Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coil Removal Question

(6 Posts)
Helga55 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:55:53

Thinking about having my coil removed, when it was last checked, the nurse had a job finding the strings 😳 Which left me thinking, if the strings can't be found, how is it removed?

dementedpixie Wed 08-Nov-17 16:01:43

Well, in my case I went to the family planning clinic first who couldn't remove it. They referred me to gynae at the hospital who had a go with a different instrument with no luck. I was then referred to get it out under general anaesthetic at the hospital day surgery unit. This all took several months and the coil went past the expiry date so had to take the mini pill alongside it. Expired in March, removed under GA in September.

Helga55 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:18:04

Oh @dementedpixie that doesn't sound great sad

Hopefully it won't come to that for me when it comes out

JaneEyre70 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:24:24

Apparently my cervix is very far back, and they always have trouble locating the strings on mine. Touch wood I've never had a problem with removal (had 3 out over last 15 years) and usually end up lying with a pillow under my hips and a pretty grim looking large speculum. The joys hmm.

BigGlasses Wed 08-Nov-17 16:25:59

I am wondering the same. I had my coil replaced 18 months ago and I've never been able to feel the threads on this one. At my smear I mentioned I had a coil and the nurse said she couldn't see the threads either. Have since had an ultrasound and the coil is in place so they are happy just to leave it another 3 years. I asked how they would get it out and they said that they'll cross that bridge in 3 years time. Eek!

HopeAndJoy16 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:32:11

I had to have the strings on mine cut short for LLETZ after an abnormal smear. When it came to removing the coil a couple of years later they ended up giving me a local anaesthetic into my cervix and having a good poke about. I think the (male) nurse just didn't want to admit defeat ha! Didn't enjoy the local but the rest of it wasn't uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now