Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coil - is it worth it?

(11 Posts)
moutonfou Tue 16-May-17 15:51:28

I'm 28, not yet had children. Had a terrible time with pills and am at my wits end, over the last decade I've tried:

Combined pill: really liked it, but got auras (no headache - just auras!) so banned from it.
Mini pill 1: terrible depression
Mini pill 2: persistent migraines and sure I'm gaining some weight too

I additionally have a family history of stroke and high blood pressure so I'm not too keen on putting this stuff into me for the next 20 years.

All that seems to make sense to me is the coil, but I've heard that they have a slightly lower success rate than the pill, and can bring on horror periods (when I have at least lived without period pain this past decade!)

Any advice/stories appreciated.

ShieldMaidenMamma Tue 16-May-17 15:56:28

Coil scratched partner and sometimes me. Finally found best solution for both of us in the implant.

ShieldMaidenMamma Tue 16-May-17 15:57:10

Also, periods just sort of stopped, which suited me!

milleniumhandandprawn Tue 16-May-17 16:03:58

Didn't suit me at all. Ended up with horrible BV that stopped as soon as it was removed and has never returned.

Coincidence? Maybe - but I'm not chancing it again!

Tinklebinkle Tue 16-May-17 16:12:11

Best thing ever. Took about 10 months to settle down but once it did, no periods, no pain, no more gynae problems. Love it.

Ollivander84 Tue 16-May-17 16:15:27

I'm on my second copper one. I don't cope well with hormones! No problems, periods slightly longer but only by a day

Lf803 Tue 16-May-17 16:16:27

Mirena coil is brilliant I couldn't fault it. Had no periods and didn't even know it was there. Cycle went back to normal as soon as it was taken out. Husband sometimes moaned it scratched him but haaaaaa tough!!!!

Borntoflyinfirst Tue 16-May-17 16:19:41

I was on the pill for years before children. Afterwards for some reason just can't tolerate the hormones so I'm 7 years into a 10 year copper coil. No problems at all. Periods light and regular. No help with pmt of course which is the downside for me.

justkeeponsmiling Tue 16-May-17 16:20:38

I've had my first copper one put in yesterday! Similar problems with hormones as you op, would never go back to the pill now. I feel 100x better since stopping it a few weeks ago.
Feeling fine since it was inserted, bit of discomfort and spotting but otherwise no problem. Haven't had sex yet! FWIW my GP said if it could be felt during sex it's probably the wrong size and needs to be swapped.

MrsJoyOdell Tue 16-May-17 16:22:37

My copper coil has been in situ for nearly a year. No problems at all - no PMT, no heavy periods. Love it!

Bert2e Tue 16-May-17 16:34:13

Love my copper coil - been in for 8 years, will stay for 2 more then I'll replace it with another one and that will be me done until the menopause :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now