Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Temperature charting as birth control (FAM)

(4 Posts)
LotisBlue Fri 12-May-17 23:11:48

has anyone done this?

i've recently restarted my periods after having DC2 and I want to chart my cycles, partly so I know when to expect my period as my cycles are all over the place.

Eventually I'd like to use it for birth control as I don't want to go back on the pill.

KimKardashiansArse Sat 13-May-17 07:50:53

I've used FAM - the whole thing, not just temping - for birth control and to get pregnant. When I used it as birth control we used the pull out method too. Done right, it's supposed to be pretty effective but I think I read it was best for people with regular cycles.

I only did it when it wouldn't have been a full on disaster to get pregnant (I'm currently intentionally pregnant!). I'm not sure if I'll go back to it after this DC. It's #3 and we shouldn't really have a fourth although I would like 4.

There's a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility which is brilliant.

LotisBlue Sat 13-May-17 13:51:53

Thanks for replying, I have read that book and I am doing the checking of cervical fluids as well as the temperature charting.

There's a few things I'm finding confusing, I am still breastfeeding and my cycles are pretty erratic which doesn't help. I wouldn't be confident enough to use it for birth control at the moment but I would like to know when to expect my period.

The book gives temperatures in Fahrenheit whereas my thermometer uses Celsius, and my temperatures on seem to rise by 1 decimal point after I think I have ovulated. The book says that you are supposed to wait until your temperature is. 2 degrees higher than it has been for the last six days, which never happens to me. Is there a different rule for Celsius I wonder?

Ekphrasis Sat 13-May-17 23:30:01

My periods were erratic for a couple of years while/post bf. You could couple it with cheap ovulation sticks but probable have to do 2 or 3 a day to catch it properly - sometimes I get a positive in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now