which also coincided with bleeding starting and not stopping. Went to the docs to see if the bleeding is normal and to get a blood test to find out if it's making me iron deficient. Not got the results yet but maybe it not the bleeding but just the implant itself? Very interested to hear from others...

TitsalinaBumSqoosh Wed 08-Nov-17 18:28:12

I’ve had no bleeding at all. I hope someone might be able to shed some light.

Honey2468 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:48:40

Heyyyy! I felt the same on the implant years ago. I was already constantly bleeding from taking cerazette when the implant was inserted. I then bled for the entire 9 months I was forced to keep it I for. It was my first year of university but I still remember how tired it made me and how tough that year was. These were the only symptoms I suffered from the implant but like your self it made the implant completely useless as a contraceptive. I normally struggle to get to sleep at night and it takes me hours (I have always just been this way) but with the implant I could fall asleep at my desk, on the bus .... wherever and it didn’t matter how long I slept either, like 12 or 14 hours, I would wake up as tired as when I fell asleep. It might settle down with time. 4 months is nothing for an implant, most dr’s day the implanon needs at least a year before you will see any benefit from it. If it really is bothering you you could speak to your dr though, see if you have any other options which would better suit you,
Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now