Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Depo injection to implant

(5 Posts)
hazeydays14 Tue 16-May-17 16:12:55

The family planning clinic I usually go to has now reduced services to under 21s only. The only other clinics in my area are during work hours and I've used most of my annual leave this year.

I'm thinking of switching from depo provera injection to the implant so I don't have to visit the GP every 3 months and I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this and how they coped?

I don't bleed on the injection which is a plus in my eyes. I've had slight weight gain which is probably because I've moved further from my job so I walk less. I'm hoping I'd be the same on the implant but have heard some horror stories about constant bleeding etc.

I don't want a coil because my periods were very heavy and painful and I like the fact I can avoid them!

OhFuds Tue 16-May-17 16:19:16

I have the implant, I'm on my 2nd one and haven't had a period since I got my 1st one put in. Thankfully I didn't get any of the bad side effects either.

hazeydays14 Tue 16-May-17 17:51:03

That's good to know, thanks. I'm hoping because I've not had some of the side effects the injection can give I will transition smoothly!

Newtothis11 Sat 20-May-17 20:22:30

I had the implant a few years back only side effect was no periods which I hated!.. so had it removed! You are entitled to time off work for medical appointments- you may want to be creative about what your appointment is though.

butterfly198615 Fri 02-Jun-17 18:47:57

I've not been on the injection. I've tried various pills that I didn't get on with. After I had my daughter the doctor suggested the implant as I won't get the side effects like the pill and it lasts 3 years so I decided to give it ago and it was the best things I have done. I don't have periods anymore only the occasional spotting every 4 months or so but I can deal with that only last a few days and then it's gone again.
When I first had it fitted I did have some bleeding for a few weeks. But no pain and not as heavy as normal.periods I persisted with it and it works for me. I know a few people give up on it because of the bleeding but I stuck with it and it's perfect for me and no side effects which is a bonus.
I've had it for 5 years now due to get it replaced again next year.
You don't even notice it and it's fantastic not having to go to pick up pills or get a prescription every month or 3 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now